• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Going to buy a couple of game cameras and looking for some opinions about the various brands. Never used them before.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ifrared and digital is the way to go.

Mine are regular flash. I don't know what the battery situation is with newer ones but mine went through batteries so fast I just quit messing with them.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    make sure you get one that takes AA vs C.

My dad has a AA and he can use the lithium energizers for a long time. The cold doesn't drain as quickly. His other uses C and they dont make lithiums aside from recharges I think.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I read recently (possibly in the DNR newsletter) that Indiana is considering banning game cameras and trail timers and such, but the wording appeared that it would be during the hunting season only, so it sounds like they could still be used for pre-season scouting?
    Something to keep an eye on.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I read recently (possibly in the DNR newsletter) that Indiana is considering banning game cameras and trail timers and such, but the wording appeared that it would be during the hunting season only, so it sounds like they could still be used for pre-season scouting?
    Something to keep an eye on.
    Do you have anymore information on this. This is the first I heard about banning cameras during season.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I can't remember where I saw that, I'll have to see if I can find it and post a link or reference... Could have been in one of my dad's hunting magazines... I'll try to find it tomorrow if I can...

Outlawing Trail Cameras Coming to Your State Soon | Outdoor Life

There's a story about Montana doing it, what I read might have been a blanket heads-up to other states. I'll see if I can find something more specific when I'm more awake...

riverpine_hc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    SW Indiana
    ChasingGame.com is a great sight. All depends on what you want to spend. Primos Truth 60 works really well. Reconyx are $$$, but have the fastest trigger time out there.

Infrared is a must, as the deer will learn to bypass the cameras with normal flashes ...

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I use a Moultrie, I'm unsure of the model, but it does the job. Definitly go digital. Mine has the rechargable battery, I like that, only one battery to buy.

Here's a pic from mine.;)

ICAM0058.jpg

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    We have Cuddlebacks, real good carmera, pricey, but I've had them for years and they are holding up well. I'd buy them again.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Like Jack mentioned IR, next important thing is trigger speed. Most will take a good pic,but being able to trigger and get the pic is very important. I have some that take DD and some that take 6V (big square) batteries. You can pick up a couple solar chargers for 10 to 20 bucks. Batteries are not a big issue on any one I've owned. I've left them out the whole month of January and still had 55 to 85 percent charge. As you know cold weather really zaps batteries.
    I were gonna buy another Game cam I would be looking at trigger speed and cost.
    Another thing about cameras, Megapixels. You dont really need the latest like 10 mega pixels. 4 mega pixels are just fine. Save some bucks on a 2009 model. .02

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I have a Stealth Cam. The pictures are great and its pretty easy to use. Very affordable from Sportsmans Guide. It uses C batteries and that is a pain as was mentioned already. The first set lasted a long time, but last time I changed them they only lasted a week or so. I'm looking at a kit for using a 12 V battery.

Top Bottom