• ...and so much more!
  • leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    BBC News - Games 'permit' virtual war crimes

The study was carried out by two Swiss human rights organisations - Trial and Pro Juventute. Staff played the games in the presence of lawyers skilled in the interpretation of humanitarian laws.

Twenty games were scrutinised to see if the conflicts they portrayed and what players can do in the virtual theatres of war were subject to the same limits as in the real world.

"The practically complete absence of rules or sanctions is... astonishing," said the study.
    ***NEWS FLASH***
    This just in! Most adults can tell the difference between fantasy and reality along with that is lawful and appropriate in the real world!

At least there's a quote from some yahoo to say:
    "Perhaps what this research demonstrates is that the researchers misunderstand what games are, and how they are treated, intellectually, by the people who play them."

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    The authors said they did not wish to make games less violent, instead, they wrote: "[We] call upon game producers to consequently and creatively incorporate rules of international humanitarian law and human rights into their games."

Sounds like an interesting challenge, both from a game-making and playing perspective. There are already games that use elements of law enforcement to shape gameplay (run over too many pedestrians and get the cops on your tail), and I think it would be cool to see these elements incorporated into a standard wartime shooter.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Games also permit time travel by way of the save/load feature. Yet nobody's making a fuss about that, despite Star Trek's endless list of crimes against humanity in this regard.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Crap. This doesn't mean they are going to stop making the GTA series does it? I don't know what I would do without my fill of stealing cars, blowing things up, and soliciting hookers....

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    We really need the police to start a new division and enter the game world. Too many people are littering and double-parking in there... it's horrible.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    ***NEWS FLASH***
    This just in! Most adults can tell the difference between fantasy and reality along with that is lawful and appropriate in the real world!:

I think adults probably understand it , but I think that some games help shape the minds of kids who might have a severe lack of decent parenting .

Couple this with the TV they watch , the music they listen to and the knuckle heads they hang out with and it doesn't look good for society .

No fancy statistics or studies to quote , just the fact that kids didn't turn to guns , as quickly , to solve their problems when I was one .

You either knocked a tooth or two loose or you got used to being bullied but , you didn't shoot up the school over it .

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I think adults probably understand it , but I think that some games help shape the minds of kids who might have a severe lack of decent parenting .

Couple this with the TV they watch , the music they listen to and the knuckle heads they hang out with and it doesn't look good for society .

No fancy statistics or studies to quote , just the fact that kids didn't turn to guns , as quickly , to solve their problems when I was one .

You either knocked a tooth or two loose or you got used to being bullied but , you didn't shoot up the school over it .

That still wont stop kids from Role Playing at a friends house or whatever. There's only one way to get a kid to understand and practice wrong from right. Good parenting. And there's simply no way to change bad parents. The best you can do is work to get those kids with bad parents help in one way or another.

Changing the kinds of games, music, tv, etc produced won't change the way kids behave. And it only stifles the few freedoms youngin's have. :thumbsup:

Hey, I'm just a 16y/o trapped in a 28y/o's body! :p

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009

I know you are NOT suggesting that the rights of many be infringed upon so that people who should NOT have breed have a better chance of their offspring being on the same level as people who know what parenting is..

Let's just outlaw guns then the youth of Amerika won't be tempted to do something they saw in a video game.

Video games, TV, and Music don't make bad kids, BAD parents make BAD kids!!!!

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Crap. This doesn't mean they are going to stop making the GTA series does it? I don't know what I would do without my fill of stealing cars, blowing things up, and soliciting hookers....

Don't forget...... not only can you solicit hookers, but after they have "serviced" you, you can savagely murder them, and take not only your money back, but also whatever money they had on them at the time; proceeding to leave a string of dead hookers all over the city, without so much as tipping off the police....... Sorry, but the whole point to games is to BE fake. If the following were to occur in real life, there would be a race to an arrest - if nothing else but to allay the fears of the public.

If there is no DISTINCT line between reality and fantasy, the two often will become blurred, and corrupt minds will be easily confused. :twocents:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If there is no DISTINCT line between reality and fantasy, the two often will become blurred, and corrupt minds will be easily confused. :twocents:

Kinda like some of these role playing games? I've known people to dress up as their character in their game and play out the game IRL. :): Crazy Dungeons and Dragons freaks... :p

Oh, the fun part about GTA is driving down the sidewalk in a bobcat truck or hummer, errr, Patriot and see how many peds you can mow down before smacking a wall, or a car, or the police come... :laugh:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    CLARIFICATION This gist of it goes like this , junk in , junk out .

I'm not suggesting infringing on anyones' rights or banning anything , so read ONLY what is typed instead of reading anything into it .

Yes , bad parents are the start of it but I also think societal standards play a role in child development and adult behavior .

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    "From the BBC"

Ahh...

No Guns
    No Swords
    No Knifes