• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Seems it would be awkward to rack a round from the front

For press checking when your hands are all sweaty or bloody or whatever.

Instead of pinching, one comes under the pistol with your palm up, your hand as a "C" and then retract the slide 1/4"ish. Look and touch with your other index finger.

About 1:25:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntpSu0c-tLo[/ame]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why do some 1911's have these? Seems it would be awkward to rack a round from the front.

You use them differently from the rear serrations. The two most common ways are 1) reaching underneath with your support hand and pinching there with you thumb and first two fingers, and 2) reaching over the top and pinching the serrations between top of your thumb and palm, with the web of your hand on the top of the slide.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Once you get familiar with using them a gun without them always seems lacking.

This is interesting because I'm thinking of getting a 1911 for target shooting. Always love the knowledge folks on this forum share.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Once you gouge your palm several times on a sharp cornered rear sight, you will love the front serrations... It is also easier to hold open the slide when in "Show Clear" with sweaty hands...

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Front serrations are the only thing I think Glocks are missing. I've though about getting that done, but would hate to be without my 19c for the time it would take :D

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Not sure I would use them either. Seems like your hand could slip during a press check and shoot yourself in the hand...? Not sure I want my hand that close to the front of my gun. I would rather use the back parts. I agree them seem unnecessary.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I suppose they are somewhat utilitarian but to me they ugly up the front end of an otherwise graceful weapon design. I love 1911s but I sure don't like the front serrations on some.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Seems like your hand could slip during a press check and shoot yourself in the hand

Did you watch the video? You come up under the pistol.

If your hand slips, your hand falls forward not toward the muzzle.

would rather use the back parts. I agree them seem unnecessary.

It is harder (more cumbersome) to feel if you Robin Hood the weapon or use the back of the slide.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Did you watch the video? You come up under the pistol.

It is harder (more cumbersome) to feel if you Robin Hood the weapon or use the back of the slide.

Gotcha. Did not notice that until I watched the video. I guess I just would not use them as much. I have smaller hands a carry a larger handgun, so it seems like this may be harder for me to do. That or I may just be resistant to change :)

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Same goes for Novak sights, beavertail grip safeties, 8 round mags and hollow points, eh?

Exactly! Now you are catching on!

DSC01273.jpg

Top Bottom