• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    HoosierHandgunner recently posted a great video called Glock vs Colt. Got me thinkin. I'm in the market for a new carry gun and for a long time I've been sold on a 1911. But here recently I'm not so sure. I'll try to answer some questions before they're asked. My first carry gun, which I stupidly sold, was a Glock 19; so I'm familiar with the platform. I've never owned/shot a 1911. My current carry gun is a 9mm SCCY CPX-1 that I'm not happy with for many reasons but that's not a discussion for this thread. I'm not picky about caliber. I can only afford one handgun right now so it kinda has to be everything: carry gun, range gun, nightstand gun. It won't be an EDC because I can't carry at work so carrying a big heavy full size for a few hours a week while I'm outside the house won't bother me. Here's my dilemma: I like the simplicity of a Glock. I like the capacity advantage of a Glock. But I wasn't impressively accurate with my 19, it felt top heavy to my untrained hands. On the other hand, I really like a nice single action trigger. I like a gun with good weight and balance. The 1911's I've fondled felt great in my hands, trigger felt great. But I've really fell in love with the Glock 34/35 platform lately. So do I go with a 1911 because it feels better in my hands? Or do go with the capacity/simplicity of a Glock and learn to be accurate with it? I don't mind spending the extra cash on a decent 1911 ($1,000-$1,200). Or could I have a really slick Glock for that price? I don't know. Help me out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Myself being a self proclaimed 1911 addict I say look at the Springfields. You can get hooked up with a really nice Range officer for hi $700's or a loaded in the $800's. Yes...8 rd. capacity but just hit what you are aiming at. We have 8 and 10 rd. mags for ours. 8's for EDC and 10's for the range. I have 1 of each and both are capable of shooting beyond my ability's.

In the end it is what you feel confident with in "Your" hand. Not what I say you should buy. A Glock never fit my hand or I just did not want it to.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Define "decent." I spent $325 on a "nearly new" Taurus 1911 and it has NEVER disappointed. It just goes "bang" every time you pull the trigger. Do the "decent" 1911's sound better? I figure after 500 rounds with absolutely no problems.... You could probably find a used 1911 and a Glock and pay less than the price of your "decent" 1911....best of both worlds to me.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    In the end I started carrying a Glock for the lower weight and higher capacity. My EDC is a Gen 4 G19 or a Gen 3 G30 depending on what full-size version I am shooting in competition (the 34 or the 21). A good 1911 is to be enjoyed and everybody should own at least 1. But, I'd go with the G34 or 35 IF you were saddled with only having one gun to do everything with. I love 1911s and .45s but if I had to only have one handgun at this point, it would be my Glock 34 because it can do just about everything very well. You do have to look at the cost/availability of ammo as a factor, too.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    1911's weigh more but are slimmer and therefore easier to conceal.. if that concerns you.

I like churchmouse's advice. Even a springfield milspec is a great gun. I sold a milspec and bought a TRP, but truth be told I shot the milspec better.

Either the G34 or a 1911 will both be good for you. I would advise you to buy the 34 or a less expensive 1911 and have money left over for ammo.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I like both platforms but, I do favor the Glock. For one reason, They are have been more reliable for me. I have never had an issue with a Glock that wasn't ammo related. I can't say that for any 1911 that I have owned. But, I'll never go with out a 1911 either. (I only have one 1911 right now.) but, I do plan on getting a couple more at some point.

The Glock 34 and, G35 are great pistols IMHO. The only thing I don't care for are the stock sights but, that is easily remedied. They are not any lager than a Government Model, just a tad thicker. So, if you can can carry a full size 1911, the Glock will be fine.

There are a couple more to check out if the feel of a Glock bothers you.

The S&W M&P Pro Series 5"

Product: Model M&P9

The Springfield XDM 5.25

Springfield Armory - Introducing the XD(M)® Polymer Handgun

Last but, certainly not least a CZ 75 variant.

CZ-USA -> CZ 75 SP-01

Good luck in your search.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you are truly desiring to find the right gun for you, it may take a while. Whatever you do you want to buy quality, whether it's a polymer or metal gun. That way, you can quickly get out of it and into something else.

I am not a great supporter of guns that are exclusively for home use. Meaning, I would never buy a gun that I never intend to take outside of the house or never carry. If a gun is good enough for the nightstand, it's good enough to possibly carry. That said, if you find that you like the 1911 platform and shoot it well, get it and if you choose to carry it one day, just find the right equipment that will allow you to do so.

I love the 1911, but I would never carry it as an EDC, so I would not use it for home defense, but that's just my little quark. I like the Glock and M&P lines, but after a long time, I'm now carrying the PPQ, which gives me the best of both platforms. Just remember, you are not married to the gun, so if you get something and train with it for a while and find there are things you don't like, just find something that better fits your needs.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you are truly desiring to find the right gun for you, it may take a while. Whatever you do you want to buy quality, whether it's a polymer or metal gun. That way, you can quickly get out of it and into something else.

I am not a great supporter of guns that are exclusively for home use. Meaning, I would never buy a gun that I never intend to take outside of the house or never carry. If a gun is good enough for the nightstand, it's good enough to possibly carry. That said, if you find that you like the 1911 platform and shoot it well, get it and if you choose to carry it one day, just find the right equipment that will allow you to do so.

I love the 1911, but I would never carry it as an EDC, so I would not use it for home defense, but that's just my little quark. I like the Glock and M&P lines, but after a long time, I'm now carrying the PPQ, which gives me the best of both platforms. Just remember, you are not married to the gun, so if you get something and train with it for a while and find there are things you don't like, just find something that better fits your needs.

Since when did you start carrying the PPQ?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Thanks for all the comments. They've all been extremely helpful. Got a PM from Charlie the Glock man so I'm definitely gonna try to hook up with those guys and get some advice for both ends of the spectrum. Keep the comments and critiques coming!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Glock, M&P, or PPQ all perform equally well in my book. I carry and shoot all three in 9mm, and can't tell any difference as it relates to recoil or accuracy. I think the M&P is the simplest and the PPQ is the most advanced, and the Glock is right in the middle.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I owned a Glock 21 and Colt 1911 at the same time. I prefer the 1911 platform. A 1911 holds less then a full size Glock, weighs more then a full size Glock, but it is for sure prettier then a full size Glock.lol

Old_grunt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Bloomington
    Prior to buying a Glock, I'd fired M1911A1s, owned a S&W 645, Browning Hi-power and they all felt small in my hands. No, I don't have over-sized hands, just average. I wasn't able to hit much, aside from dirt, with either .45 ACP guns or the 9mm. The Glock 20 10mm Auto is a completely different story. It feels comfortable, in my hands and whatever I aim at, gets hit. Took 3 of my sons out to the range. One had never fired anything but a BB gun and he hit everything he aimed at, without any problems, using the Glock. It all gets down to personal preference, what feels comfortable to you, how easily you can recover between shots and how effective your shots are.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I own a tricked out Sig 1911 and love it. I also own a G20 and love it too. I usually carry the G20 because of the lighter weight and higher capacity...it's my bear protection in hunting situations so I like to keep my muscle memory that way.

Top Bottom