• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I wrote the following statement in response to article in the link.
    http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090511/NEWS/905110328

Mr. York, I believe its time you retire. Or quit. Or step down. Whatever it is you choose to do. But I would like you to leave. Every time I hear or read something from your mouth is seems to prove you have an elitist or uneducated view of something. Most recently I read your comments The News Sentinel's May 11, 2009 article “Semiautomatic rifles a 'hazard'; seizures are up”. This article first and for most was lacking in factual evidence, any real investigation about guns, a biased opinion stating guns were bad, and bad logic.

First off here are some statements that caught my eye as being opinionated and incorrect. The first paragraph, “ They can kill from more than four football fields away, shred police officer's vest, fire up to 75 bullets at a time-and they're increasingly showing up in criminals, hands, -Evan Goodenow”
    this paragraph insinuates that the only thing you can do with a gun is kill people, that the vest worn by police officers were ever designed to stop a rifle round and are impenetrable by pistol rounds, knives, or anything else for that matter. It also leads me to believe that there is a gun available that can discharge 75 rounds with one trigger squeeze. This doesn't exist, perhaps he ment to say 75 rounds without reloading? Either way it frames guns in a poor light and is poor reporting. You , Mr. York, should never have gotten involved with this article.

Next, any mildly educated gun enthusiast can tell you that 90 round drums, 100 round C-mags , and belts that can feed as many rounds as you can acquire and link together, are readily available for private sale in this country. This is not a problem. The reason this is not a problem is simply these items by themselves are useless. They cannot go off on there own and start shooting people. They require the help of people, to load, aim, and fire them. This article also suggests, through ATF firearms trace data, that every time a cop finds a gun and does a trace it is a stolen gun, I myself have had a firearm traced by the Indiana State police and returned without question, the officer just assumed a young man with a gun had to be involved in crime, or had acquired the gun through unsavory means.

The vest worn by police officers are designed to help stop injury, and many kitchen knives can penetrate these vest, the 7.62x25mm round, fired from any of several guns, using cheap surplus ammo can penetrate these vests. Not only rifle rounds, and not only from a semi automatic gun. Are you afraid of the Thompson center encore, or contender series of pistols that are a single shot. Are used by bullseye league shooters, because of their accuracy? And can be chambered in rounds like .30-06 or .308 winchester, either of which can penetrate a bullet proof vest?

This article also contains quotes from Paul Helmke, another man that has a history of using bad facts, figures, and misleading rhetoric to make guns sound bad. “ anyone can go in and buy an unlimited number, so we're starting to see a lot more used. They fire so many rounds so quickly. You can get close to 50 rounds off in 30 seconds... Do we really want to make it easier to kill people?” Here again this article uses opinion stated as fact to make guns look evil. Mr. Helmke states in the next article that , which is a spotlight feature on him, “that he went to D.C., where nobody listens to me anymore.” maybe people would listen if he used sound arguments, good logic, and if the campaign he leads had any type of sound evidence for there requests, look at there website, the states that receive the highest rating for having “good” gun control. Also share the highest crime rates in the union. But Mr. Helmke anyone cannot go in an buy an unlimited number of guns, you can only buy 3 per 4473 form. Any anyone that has ever filled out this form understands that not everyone gets to buy a gun. That the people that are buying guns may not be the most respectable or the most responsible, but if they buy a gun, its because they were approved, generally on the basis that they have no criminal record, and have done nothing wrong. Basically they were considered innocent, until proven guilty, maybe your familiar with the concept? These people buy guns , may go and hurt people, commit crimes, kill someone, or intimidate people into cooperation, however, most gun owners are not, and they shouldn't be lumped in with criminals until they do something to warrant it, not buy an inanimate object.

Mr. York the gun ban you mention was shown pretty conclusively to have no effect on crime. May I suggest you look into the Kates-Mauser study. I think its time you understand a few things, one you are a police officer, and as such you are a public servant, you chose to dedicate your life protecting the population of Fort Wayne and as such put your life, just as every other law enforcement officer does, in jeopardy every day. This does not mean you are our better, you are somehow all knowing and there for above us ordinary citizens, it means you took a job which requires you to risk your life.
    It doesn't mean that you deserve to have a gun and we don't. I could list off many officers throughout this state that are some of the best people I have ever meet, but not because of there badge, its because of who they are and how they conduct themselves.

Mr. York you are quoted with saying, “Its a weapon of war, not of sport.” I want to remind you that the second amendment is about leaving the population the ability to defend there rights and essential liberties. And it has absolutely nothing to do with hunting or sport. I also would like to ask, Why is okay for you and your officers to have semiautomatic pistols on there hip, shotguns in there car, and often times semiautomatic M4 styled carbines in there car. But it isn't okay for us to even posses them?

