Friday Night Steel -- March 13th (Friday the 13th)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Okay, i might have to give this a try then with my 870...any requirements for choke? I only have what came in it...which is? im not sure if someone knows what comes with an 870 express.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Choke is up to what you feel your gun/ammo need to pattern well.

If you remove the choke from the barrel, it will say which size it is on the side of the choke.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have 2 friends coming, both with 870's. I invited a few others to come and a few FNS regulars came by at the show and said they want to do shotgun!! Even a a club member and his teenage son may come to watch.

SO................I am bringing a special new friend with me just for this shoot, lets just call it "Ringer." Naturally it's an 870, nothing fancy like Bigcraig's but I think I will be able to keep up with him.

I will also bring an extra 870 or two as well so if anyone wants to run a shotgun and does not think they have one tacticool enough, they can borrow any of mine. Just bring ammo and I suggest 2 3/4" only as not all my guns have 3" chambers (I never use that crap).

Just with the guys who are likely to come, there will be a variety of 870's on deck to try. I am sure everyone will be willing to share. :welcome:

I say just find Bigcraig and form up on him!!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Not as easy as you think. ;)

Also remember, you need to be fast.

As far as the shot size, I use #7-1/2 or #8.

The club also has a rule that you must use #6 or smaller for FNS, no slugs or buck.

I think we might try an all shotgun squad next month. I am thinking only pump shottys, no autos, but if folks want to run their autos that is cool too.
    Change "pump shottys" to read "only pumps" and Rhino can sneak in a pump .22lr of some kind and still be compliant with da rules. Obviously he is recoil sensitive and does not want people to know...........help a brother out BC.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    HELP ME, or I wont be able to run in the "only pumps"

Anyone know where I can get one of these tube cap bead thingys? I have 2 barrels and neither one has that bead anymore. Also (and very important), I have a tube extension on my 870 and every once in a while the spring gets stuck in the magazine tube and it wont feed any shells. Anyone have a remedy to either of my problems?

DSC02562.jpg

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Does the mag tube still have the "dimples"? The follower or spring could be catching on the dimple if you didn't "de-dimple" the mag tube all the way.

As far as the little ball detent, I don't have a spare. I would check with Midway or Brownells.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    The ball detent for the cap isn't really necessary but as Craig stated you can get them from Numrich or Remington.
    The Magazine issue could be a couple of different things. Make sure your tube is run down tight on the inside. If your using a Remington Factory tube you have to run the tube down before you tighten the coupling or it will leave a gap that a rim or follower can catch in. If someone punched out drilled out or filed out the Dimples you may have to clean that up a bit with a small file.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    The dimples have been drilled out, they look fine with no burs or anything to get caught on. I have had this extension installed for years and have only recently been having the issue. Everything is clean. Could it have anything to do with the little ball thing that I'm missing or just a weak magazine spring? Its had a lot of shells through it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Replace the follower too. A lot of the followers from the factory these days are crap.

I am wondering if it happens when the mag tube is full? If so, I think what Gungho posted is the thing to look at. Not much else left besdies switching the spring and follower. There is one other trick. On the end of your spring, curl/bend the tip in towards the center a bit, this helps keep it from hanging up on edges and grooves.

Just for the record, do you use a mag clamp with the extension? That missing detent is a non issue really, especially with a mag extansion and a mag clamp.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Im going to contact Remington tomorrow about the barrel bead but for the life of me cannot find a 8 shot spring for it. I've looked everywhere and can only find 7 shot springs.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Replace the follower too. A lot of the followers from the factory these days are crap.

I am wondering if it happens when the mag tube is full? If so, I think what Gungho posted is the thing to look at. Not much else left besdies switching the spring and follower. There is one other trick. On the end of your spring, curl/bend the tip in towards the center a bit, this helps keep it from hanging up on edges and grooves.

Just for the record, do you use a mag clamp with the extension? That missing detent is a non issue really, especially with a mag extansion and a mag clamp.

Ive got a clam but dont have it on at the moment. And yes, it jams up when the mag is full.

Top Bottom