• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I was looking around on the net yesterday. This picture caught my eye from the First World War. Thought I'd share, although I'm not sure of the exact location but the caption said it was American soldiers.

Cramped in a trench and you can see the bayonets on the rifles. The artillery exploding in the background makes me think........ they still climbed out of the trench and went forward.
    picture.php

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Those men are inspiring! You do what you have to do to protect your brother to your left and to your right.

“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." ~ G.K. Chesterton

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Heading straight to where they can see the artillery hitting! The courage it would take to climb out of that trench ... God bless em. Every helmet represents a story.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I am sure that if the training is anything like it was when I went through basic, you were more scared to let your buddies down, or be killed then to die yourself. People have told me that they are surprised by this, but its true. One of the places that I felt the safest was when I was in Iraq in 2004, because I was surrounded by the best guys in the world. All I had to do was watch my little area, and I knew they had my back. I was more scared by the thought that I would fail one of them then ever being killed.
    For these actions, Murphy was awarded the Medal of Honor.[1][5] When asked after the war why he had seized the machine gun and taken on an entire company of German infantry, he replied simply, "They were killing my friends."
    This is the quote given by Audie Murphy, on why he took on an entire company of Germany Infantry singlehandedly. From most the stories that I have read on those that have received the Medal of Honor, they say that is why they did that. They were killing my friends, or that any of their friends would have done it, they were just the closest.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I am sure that if the training is anything like it was when I went through basic, you were more scared to let your buddies down, or be killed then to die yourself. People have told me that they are surprised by this, but its true. One of the places that I felt the safest was when I was in Iraq in 2004, because I was surrounded by the best guys in the world. All I had to do was watch my little area, and I knew they had my back. I was more scared by the thought that I would fail one of them then ever being killed.
    For these actions, Murphy was awarded the Medal of Honor.[1][5] When asked after the war why he had seized the machine gun and taken on an entire company of German infantry, he replied simply, "They were killing my friends."
    This is the quote given by Audie Murphy, on why he took on an entire company of Germany Infantry singlehandedly. From most the stories that I have read on those that have received the Medal of Honor, they say that is why they did that. They were killing my friends, or that any of their friends would have done it, they were just the closest.

Audi Murphy and those men, hit the nail on the head!

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.".
    --Arthur Ashe

I agree whole heartedly, in [Iraq] 2003, I was a Sgt and my biggest fear, of everything I was ever involved in, was that one of my guys would go down on my watch. I would have done anything in my power to ensure it didn't happen and I believe they would have done the same for me.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Audi Murphy and those men, hit the nail on the head!

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.".
    --Arthur Ashe

I agree whole heartedly, in [Iraq] 2003, I was a Sgt and my biggest fear, of everything I was ever involved in, was that one of my guys would go down on my watch. I would have done anything in my power to ensure it didn't happen and I believe they would have done the same for me.

Agree with you. I was the assistant Squad Leader, and I know I would spend a lot of time with the intel guys, and checking and double checking. Making sure that I remembered how to call for fire, 9 line medevacs. I wanted to be sure that I could do as much as I could for them.
    Although, still felt safer there then I do living in New Jersey. And it was even a "good" area of Jersey

Top Bottom