Mr. York it seems to me that as the police chief of Fort Wayne, IN. You believe that you are superior to the population, that somehow your status as a police officer means that you are a good person and there fore should be allowed weapons, but us ordinary citizens, us everyday folk should be unarmed, and therefore at the mercy of the criminal element or your own police force? This sounds very authoritarian and very dangerous thinking to me.

I will leave you with some points to ponder as you hopefully tender your resignation or rethink your outlook on firearms and the people you serve.

The average police response time is over four minutes, so providing you can get to the phone and make a call if someone breaks into your house wishing you harm, you ONLY have to survive four minutes till the cops get there.

I carry a handgun for self defense and to protect my property because the police aren't always there to protect me, have been told by the supreme court of this country that their job is to protect the general well being of the public and not the individual citizen. So I carry a gun because I may need it to protect myself, not to cause harm of to be used in a crime. I generally carry a glock, loaded with Speer gold dot ammunition because that is what the police ten to carry, on or off duty. Books can be written on why this is a good idea but to put it simply if the police are carrying it I would surmise it is effective.

Every day cars are stolen, people are killed, raped, and houses burglarized, and the police generally get there in time to fill out a report. Very rarely are they able to prevent a crime. I don't blame police for this I blame criminals, the police can't be everywhere at once, all a criminal has to do is be where the police aren't, I have guns to protect me, my family, and my belongings when the police aren't there.
    My name is Jeremiah Forbes, I am 22, a college graduate, a journeymen boilermaker, and an all around responsible citizen. Mr. York , please tell me why I shouldn't be allowed to protect myself?

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    any thoughts, would be great I want this to be realy polished before I send it to him, and the newspapers, and whereever else I can get it in front of people

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I think that is a very good letter. It lays out all of the inaccuracies that he has stated and your response to them. I would like to see what kind of response you get from him.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Thank you for offering it for criticism before you send it off.
    I hope that mine is taken in the constructive manner that I write it to you.
    Over all, well written and organized, IMO. I find it to be logical and reasonable. Some of your sentences are a little difficult to follow, however. Read it aloud, sentence by sentence, and the awkward sentences will become apparent as you find it difficult to use proper inflection.
    Please take a look at your use of "their" and "there" as well as your punctuation. Use "their" when you are talking about something belonging to someone.
    Rep for the message of your letter.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well thought-out letter. You should definitely proofread it for spelling and grammar, however.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Maybe shorten it. Not from the standpoint of not making good points, but look at it from the target audience's perspective.

He is apparently not someone that takes time or effort to research what he is making statements on. Probably not a lot of intelligence, or common sense. Likely has the attention span of a small salad bar. (I'm saying these things just half kidding.)

You may also consider taking out some of the elements that make it personal ("Mr. York, I believe its time you retire. Or quit. Or step down. Whatever it is you choose to do. But I would like you to leave."), that will make him less likely to read it.

Shorter is probably better. Use small words, bullet points, and citations behind your bullet points.

Maybe in crayon to make it less threatening. :laugh:

There must be a professional writer or editor on the forum that can make some more specific suggestions.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    thank you guys, I realize the spelling and grammar, going ot forward it to an old high school teacher for proof reading, I got an email response from David Codrea though saying that he liked the recommendation taht he quit, maybe I should save that to the end and suggest it more politley, and to the effect of ....if this is what you beleive, then maybe you shouldn't be involved with the police any longer.

again thanks for your thoughts I have this on several forums, and hoping to make a very strong attempt to wake a few people up. short is robably better since most people try to read very little these days.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    My name is Jeremiah Forbes, I am 22, a college graduate, a journeymen boilermaker, and an all around responsible citizen. Mr. York , please tell me why I shouldn't be allowed to protect myself?

OK now that I have picked my jaw off the floor, damn son!!! I picture my grandfather writing this article, not b/c of the emotion of point of view, but b/c of the tact and articulation! You have a gift and I respectfully tip my hat in your honor! Well done! Rep't.

P.S. Do you have any spare time to write a few "get out of the dog house" letters for me. I haven't pissed off my wife as of late, but having them on hand would be nice!

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    thank you for writing this. these guys (chiefs) forget sometimes that their job is not to take away our Liberty but to defend it. They ask the guy on beat to enforce their political crap. Hopefully, most of the good men and women on patrol will roll their eyes if or when FWPD tries to enforce a S/A ban, or better yet just refuse to enforce that.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    OK now that I have picked my jaw off the floor, damn son!!! I picture my grandfather writing this article, not b/c of the emotion of point of view, but b/c of the tact and articulation! You have a gift and I respectfully tip my hat in your honor! Well done! Rep't.

