• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hanen42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Ossian
    Been looking for a 300yd+ shooter lately. Spent forever debating between 308, 30-06, and 300 win mag. Finally decided on the 308. Seems like a versatile enough round for what I want to do with it. Little less power than the others, but less recoil for more accurately placed shot groups. Then I trickled back and forth between the Remington and Savage bolt rifles, debating back and forth between barrel lengths and all that jazz. All in all, I've decided on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical. Now...to find one up here in the FW area at a decent price. Just thought I'd share lol. :D

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Now that you have made up your mind, do not be tempted to compromise to get another rifle because it is cheaper. I have never regreted spending too much when I got what I really wanted. Anytime I start thinking cheaper, and end up with less than I really wanted, I end up spending the rest of my life wishing I had spent the extra. Sometimes I end up later trading the cheaper one for the one I wanted in the first place, and loosing more money in the long run. Good Luck

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    The other thing I like about a .308 is that if you just want to do some general purpose recreational plinking, you can do it without spending a fortune on ammo, and save the good stuff for when you need it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    very wise decision,

its been said and i firmly believe it that the 308 is the best at nothing, but its good at everything.

im hoping to add a 308 bolt action to the stable this weekend but dont know if ill have any luck

Hanen42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Ossian
    I agree with ya Leo. I think that's why I take forever to figure out what to buy. Do it once and do it right. Why go half on a 770 when I can just save the extra time and hassle and just buy the 700 in the first place.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hopefully you will find a SPS that performs like mine does. I bought one in .223 awhile back and had the barrel cut & threaded at 18". I've tested four different types of factory ammo as well as some hand loads that were sent to me. So far the largest group was 1.046", smallest was .366" and the average for twelve (5 shot) groups was .668". I'll take that performance all day long from a factory rifle.

IMG_1218.jpg

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I stopped shooting donor SPSs a long time ago, as they always make a good case for leaving the factory barrel right where it is.

SPSs that can't shoot are orders of magnitude rarer than shooters who can't.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Got a bolt in 7.62x51, an auto in 7.62x51, and a bolt in .308. Got some Sierra Matchkings in .308. I just love shooting the Ishi jungle carbine, and finagled a scope mount on it. The others are nice, but I just like to crank that sweet Enfield bolt and blow off 10 rounds in 15 seconds left handed. .308 can reach out and touch someone like not much else, with the right hardware.

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    GET YOU A NICE SCOPE. I GOT MINE FROM A&A OPTICS. BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT. I HAVE MORE MONEY IN THE SCOPE THAN THE GUN. JUST DONT PUT A POOR QUALITY OPTIC ON IT. YOU WILL ENJOY THE 308

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've decided on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical. Now...to find one up here in the FW area at a decent price. Just thought I'd share lol. :D

I started with the SPS Varmint and customized from there. Mine shoots sub MOA groups out to 1,000 yards with the factory barrel, action and bolt. I did add the AI 1.5 stock, Atlas bi pod and the biggest improvement was changing the trigger to a Jewell set to 1 pound pull.

700after.jpg

I think Sniperco has one hanging on the wall and Freedom Firearms may have one as well.

Once you get it scoped and ready to shoot, let me know if you want to go up to Young's Longshot Range and stretch it out to 500 and 1,000 yards. Why settle for 300 yards when you have a half mile capable weapon.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    The other thing I like about a .308 is that if you just want to do some general purpose recreational plinking, you can do it without spending a fortune on ammo, and save the good stuff for when you need it.

I agree totally....308 ...wise choice.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    watch the finish on the sps,if i even touched mine i had to wipe it down within a few hours or it would rust,example go to range come home 6 hours later (rust)and i used good lube , so be careful. best of luck thou.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    watch the finish on the sps,if i even touched mine i had to wipe it down within a few hours or it would rust,example go to range come home 6 hours later (rust)and i used good lube , so be careful. best of luck thou.

Wow !! You must sweat battery acid or you got an SPS with a bad finish. After cleaning the bore and action, I just wipe mine down and leave the exterior dry. I've never had a problem with any surface rust or corrosion.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had that problem.

Top Bottom