• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    This house came with a very large pole barn garage. Inside is an above ground 500 gallon fuel tank. It says Hamilton County Co-op in red letters. It reads empty. It still looks brand new and shiny, so I am guessing it is worth quite a bit of money.

It looks like this

http://www.wasteoiltanks.com/The-Ta...d-Diesel-Fuel-Storage-Tank-500-Gallons-md.jpg

It does have a number on the thing. We have never gotten it filled since we have been here though.

Had a few questions though. Would it be wise to fill the thing for fuel storage in case of a SHTF situation? How long does fuel last in a tank like this? months, years, decades? Can't remember, but I am pretty sure it is unleaded, not diesel, but I don't pay much attention to the thing, it's sort of just there but not seen.

The other questions was, if fuel storage is not feasible ( such as I would have to yearly or so consume and fill the tank, and keep a fresh stock cycled ) do you think we could sell the tank? It says Hamilton County Co-Op * but doesn't say the property of *, I have never heard of them before. If so, what market of people would be interested?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is a really nice tank. Have you looked inside of it yet or tried to determine what if anything was stored in it. Just a good sniff should be enough to verify what was in it. Most likely diesel. If it was full of diesel some prep may be in order to use it for un-leaded.
    If it were mine I would fill it and cycle the fuel in my vehicles so it is rotated. You can get it filled by one of several suppliers I believe. I you continually rotate it no stabilizing will be needed. If not you will have to insure the tank is sealed, treated to stabilize the gas and kept shaded.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    This house came with a very large pole barn garage. Inside is an above ground 500 gallon fuel tank. It says Hamilton County Co-op in red letters. It reads empty. It still looks brand new and shiny, so I am guessing it is worth quite a bit of money.

It looks like this

http://www.wasteoiltanks.com/The-Ta...d-Diesel-Fuel-Storage-Tank-500-Gallons-md.jpg

It does have a number on the thing. We have never gotten it filled since we have been here though.

Had a few questions though. Would it be wise to fill the thing for fuel storage in case of a SHTF situation? How long does fuel last in a tank like this? months, years, decades? Can't remember, but I am pretty sure it is unleaded, not diesel, but I don't pay much attention to the thing, it's sort of just there but not seen.

The other questions was, if fuel storage is not feasible ( such as I would have to yearly or so consume and fill the tank, and keep a fresh stock cycled ) do you think we could sell the tank? It says Hamilton County Co-Op * but doesn't say the property of *, I have never heard of them before. If so, what market of people would be interested?

I think Hamilton Co. Co-op still exists, if it has their name on it they probably own it, give them a call and they can tell you.
    Modern gasoline will only keep for about 6-12 months, it is just that bad, diesel is much better if you can keep moisture out of it.
    Does it have a pump, hose, nozzle? It could bring up words of $1 a gallon if it has everything, mostly a farmers would be your market.

Last edited:

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    I am curious if the PRI-G and Pri-D products actually restore stale fuels, And what kind of protection in months or years does it give you?
    I cannot find ANYONE who has actually tried the stuff.
    Another thought if you have diesels is WVO(waste veg oil) or biodiesel
    I have made small batches of biodiesel and it ran great, That being said I have converted Lots of Ford 6.9 7.3 IDI and 7.3 DIT to run on preheated WVO.
    But filling and rotating is also a great IDEA, BUT off road diesel has dye in it, And its one hell of a fine if you get caught running it on highway because of the tax issues.......

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I was just going to say. Make sure if you decide to use it that you fill it with road fuel. I know a guy that has three tanks, one for road, one for off road and one for road diesel. He saves some thing like $1.50 a gallon on the off road gas. No road tax use fee. That is what he claimed.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I was just going to say. Make sure if you decide to use it that you fill it with road fuel. I know a guy that has three tanks, one for road, one for off road and one for road diesel. He saves some thing like $1.50 a gallon on the off road gas. No road tax use fee. That is what he claimed.

Cannot buy off road gas any more, now you pay the road tax at up front then apply for a refund on your income taxes
    Off road diesel (dyed) is still minus a road tax, but it is like 40 cents. Don't get caught with dyed fuel in an on road vehicle, the fine is like a minimum $1000 or mileage of the vehicle x the road tax.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    Cannot buy off road gas any more, now you pay the road tax at up front then apply for a refund on your income taxes
    Off road diesel (dyed) is still minus a road tax, but it is like 40 cents. Don't get caught with dyed fuel in an on road vehicle, the fine is like a minimum $1000 or mileage of the vehicle x the road tax.

HO LEE ****... that would be a $116,000 fine on my end :noway:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks for the responses!
    Yes, it has all the necessary parts to operate.
    I have never opened it up, I don't know what was used inside it.
    -Will open it up tomorrow and see what's in there. I don't have to worry about keeping it shaded and cool or anything, because it is indoors. Which has kept it looking brand new.
    I know the old property owners built race cars, and owned tractors.
    I don't know anything about how a co-op works, so I was unsure if it belonged to them or not, but yea I will give them a call and get info. If it's theirs we can't sell it, but i'm not going to turn it in either. It's been here for years, so I'm guessing they don't want it back or they would have come-a-knocking already.

We do have plenty of poly and metal drums. We've used a couple to seal up old motor, and tranny fluids, and it would be nice to have fuel here. Good to know that fuel can be stored for a good amount of time, hard part is going to be getting the money for that much fuel.

But it's going to take awhile to save up the money to buy that much fuel. :(. And if the co-op is still in business, well wont have to look very hard to get it filled.

Top Bottom