P.S. Do you have any spare time to write a few "get out of the dog house" letters for me. I haven't pissed off my wife as of late, but having them on hand would be nice!

let me know when you do **** her off I'll see what I can do . but thank you, most days I feel like I should have been born about 60-70 years earlier.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    He is apparently not someone that takes time or effort to research what he is making statements on. Probably not a lot of intelligence, or common sense. Likely has the attention span of a small salad bar. (I'm saying these things just half kidding.)

Hey, just because you are appointed chief of police by the mayor, doesn't necessarily make you the smartest cop on the force, just the most powerful.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    here is the second draft, longer but....

Mr. York, every time I hear or read something from your mouth is seems to prove you have an elitist or uneducated view of something. Most recently I read your comments The News Sentinel's May 11, 2009 article “Semiautomatic rifles a 'hazard'; seizures are up”. This article first and for most was lacking in factual evidence, any real investigation about guns, a biased opinion stating guns were bad, and bad logic.

First off here are some statements that caught my eye as being opinionated and incorrect. The first paragraph, “ They can kill from more than four football fields away, shred police officer's vest, fire up to 75 bullets at a time-and they're increasingly showing up in criminals hands -Evan Goodenow”
    this paragraph insinuates that the only thing you can do with a gun is kill people, that the vests worn by police officers were ever designed to stop a rifle round and are impenetrable by pistol rounds, knives, or anything else for that matter. It also leads me to believe that there is a gun available that can discharge 75 rounds with one trigger squeeze. Weapons such as that are not available on the civilian market. Perhaps he intended to say 75 rounds without reloading? Either way it frames guns in a poor light and is poor reporting. You , Mr. York, should never have gotten involved with this article.

Next, any mildly educated gun enthusiast can tell you that 90 round drums, 100 round C-mags , and belts that can feed as many rounds as you can acquire and link together, are readily available for private sale in this country. This is not a problem. The reason this is not a problem is simply these items by themselves are useless. They cannot go off on there own and start shooting people. They require the help of people, to load, aim, and fire them. This article also suggests, through ATF firearms trace data, that every time a cop finds a gun and does a trace it is a stolen gun, I myself have had a firearm traced by the Indiana State police and returned without question, the officer just assumed a young man with a gun had to be involved in crime, or had acquired the gun through unsavory means.

The vests worn by police officers are designed to help stop injury, but many kitchen knives can penetrate these vests. Not only rifle rounds, and not only from a semi automatic gun are capable of penetrating these vests. Are you afraid of the Thompson center encore, or contender series of pistols that are a single shot. Are used by bullseye league shooters, because of their accuracy? And can be chambered in rounds like .30-06 or .308 Winchester, either of which can penetrate a bullet proof vest? These pistols are most certainly not semiautomatic. Still, they could be used by the wrong type of person. They could be used by this type of person to harm a police officer, does that mean you will want to ban them as well? Maybe we should follow the British, wholesale and ban kitchen knives over three inches in length?

This article also contains quotes from Paul Helmke, another man that has a history of using bad facts, figures, and misleading rhetoric to demonize guns. Paul Helmke is a former mayor of Fort Wayne, and current president of the Brady Campaign. Does this mean someone in our own local government also wanted us to be unarmed subjects? “ Anyone can go in and buy an unlimited number, so we're starting to see a lot more used. They fire so many rounds so quickly. You can get close to 50 rounds off in 30 seconds... Do we really want to make it easier to kill people?” Here again this article uses opinion stated as fact to make guns look evil. Mr. Helmke, states in the next article that , which is a spotlight feature on him, “that he went to D.C., where nobody listens to me anymore.” Maybe people would listen if he used sound arguments, good logic, and if the campaign he leads had any type of sound evidence for their requests. Look at their website; the states that receive the highest rating for having “good” gun control share the highest crime rates in the union. According to the Brady campaign , at http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=ca, California is the safest state since they score 79 out of a possible 100 points. Indiana only receives 8 points, but would you rather walk the streets of Fort Wayne, or Los Angeles after sunset?

Please, someone, explain to me how the number of something you own makes that item more dangerous? If I have box of 500 matches, am I a more likely arson then someone with just one? Anyone that has ever filled out a 4473 form understands that not everyone gets to buy a gun. That the people that are buying guns may not be the most respectable or the most responsible, but if they buy a gun, its because they were approved, generally on the basis that they have no criminal record, and have done nothing wrong. Basically they were considered innocent, until proven guilty, maybe you are familiar with the concept? These people buy guns , may go and hurt people, commit crimes, kill someone, or intimidate people into cooperation. However, most gun owners are not, and they shouldn't be lumped in with criminals until they do something to warrant it, not buy an inanimate object.

