• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NorthLiberty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Does this face to face private sales mean that you may actually with a seller somewhere other than a gun retailer establishment and complete a cash for gun trade without background checks and paperwork and stuff? I only have purchased one pistol and it was from midwest guns with full checks and transfer stuff. Why is it different in private sales?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Yes. The background check and paperwork requirements are for an FFL holder to comply with as a condition of holding the license. It is different for non-FFL holders simply because there is no law requiring them to do it. They must reside in the same state and not be a known felon as far as I know, that's about it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    There are many things required when you purchase a handgun through an FFL that are not required when purchasing from a private individual.

You must be 21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL. You must be 18 to purchase a handgun from an individual.

You must fill out the proper paper work and a NICS check must be performed when buying a handgun from an FFL. There is no required paperwork or NICS check when purchasing from an individual. However, as ATM pointed out, they must be an Indiana resident (verifiable by looking at drivers license), and the seller must not sell to a "known-to-him felon". Some sellers will require that they see a valid LTCH to ensure this fact, but it is not required by law.

Anything other than that is at the seller's discretion. Some prefer to simply swap cash for gun, while others want to see drivers license, LTCH, and fill out a bill of sale. Those kind of details should always be worked out before the two parties meet to complete the transaction.

It should also be noted that some sellers will INSIST that they meet at the local FFL and have the gun "transferred" (for a fee) to the individual. Here in Indiana there isn't any point to this, as guns aren't "registered", so there is really nothing to "transfer".

And, as a side note, I always like to do transactions in a well-lit public area (daytime is better) that won't attract a bunch of attention, but is also good "neutral" ground. I find the parking lot of the local Gander Mtn to be a good place. Seeing guns exchanged between cars wouldn't be out of place there. Certainly don't conduct business from your home if you don't know anything about the potential buyer.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    In state with another Indiana resident is no problem.

To be safe, not only meet in a well lite area, but have someone along with you if and when you make a purchase. If you are selling a firearm, it is not a bad idea to ask if the buyer has a license to carry. If not, getting drivers license info is not a bad idea, as well as taking down the make, model and license of the car he/she is driving. Also, if the person does not have a carry permit, ask if the person is legal to purchase a firearm. By doing that, whether they lie to you or not, you are covered as you tried to establish that the person you were selling to is legal to the best of your ability.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    To be safe, not only meet in a well lite area, but have someone along with you if and when you make a purchase.

indykid that is very sound advice. I would also add, that in times when having a rider isn't an option, at least letting a third party know about the transaction isn't a bad idea.

For example: If my Father (lovemywoods) is going to make a transaction with a fellow INGOer, he will BCC me on all the exchanged PMs, so that I know the details of who, when, and where he will be meeting the person.

Top Bottom