• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I recently had a new storage building built. It's on gravel, and mice are an issue. I can plug most openings along the base framing with silicone.

My first thought on the garage door threshold was concrete... but then I wondered if other options or ideas were available. 4" pvc cut in half and buried? Some of the rubber thresholds for concrete pads rigged in some fashion? Any innovative ideas? what says INGO?

DSCN3846_zpsffacuhef.jpg

Ignore the downspout. A drain will be trenched for it soon

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You could use pressure treated 4x4s or solid 4" concrete blocks set on edge. Like others said, a few bags of quick-crete and some rebar wouldn't be that much work either.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I recently had a new storage building built. It's on gravel, and mice are an issue. I can plug most openings along the base framing with silicone.

My first thought on the garage door threshold was concrete... but then I wondered if other options or ideas were available. 4" pvc cut in half and buried? Some of the rubber thresholds for concrete pads rigged in some fashion? Any innovative ideas? what says INGO?

DSCN3846_zpsffacuhef.jpg

Never paid it no mind, but.......yer splash-bock......is back'ards........:):

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

DSCN3846_zpsffacuhef.jpg

Sealing that building against mice is going to be verging on the impossible IME. I would just glue trap it to keep their numbers under control.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Doors will be easy. Around the sides, you could dig a trench, wouldn't have to be too big, but put a hardware cloth barrier in, overlapping and fastened to the siding, then down a bit into the ground. Stuff some copper wool in small holes and gaps. Glue traps are torture devices.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    :rolleyes:
    Like I said........it back'ards.........the DAM end go's ta the 'away' position......]
    :):

gotcha. yeah, it was fixed after the pic. trenched a channel for runoff temporarily until i can get my drain installed. Funny you showed that 2nd pic. it's how I tested to make sure it was sloping away.

As for mice, copper wool & mothballs. The corners appear to be a possible inlet. Corrugations on the garage door at each track also.
    From what I understand spray foam is not a good idea with steel buildings such as this?

Concrete it is! (for the thresholds). I figured this would be the answer, but you never know

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    gotcha. yeah, it was fixed after the pic. trenched a channel for runoff temporarily until i can get my drain installed. Funny you showed that 2nd pic. it's how I tested to make sure it was sloping away.

As for mice, copper wool & mothballs. The corners appear to be a possible inlet. Corrugations on the garage door at each track also.
    From what I understand spray foam is not a good idea with steel buildings such as this?

Concrete it is! (for the thresholds). I figured this would be the answer, but you never know

When you get done with all that, then you can carry your wife across your new threshold, give her a big kiss, get bonus points for doing some silly romantic thing, all WITHOUT getting your man card revoked because, after all, you did it in the garage! :):

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Electric fence charger. Deters mice and two legged varmits.

Good to know. We had a rock tumbler in the laundry room that I discovered deterred the mouses.

So I moved my downspout to the other end. the whole thing was level except for the last 4 feet near the original downspout :dunno:. Got my tile buried at that spout, and ran temporarily into another drain. If I get more gumption I'll run/bury that extension out into the yard. For now, I temporarily relocated the splash block to that runoff. I put it sideways, upside down, just for Harley :D

Supposed to be nice this week, so hopefully I can get the sill/threshold dug and poured this week. I kinda need to get this thing inspected first as I don't want to deal with busting that up if something goes wrong with the inspection

Top Bottom