Mr. York, the gun ban you mention was shown pretty conclusively to have no effect on crime. May I suggest you look into the Kates-Mauser study. I think its time you understand a few things: one you are a police officer, and as such you are a public servant. You chose to dedicate your life protecting the population of Fort Wayne and as such put your life, just as every other law enforcement officer does, in jeopardy every day. For this I thank you, and every other law enforcement officer. This does not make you our better, or somehow all-knowing and therefore above us ordinary citizens; it means you took a job which requires you to risk your life.It doesn't mean that you deserve to have a gun and we don't. I could list off many officers throughout this state that are some of the best people I have ever meet, but not because of their badge, its because of who they are and how they conduct themselves.

Mr. York, you are quoted with saying, “Its a weapon of war, not of sport.” I want to remind you that the second amendment is about leaving the population the ability to defend their rights and essential liberties; and that has absolutely nothing to do with hunting or sport. I also would like to ask why is okay for you and your officers to have semiautomatic pistols on there hip, shotguns in there car, and often times semiautomatic M4 styled carbines in there car; but it isn't okay for us to even posses them?

Mr. York, it seems to me that as the police chief of Fort Wayne, IN., you believe that you are superior to the population; that somehow your status as a police officer means that you are a good person and therefore should be allowed weapons, but us ordinary citizens, us everyday folk should be unarmed, and therefore at the mercy of the criminal element or your own police force? This sounds like very authoritarian and very dangerous thinking to me.

I will leave you with some points to ponder as you hopefully tender your resignation or rethink your outlook on firearms and the people you serve.

The average police response time is over four minutes, 4:58, according to the city of Fort Wayne so provided you can get to the phone and make a call if someone breaks into your house wishing you harm, you ONLY have to survive four minutes till the cops get there. (http://www.cityoffortwayne.org/index.php/content/view/1654/1670/ )

I carry a handgun for self defense and to my property because the police aren't always there to protect me. We have been told by the supreme court of this country, over ten times see; Warren v. District of Columbia, that the job of law enforcement is to protect the general well being of the public and not the individual citizen. So I carry a gun because I may need it to protect myself, not to cause harm of to be used in a crime. I generally carry a Glock, loaded with Speer gold dot ammunition because that is what the police tend to carry, on or off duty. Books can be written on why this is a good idea, but to put it simply if the police are carrying it I would surmise it is effective.

Every day cars are stolen, people are killed, raped, and houses burglarized, and the police generally get there in time to fill out a report. Very rarely are they able to prevent a crime. I don't blame police for this; I blame criminals the police can't be everywhere at once; all a criminal has to do is be where the police aren't, I have guns to protect me, my family, and my belongings when the police aren't there. Why should it matter if it holds one round or one hundred?

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    A couple grammatical errors left but much smoother than the first draft. If I may offer a few final proofreading suggestions? Spelling, word choice, punctuation corrections are in red, blue changes are sentence structure and ease of reading. Feel free to ignore. You're getting repped for this anyway.
    here is the second draft, longer but....

Mr. York, every time I hear or read something from your mouth is seems to prove you have an elitist or uneducated view of something. Most recently I read your comments The News Sentinel's May 11, 2009 article “Semiautomatic rifles a 'hazard'; seizures are up”. This article, first and foremost, was lacking in factual evidence, lacked any real investigation about guns, provided a biased opinion stating guns were bad, and relied on bad logic.

First off, here are some statements that caught my eye as being opinionated and incorrect. The first paragraph, “ They can kill from more than four football fields away, shred police officer's vest, fire up to 75 bullets at a time-and they're increasingly showing up in criminals hands -Evan Goodenow”
    This paragraph insinuates that the only thing you can do with a gun is kill people. Further, it falsely suggests that the vests worn by police officers were ever designed to stop a rifle round and are impenetrable by pistol rounds, knives, or anything else for that matter. It also leads me to believe that there is a gun available to ordinary citizens that can discharge 75 rounds with one trigger squeeze. Weapons such as that are not available on the civilian market. Perhaps he intended to say 75 rounds without reloading? Either way it frames guns in a poor light and is poor reporting. You, Mr. York, should never have gotten involved with this article.

Next, any mildly educated gun enthusiast can tell you that 90 round drums, 100 round C-mags, and belts that can feed as many rounds as you can acquire and link together, are readily available for private sale in this country. This is not a problem. The reason this is not a problem is simply these items by themselves are useless. They cannot go off on their own and start shooting people. They require the help of people, to load, aim, and fire them. This article also suggests, through ATF firearms trace data, that every time a cop finds a gun and does a trace it is a stolen gun. I myself have had a firearm traced by the Indiana State police and returned to me without question; the officer just assumed a young man with a gun had to be involved in crime, or had acquired the gun through unsavory means.

