• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    September 12, 2014 (Friday) I will be presenting a free Continuing Legal Education seminar (entitled "Load & Make Ready: Understanding Indiana Firearms Law") for IPDC on firearms law at the Tippecanoe County Office Building, 20 North 3d Street, Lafayette in the Tippecanoe Room.

11251820217570.jpg

3.0 hours, 1:15PM to 4:15PM.

Cost: Free

To register, call Amy Hutchison (765) 423-9214: http://www.tippecanoe.in.gov/egov/apps/staff/directory.egov?path=pro&usr=34

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'l check my schedule and if I'm free, I'll be there. Thanks for sharing!

Great, my biggest draw has been 30 but we are unsure of attendance this time should be much bigger as this is command performance (well, in so much as the regular PD can tell a special PD anything). We've invited Clinton, White, Fountain and Benton Counties and IPDC sent out an e-mail on Friday afternoon, even letting prosecutors attend this one.

Topics include: regulated vs. unregulated firearms, basic mechanics of firearms (accident vs. negligence vs. reckless/intentional), purchasing, transporting, carrying, no go zones, ammunition, prohibited persons, restoration of rights, expungements and effect on RKBA, dangerous person petitions, protective orders, typical prosecutions, technical guides, common questions that arise, inter alia.

This is the 7th time I've done it (Lafayette, Anderson, Bedford, Crawfordsville, Evansville, Vevay [8/29] and back to Lafayette). Always a good time. We have a slide show with charts and graphs and everyone gets a very detailed outline. FYI, as this is for the Indiana Public Defenders Council it will be heavy on the criminal law, we merely touch on the civil side but free CLE can't be sneezed at.

We usually have coffee and scones from Fuel Jack (coffee shop in downtown Lafayette) too.

Can you make a Video / Podcast for those of us that have other obligations ?

Well . . . have never considered it, but IPDC in Indianapolis has done it before, usually for the Annual Updates. Maybe TCPD can do it too, we have access to the County's IT guys afterall.

I'll check into it and let you know.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hmmmm, might be able to make it. Every punchbowl needs at least one turd!

Speaking of punchbowls--I wanted to do it at the second floor of the Lafayette Brewing Company. Drink some beer, learn stuff, then throw darts and shoot pool after, but the old kybosh got put on that.

I may do it myself maybe over the winter. Maybe at the same time as the Lafayette Winter Warmer?:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do you have to be a lawyer to attend? Will it be too technical for a laymen?

1. I don't know if non-lawyers can attend. I can check with Amy on that. Lawyers have to have so many hours in a three year cycle so I guess it would be right to give them first bite at registration.

We had one non-lawyer show up at Anderson (an NFA collector who stuck around to show me pictures of his collection).

My father attended Crawfordsville. He said he enjoyed it and learned a lot.

2. I don't know about "being over your head". There are more than several non-lawyers here at INGO that have solid grasps on the blackletter law of firearms in Indiana.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Probably not the family (we will preparing to move around then....good time for me to be gone), but I'm trying to talk a couple of my partners into coming as well.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Amy has no problem with non-attorneys attending. All she asks is that you pre-register (so she knows how many are coming) with Megan at (765) 423-9214.

No word yet from the IT department on videoing this but they were setting up for a trial tomorrow when I was at the courthouse this afternoon.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Speaking of punchbowls--I wanted to do it at the second floor of the Lafayette Brewing Company. Drink some beer, learn stuff, then throw darts and shoot pool after, but the old kybosh got put on that.

I may do it myself maybe over the winter. Maybe at the same time as the Lafayette Winter Warmer?:D

Ah, the Womens Christian Temperance and AntiFun League strikes again...

Top Bottom