• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Has anyone shot both Friday Night Steel at MCFG and the steel matches at Atlanta Conservation Club? Are they similar? I love FNS, and I'm itching for more than just once a month! :ar15:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The Atlanta matches are Steel Challenge matches and are sanctioned by the SCSA. As such, the rules are a little different and the stages tend to be more involved.

Both are extremely fun. I used to shoot the Atlanta matches on a regular basis, but since the kid came along, I don't have nearly as much time as I used to. Being that MCF&G is on my way home from work, FNS is much more convenient.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Atlanta hosts steel matches with courses of fire that are closer to the "official" steel challenge events.
    At Atlanta, in production and limited division you start with a loaded gun in the holster. The targets are usually closer; speed is emphasized over precision. You shoot 5 strings on each stage, and the lowest score (the highest time) from each stage is discarded.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The only similarities are the guns, the steel, and the timers. That's it. Well, the people are pretty cool, too. ;)

Atlanta's Steel Challenge matches are...Steel Challenge matches. The main differences are the (1) COFs, (2) working from a holster*, and (3) the number of strings.

Generally, Eric (Atlanta match director) will have 3-4 book stages like Roundabout, Smoke and Hope, 5 to Go, etc. as well as 1-2 of his own. The state championship uses ALL Steel Challenge COFs. More info here: SCSA Also, at Atlanta they shoot 5 strings per COF and keep the best/fastest four. FNS shoots 3.

Most Steel Challenge divisions work from the holster. Meaning, when you draw a loaded gun from the holster and engage the targets. The exception (*) is the GSSF (Go Shoot Steel Fast) and .22 pistol divisions.

Here are some videos from the Steel Challenge Nationals in Florida

YouTube - US Steel Nationals - Limited Division Part I

YouTube - US Steel Nationals - Open Division

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    You're referring to Smoke & Hope. Just about every other SCSA stage requires shots at 15+ out to 35 yds. Hell, most USPSA matches don't require a shot at range.

Maybe it's just perception - I always find the FNS COFs to be more difficult. At steel challenge type matches (I've only shot the ones at Riley and Atlanta) the targets seem really close in and easy (for the most part).

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    OMG i just watched those two vids... Tell me that's a very high level competition!! Those guys aren't even aiming, they're pulling off those strings from almost muscle memory.

So everyone at Atlanta is this good or better?! Better bring the A-Game!! :ar15:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    OMG i just watched those two vids... Tell me that's a very high level competition!! Those guys aren't even aiming, they're pulling off those strings from almost muscle memory.

So everyone at Atlanta is this good or better?! Better bring the A-Game!! :ar15:

This is national level not at ACC. But they are aiming.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

They are definitely aiming and several of the shooters you saw in those videos have set world records and have one national and world championships. I just posted those to (1) show the stages and (2) show the sport at its maximum potential.

Sorry folks! I didn't mean to startle anyone!!! :)

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I thought I had some of the ACC videos hanging out on here, but I was wrong.

Steel at ACC is a great time - I'd much rather spraypaint steel than paste targets for one thing. In all seriousness though, our Steel Challenge Matches are just like any other club level match in that you'll have a range of skill levels from novice up to pretty damn good. The only requirement aside from the gear necessary for your division is to be safe.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    I shoot both as often as possible. Both are fun, both have excellent people.

A few observations:
    ACC you get to throw out a string per stage. So if you have a jam, or mental malfunction, you dont blow a good match. MC everything counts. Just like real life.
    MC allows shotguns, ACC does not at this time.

Both are excellent competition. You will see alot of the same shooters at both.

Hope to see you at both this year.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Another difference is that Atlanta has shooting bays where at Marion County all five stages use the same firing line. The advantage with shooting bays is that the targets can be placed on a wider arch and at a greater variety of distances.

At Marion County, accuracy and avoiding gun malfunctions is everything. Since you throw out your worst time at Atlanta, I feel like I've got some room to push for more speed.

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    oh ill be at both, and i'm actually looking for a third match to hit per month, but that silver spring match is down by louisville, so no thanks :)

See you at Steel!:ar15:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

They are aiming and most of them are seeing their sights on each and every trigger press. One of the biggest misconceptions about the high level shooters is that they go faster because they pull the trigger faster. In fact, some of them don't have shot-to-shot times that are very fast at all. What they can do better than most of us is 1) see their sights much faster, and 2) drive the gun from target to target much faster.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    To further add on to what rhino said, world class shooters usually have split times that are obtainable by us mere mortals - what they do better is see the sights and move the gun quicker a lot of times.

With the exception of Max Michel, who is not human at all but rather a robot built for pure speed.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I fully intend to make a couple of ACC's SC matches this summer. Been a while since I've shot SC. It's hard to believe 5 plates could be so fun and challenging! :)

-rvb

Top Bottom