The vests worn by police officers are designed to help stop injury, but many kitchen knives can penetrate these vests. Not only rifle rounds, and not only bullets from a semi automatic gun are capable of penetrating these vests. Are you afraid of the Thompson center encore, or contender series of pistols that are single shot firearms used by bullseye league shooters because of their accuracy? These weapons can be chambered in rounds like .30-06 or .308 Winchester, either of which can penetrate a bullet proof vest. These pistols are most certainly not semiautomatic. Still, they could be used by the wrong type of person. They could be used by this type of person to harm a police officer, does that mean you will want to ban them as well? Maybe we should follow the British wholesale and ban kitchen knives over three inches in length?

This article also contains quotes from Paul Helmke, another man that has a history of using bad facts, figures, and misleading rhetoric to demonize guns. Paul Helmke is a former mayor of Fort Wayne, and current president of the Brady Campaign. Does this mean someone in our own local government also wanted us to be unarmed subjects? “ Anyone can go in and buy an unlimited number, so we're starting to see a lot more used. They fire so many rounds so quickly. You can get close to 50 rounds off in 30 seconds... Do we really want to make it easier to kill people?” Here again this article uses opinion stated as fact to make guns look evil. Mr. Helmke, states in the next article that , which is a spotlight feature on him, that he "went to D.C., where nobody listens to me anymore.” Maybe people would listen if he used sound arguments, good logic, and if the campaign he leads had any type of sound evidence for their requests. Look at their website; the states that receive the highest rating for having “good” gun control share the highest crime rates in the union. According to the Brady campaign , at http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=ca, California is the safest state since they score 79 out of a possible 100 points. Indiana only receives 8 points, but would you rather walk the streets of Fort Wayne, or Los Angeles after sunset?

Please, someone, explain to me how the number of something you own makes that item more dangerous? If I have box of 500 matches, am I a more likely to commit arson then someone with just one? Anyone that has ever filled out a 4473 form understands that not everyone gets to buy a gun. That the people that are buying guns may not be the most respectable or the most responsible, but if they buy a gun, its because they were approved, generally on the basis that they have no criminal record, and have done nothing wrong. Basically they were considered innocent, until proven guilty, maybe you are familiar with the concept? These people buy guns , may go and hurt people, commit crimes, kill someone, or intimidate people into cooperation. However, most gun owners are not, and they shouldn't be lumped in with criminals until they do something to warrant it, not buy an inanimate object.

Mr. York, the gun ban you mention was shown pretty conclusively to have no effect on crime. May I suggest you look into the Kates-Mauser study. I think its time you understand a few things: one you are a police officer, and as such you are a public servant. You chose to dedicate your life protecting the population of Fort Wayne and as such put your life, just as every other law enforcement officer does, in jeopardy every day. For this I thank you, and every other law enforcement officer. This does not make you our better, or somehow all-knowing and therefore above us ordinary citizens; it means you took a job which requires you to risk your life.It doesn't mean that you deserve to have a gun and we don't. I could list off many officers throughout this state that are some of the best people I have ever meet, but not because of their badge, its because of who they are and how they conduct themselves.

Mr. York, you are quoted with saying, “Its a weapon of war, not of sport.” I want to remind you that the second amendment is about leaving the population the ability to defend their rights and essential liberties; and that has absolutely nothing to do with hunting or sport. I also would like to ask why is it okay for you and your officers to have semiautomatic pistols on their hips, shotguns in their car, and often times semiautomatic M4 styled carbines in their car; but it isn't okay for us to even posses them?

Mr. York, it seems to me that as the police chief of Fort Wayne, IN., you believe that you are superior to the population; that somehow your status as a police officer means that you are a good person and therefore should be allowed weapons, but us ordinary citizens, us everyday folk should be unarmed, and therefore at the mercy of the criminal element or your own police force? This sounds like very authoritarian and very dangerous thinking to me.

The average police response time is over four minutes: 4:58, according to the city of Fort Wayne. So provided you can get to the phone and make a call if someone breaks into your house wishing you harm, you ONLY have to survive four minutes till the cops get there. (http://www.cityoffortwayne.org/index.php/content/view/1654/1670/ )

I carry a handgun for self defense and to my property because the police aren't always there to protect me. We have been told by the supreme court of this country, over ten times see; Warren v. District of Columbia, that the job of law enforcement is to protect the general well being of the public and not the individual citizen. So I carry a gun because I may need it to protect myself, not to cause harm or to be used in a crime. I generally carry a Glock, loaded with Speer Gold Dot ammunition because that is what the police tend to carry, on or off duty. Books can be written on why this is a good idea, but to put it simply if the police are carrying it I would surmise it is effective.

