• ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Is this common? One strolled right onto my property yesterday afternoon and took a crap in the front yard. I thought it was odd that it was daytime. It didn't look mangy but maybe a little on the skinny side (maybe they all are? I'm no fox expert).

a0840575-b292-4fd5-832e-49aca476a4de_zpsd52e3d73.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Common? Sure. We had one that trotted through the neighborhood every morning at about 10AM, like clockwork.

If there is food, a place to den, and relative safety, there is no reason why you WOULDN'T have foxes.

Edit: just noticed you are in Brownsburg as well. Plenty of wildlife around here. We've had coyotes in the yard, deer, possum, skunks, racoon, etc...

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Interesting. I have not seen any in the 14 years I have lived here. I also saw a pair of pheasants in the backyard a few months ago for the first time ever.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Ah, maybe. I didn't know they had pheasants as well. I believe it was a pair of females but according to my daughter there was just a pile of feathers out there the next day so I'm guessing maybe coyotes got them.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Foxes, like many of our native predators, have become very good at not being seen. With the way humans are, the best thing they can do is stay hidden, hence why it's uncommon to actually see them. They are there, though.

We have a pair of red foxes living under the neighbour's deck, a bobcat (or two) living in the field across the road, and countless coyotes. We have wild turkeys that just walk around that aren't afraid of ya.

We've also got a weird Coydog that hangs around. Now that is a weird encounter. It's not necessarily afraid of you, but it won't have anything to do with you either. I saw it out on Lafayette road the one day and tried to call to it thinking it was someone's pet. It just turned and looked at me in this rather creepy manner. On closer look, there was no way it was a normal dog. It just didn't look right.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    My wife and I see foxes relatively often in Hendricks County when walking near our home. I've seen some roadkill foxes around here too.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There's a "family" of foxes in/near our house.

We've had them trot through our yard and neighbors' yards with impunity.

Wish they'd take care of the cats that like to roam around... But the cats are just as big as the foxes are.

Pretty cool to see. At least I like watching them.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I see them fairly regularly in Morgan county, even in some pretty residential areas. A couple weeks ago, I saw one right in front of Perry Meridian HS, standing on the side of Stop 11 rd.

They have become adapted to living around us and stay invisible for the most part.

Luckily they haven't been a problem for my chickens, yet. There was a coyote scoping out the coop from 100yds out in the field by my house the other day. I went in for the .22 but he left when I got back outside.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I work in Avon and see them cross our parking lot every once in a while. We've actually had a few staff members call complaining they are afraid to get out of their cars because they saw a fox. :rolleyes:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I see them around E Carmel from time to time. A beautiful healthy one walked right in front of my bus in the lot, got away before I could get a pic. Then there was this terribly mangy one running around, took me a couple of sightings to figure out quite what it was. I'd like to put a fox den out back of my fence, see if I can get any to come around.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I frequently see a couple of foxes in and around our neighborhood. They usually stroll through in the morning and late afternoon.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    At work I spend most of my time driving around Hendricks County at night, and I have seen several foxes running around. Oddly enough I think I have seen more in and around neighborhoods where I wouldn't expect them to be.

One night I saw a fox or coyote (too far and dark to tell) running across the road that dropped something when my brights hit it. As I got closer I saw it disappear into the woods, but found a dead chicken that it dropped on the side of the road.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Yup. Foxes are pretty much everywhere around here whether you see them or not. I've seen them as close to downtown as Tech High School.

Top Bottom