• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    The Merrillville Gander Mountain is actually expanding their gun section and will become a "Gander Mountain Gun World" according to at least one employee. They are ridding the casual apparrel section, archery sections, and i think camping as well although they weren't clear on exactly what??? They will be expanding the gun section considerably I was told. I have never heard of "Gun World" before but he said it was still Gander Mountain owned.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Yeah, I heard that too. My question is, where are they gonna get the guns to fill the shelves? They don't have enough stock as it is... Either way, I welcome an increase in gun availability in the area.

Last edited:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Dicks is sitting on a bunch of AR rifles they won't sell to the public, maybe they will sell them to Gander who will mark them up 300% and sell to us.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I can't fathom Dick's doing anything with those ARs after taking the illogical step of pulling them off the shelves. Except maybe returning them to the manufacturer...

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I hope it's true. If so, then kudos to GM for not jumping on the hysteria bandwagon. Dick's loss will be GM's gain. Hopefully the hysteria ends soon and prices return to where they should be.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    They are like most gun shops they see a fast buck to be made and will jack up the price for their weapons. Like a store manager told me today we are not having a problem in sell guns so the price you see is what it is. Not long ago I got a 9mm and could have got the 40 at the same price and now it is 100.00 more. To bad their isn't a rush on B.S. Washington would be able to pay off the debt.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If people start going to Gander for their guns while wal-mart and the like don't have any, they won't go back to wal-mart even if they ever get them back. A solid business decision by Gander.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    FWIW: Wal-Mart still had guns in their turn-tables, as well as the usual amount of ammo. Blythe's still had plenty of guns on the wall, even though there was more holes in their selection than normal. I didn't see anyone's prices dramatically increased, including Cabela's.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Great News on Greenwood Gander. The Castleton store has light inventory. I have noticed that the selection and pricing at Gander stores - outside of major markets - is much better. For instance - the Coldwater, MI store has better pricing than Indy and I think better selection.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    I went to the Gander Mountain Gun World in Lafayette 2 weeks ago, and they had a HUGE inventory of guns in stock. Over 3500 rifles, shotguns, and handguns.
    Not a single AR-15, though. Well, unless you count the .22LR version. They did have 2 of those.
    Lots of ammo, but very light on .223 and .308.
    Overall, I was very impressed with the store. MUCH better than the Castleton store.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    lowend, I saw a bushmaster carbon 15 AR at blythes for 1600 bucks....its an 800 dollar gun. 100% increase seems a little dramatic to me.

Yeah, I dunno what to tell you about that, my post is almost 3 months old, and I don't work there. :dunno:

When they're in stock, I have Carbon 15s for $749.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    My son just got a job at the Merrillville Gander at the gun counter. I believe he said they were getting rid of the camping and fishing and hugely expanding the guns and the hunting.

I could be wrong - IANAGME (I Am Not A Gander Mountain Employee)LOL

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Yeah, I heard that too. My question is, where are they gonna get the guns to fill the shelves? They don't have enough stock as it is... Either way, I welcome an increase in gun availability in the area.

Well if the GM Castleton store is any example, YES. They expanded the gun department to cover the entire back wall of the store. The counter must be at least 50-60 ft long. I was there yesterday and they had 100s of handguns and rifles. I didn't count them but the guy behind the counter said they had 2000 guns on display. Every case was well filled.

This is the first time I've been there since they remodeled a few weeks ago. But the time before that they had almost nothing to sell. Perhaps they were saving up.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    My son just got a job at the Merrillville Gander at the gun counter. I believe he said they were getting rid of the camping and fishing and hugely expanding the guns and the hunting.

I could be wrong - IANAGME (I Am Not A Gander Mountain Employee)LOL

Well if the GM Castleton store is any example, YES. They expanded the gun department to cover the entire back wall of the store. The counter must be at least 50-60 ft long. I was there yesterday and they had 100s of handguns and rifles. I didn't count them but the guy behind the counter said they had 2000 guns on display. Every case was well filled.

This is the first time I've been there since they remodeled a few weeks ago. But the time before that they had almost nothing to sell. Perhaps they were saving up.

Yeah, I spoke to one of the employees at Merrillville about a week ago and he said that they will be a Gun World and will have 2500 guns in stock.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    lowend, I saw a bushmaster carbon 15 AR at blythes for 1600 bucks....its an 800 dollar gun. 100% increase seems a little dramatic to me.

Yea I also noticed their prices increase a lot, thats why you will never see me in there again, plus the "no firearms unless in a case useing for range allowed" sign made this decision easier. If you dont want my firearm in your place of business than you dont want me there.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I personally like seeing a place that is expanding in that direction rather then discontinuing the sale of guns. IF their price is too high and I can get it somewhere cheaper without having to spend additonal money to get to the cheaper place then I just won't buy it at Gander. On the other hand, if it's close enough in price and they have what I want then I will buy it at Gander.

I can imagine myself driving away from Gander because they were $20 higher than Cabelas; then driving all the way to Cabelas after stopping to buy a $4 cup of coffee at Starbucks that is gone by the time I arrive at Cabelas.

Gander may not be right for everyone on every gun but we should be embracing a store that is willing to expand the gun department rather than closing it. Especially in todays political climate.

I have bought from Gander, I have bought from Cabelas, I have bought from Buds, etc. Just depends on what I need and if the price is close enough.

Top Bottom