Every day cars are stolen, people are killed or raped, and houses burglarized, and the police generally get there in time to fill out a report. Very rarely are they able to prevent a crime. I don't blame police for this; I blame criminals the police can't be everywhere at once; all a criminal has to do is be where the police aren't, I have guns to protect me, my family, and my belongings when the police aren't there. Why should it matter if it holds one round or one hundred?

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    You wanted feedback...

I wrote the following statement in response to article in the link.
    http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090511/NEWS/905110328

Mr. York, I believe its time you retire. Or quit. Or step down. Whatever it is you choose to do. But I would like you to leave. Every time I hear or read something from your mouth is seems to prove you have an elitist or uneducated view of something. Most recently I read your comments The News Sentinel's May 11, 2009 article “Semiautomatic rifles a 'hazard'; seizures are up”. This article first and foremost was lacking in factual evidence, any real investigation about guns, showeda biased opinion stating guns were bad, and bad logic.

First off here are some statements that caught my eye as being opinionated and incorrect. The first paragraph, “ They can kill from more than four football fields away, shred police officer's vest, fire up to 75 bullets at a time-and they're increasingly showing up in criminals, hands, -Evan Goodenow”
    This paragraph insinuates that the only thing you can do with a gun is kill people, that the vest worn by police officers were ??? Weren't or ever ever designed to stop a rifle round and are impenetrable by pistol rounds, knives, or anything else for that matter. It also leads me to believe that there is a gun available that can discharge 75 rounds with one trigger squeeze. This doesn't exist, perhaps he meant to say 75 rounds without reloading? Either way it frames guns in a poor light and is poor reporting. You , Mr. York, should never have gotten involved with this article.

Next, any mildly educated gun enthusiast can tell you that 90 round drums, 100 round C-mags , and belts that can feed as many rounds as you can acquire and link together, are readily available for private sale in this country. This is not a problem. The reason this is not a problem is simply these items by themselves are useless.
    (and bulky?) They cannot go off on there own and start shooting people. They require the help of people, to load, aim, and fire them. This article also suggests, through ATF firearms trace data, that every time a police officer finds a gun and does a trace it is a stolen gun. I myself have had a firearm traced by the Indiana State police and returned without question, the officer just assumed a young man with a gun had to be involved in crime, or had acquired the gun through unsavory means.

The vest
    s worn by police officers are designed to help stop injury, and many kitchen knives can penetrate these vests, the 7.62x25mm round, fired from any of several guns, using cheap surplus ammo can penetrate these vests, not only rifle rounds, and not only from a semi automatic gun. Are you afraid of the Thompson center encore, or contender series of pistols that are a single shotare used by bullseye league shooters, because of their accuracy? Afraid or aware?? These pistols can be chambered in rounds like .30-06 or .308 winchester, either of which can penetrate a bullet proof vest .

This article also contains quotes from Paul Helmke, another man that has a history of using bad facts, figures, and misleading rhetoric to make guns sound bad.
    "Anyone can go in and buy an unlimited number, so we're starting to see a lot more used. They fire so many rounds so quickly. You can get close to 50 rounds off in 30 seconds... Do we really want to make it easier to kill people?” Here again this article uses opinion stated as fact to make guns look evil. Mr. Helmke states in another article thatWhy was there a space here?, which is a spotlight feature on him, “that he went to D.C., where nobody listens to me anymore.” Maybe people would listen if he used sound arguments, good logic, and if the campaign he leads had any type of sound evidence for their requests. Look at their website, the states that receive the highest rating for having “good” gun control also share the highest crime rates in the Union. But Mr. Helmke, anyone cannot go in and buy an unlimited number of guns, you can only buy 3 per 4473 form. get rid of "And" Anyone who has ever filled out this form understands that not everyone gets to buy a gun. Get rid of "that" The people that are buying guns may not be the most respectable or the most responsible, but if they do buy a gun, its because they were approved, generally on the basis that they have no criminal record. I would ditch "and have done nothing wrong." Not sure if this sentence should be here "Basically they were considered innocent, until proven guilty, maybe your familiar with the concept?" These people who buy guns another space..., delete "may go and hurt people," commit crimes, kill someone, or intimidate people into cooperation, are not going to obey any new gun laws. they will still get weapons somewhere. However, most gun owners are not criminals,and they shouldn't be lumped in with criminals until they do something to warrant it, not bu?? Spelling!y an inanimate object.

Mr. York, the gun ban you mention was shown pretty conclusively to have no effect on crime
    , may I suggest you look into the Kates-Mauser study.run on paragraphs? these are separate thoughts. I think its time you understand a few things, one you are a police officer, and as such you are a public servant, you chose to dedicate your life protecting the population of Fort Wayne and as such put your life, just as every other law enforcement officer does, in jeopardy every day. This does not mean you are ditch "our"our better, you are somehow all knowing and there spaces again for above us ordinary citizens, it means you took a job which requires you to risk your life.
    Being a police officer doesn't mean that you deserve to have a gun and we who is "we"? general population? don't. I could list no "off" many officers throughout this state that are some of the best people I have ever meet,change to "met" but not because of their (again) badge, it's because of who they are and how they conduct themselves.

Mr. York
    , you are quoted with saying, “It's a weapon of war, not of sport.” I want to remind you that the second amendmentShould "Second Amendment" be capatalized? is about giving the population the ability to defend their rights and essential liberties, and it has absolutely nothing to do with hunting or sport. I also would like to ask, why is okay for you and your officers to have semiautomatic pistols on there What you said is "Why is it ok for you to have a gun on there hip" Change "there" which is the wrong "there" anyway to "your" hip, shotguns in your car, and often times semiautomatic M4 styled carbines in Again... car, but it isn't okay for us who is us? to even posses them?

Mr. York
    , it seems to me that as the police chief of Fort Wayne, IN you believe that you are superior to the population, that somehow your status as a police officer means that you are a good person and therefore should be allowed weapons, but we ordinary citizens, we everyday folk should be unarmed, and therefore at the mercy of the criminal element or your own police force? This sounds very authoritarian and very dangerous thinking to me. This is the third time this point has been brought up.

The average police response time is over four minutes, so providing you can get to the phone and make a call if someone breaks into your house wishing you harm, you ONLY have to survive four minutes till the
    police arrive.

I carry a handgun
    for self defense and to protect my property because the police aren't always there to protect me. I have been told by the supreme court capatalize Supreme Court of this country that their jobSupreme Court's job? is to protect the general well being of the public and not the individual citizen. Therefore, I carry a gun because I may need it to protect myself, not to cause harm or use in a crime. I generally carry a Glock no comma loaded with Speer Gold Dot ammunition because that is what the police tend to carry, on or off duty. Books can be written on why this is a good idea but to put it simply if the police are carrying it I would surmise it is effective.

Every day cars are stolen, people are killed, raped, and houses burglarized, and the police generally get there in time to fill out a report. Very rarely are they able to prevent a crime. I don't blame police for this I blame criminals
    . Because the police can't be everywhere at once, all a criminal has to do is be where the police aren't. I have guns to protect me, my family, and my belongings when the police aren't there.

In my opinion this letter is long and tends to ramble. There were a few points made more than once.

I have had lots of English classes in school, and bad spelling and grammar bug me, as I'm sure you can tell. Also, make sure that your spaces are evenly used, one space between words and two between sentences.

I hate to see someone put out a letter such as this and have it full of bad grammar.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    You wanted feedback...

In my opinion this letter is long and tends to ramble. There were a few points made more than once.

I have had lots of English classes in school, and bad spelling and grammar bug me, as I'm sure you can tell. Also, make sure that your spaces are evenly used, one space between words and two between sentences.

I hate to see someone put out a letter such as this and have it full of bad grammar.

Thanks I 'll look at these tomorrow. hopefully I'll form a final draft. Thanks for your imput, and grammatical help. It's kinda unfair to call this my own work after all these corrections and suggestions. I beleive though that anything I do as a gun owner works to form the opinions everyone keeps about gun owners, so that is why I asked for criticisms, and editing help. so I don't make us all look like jack asses

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Okay third draft. Hopefully this is more grammatically correct, and rambles less.

Mr. York, every time I hear or read something from your mouth is seems to prove you have an elitist or uneducated view of something. Most recently I read your comments in The News Sentinel's May 11, 2009 issue. The article I am referencing is “Semiautomatic rifles a 'hazard'; seizures are up”. This article, first and foremost was lacking in factual evidence, lacked any real investigation about guns, provided biased opinion stating guns were bad, and relied on bad logic.
    The first paragraph, “ They can kill from more than four football fields away, shred police officer's vest, fire up to 75 bullets at a time-and they're increasingly showing up in criminals hands -Evan Goodenow” this paragraph insinuates that the only thing you can do with a gun is kill people. Further, it falsely suggests that the vests worn by police officers weren ever designed to stop a rifle round and are impenetrable by pistol rounds, knives, or anything else for that matter. It also leads me to believe that there is a gun available to ordinary citizens that can discharge 75 rounds with one trigger squeeze. Weapons such as that are not available on the civilian market. Perhaps he intended to say 75 rounds without reloading? Either way it frames guns in a poor light and is poor reporting. You, Mr. York, should never have gotten involved with this article.
    Next, any mildly educated gun enthusiast can tell you that 90 round drums, 100 round C-mags , and belts that can feed as many rounds as you can acquire and link together, are readily available for private sale in this country. This is not a problem. The reason this is not a problem is simply these items by themselves are useless. They cannot go off on their own and start shooting people. They require the help of people, to load, aim, and fire them. This article also suggests, through ATF firearms trace data, that every time a police officer finds a gun and does a trace it is a stolen gun. I myself have had a firearm traced by the Indiana State police and returned to me without question; the officer just assumed a young man with a gun had to be involved in crime, or had acquired the gun through unsavory means.
    The vests worn by police officers are designed to stop injury, but many kitchen knives can penetrate these vests. Are you afraid of the Thompson center encore, or contender series of pistols that are single shot firearms, used by bullseye league shooters, because of their accuracy? These firearms can be chambered in rounds like .30-06 or .308 Winchester, either of which can penetrate a bullet proof vest? These pistols are most certainly not semiautomatic. Still, they could be used by the wrong type of person. They could be used by this type of person to harm a police officer, does that mean you will want to ban them as well? Maybe we should follow the British, and ban kitchen knives over three inches in length?
    This article also contains quotes from Paul Helmke, another man that has a history of using bad facts, figures, and misleading rhetoric to demonize guns. Paul Helmke is a former mayor of Fort Wayne, and current president of the Brady Campaign. Does this mean someone in our own local government also wanted us to be unarmed subjects? “ Anyone can go in and buy an unlimited number, so we're starting to see a lot more used. They fire so many rounds so quickly. You can get close to 50 rounds off in 30 seconds... Do we really want to make it easier to kill people?” Here again this article uses opinion stated as fact to make guns look evil. Mr. Helmke, states in the next article, which is a spotlight feature on him, “went to D.C., where nobody listens to me anymore.” Maybe people would listen if he used sound arguments, good logic, and if the campaign he leads had any type of sound evidence for their requests. Look at their website; the states that receive the highest rating for having “good” gun control share the highest crime rates in the Union. According to the Brady campaign , at http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=ca, California is the safest state since they score 79 out of a possible 100 points. Indiana only receives 8 points, but would you rather walk the streets of Fort Wayne, or Los Angeles after sunset?

Please, someone, explain to me how the number of something you own makes that item more dangerous? If I have box of 500 matches, am I more likely to commit arson then someone with just one? Anyone that has ever filled out a 4473 form understands that not everyone gets to buy a gun. That these people who buy guns may not be the most respectable or the most responsible, but if they buy a gun, its because they were approved, generally on the basis that they have no criminal record. Anyone wanting to commit a crime will do so, regardless of what firearm laws get passed. All more gun legislation does is restrict the ability of law abiding citizens to acquire guns. However, most gun owners are not criminals, and they shouldn't be lumped in with criminals until they do something to warrant it. The purchase of an inanimate object should not make a person guilty.
    I think its time you understand a few things: one you are a police officer, and as such you are a public servant. You chose to dedicate your life protecting the population of Fort Wayne and as such put your life, just as every other law enforcement officer does, in jeopardy every day. For this I thank you, and every other law enforcement officer. This does not make you better, or somehow all-knowing and therefore above us ordinary citizens; it means you took a job which requires you to risk your life. I could list off many officers throughout this state that are some of the best people I have ever meet, but not because of their badge, its because of who they are and how they conduct themselves.
    Mr. York, you are quoted with saying, “It's a weapon of war, not of sport.” I want to remind you that the Second Amendment is about leaving the population the ability to defend their rights and essential liberties; and that has absolutely nothing to do with hunting or sport. Why is it okay for you to have pistols on your hips, shotguns and often times semiautomatic M4 styled carbines in your car; but it isn't okay for The general population to even posses them? Mr. York, it seems to me that as the police chief of Fort Wayne, IN., you believe that they general population should be unarmed, and therefore at the mercy of the criminal element or your own police force?
    The average police response time is over four minutes, 4:58, according to the city of Fort Wayne. So provided you can get to the phone and make a call if someone breaks into your house wishing you harm, you ONLY have to survive four minutes till the police arrive. (http://www.cityoffortwayne.org/index.php/content/view/1654/1670/ )
    I carry a handgun for self defense and to my property because the police aren't always there to protect me. We have been told by the Supreme Court of this country, over ten times see; Warren v. District of Columbia, that the job of law enforcement is to protect the general well being of the public and not the individual citizen. So I carry a gun because I may need it to protect myself, not to cause harm or to be used in a crime.
    Every day cars are stolen, people are killed, raped, and houses burglarized, and the police generally get there in time to fill out a report. Very rarely are they able to prevent a crime. I don't blame police for this; I blame criminals. Because the police can't be everywhere at once; all a criminal has to do is be where the police aren't, I have guns to protect me, my family, and my belongings when the police aren't there. Why should it matter if it holds one round or one hundred?

Top Bottom