• ...and so much more!
  • Opie

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    This thing has had better days, from my discussion with the previous owner I think it may have had at least 6 rounds fired through it. If you look really hard you can start to see a cylinder line forming as well.

I guess I can shoot and see what happens. I dunno if these old pinned and recessed guns are still accurate or not...... At least it came with the original box, paperwork, and cleaning kit if nothing else! The original style magna grips were in the box as well. I think I will leave these ugly target grips on here until I can find some Hogue rubber grips to give it some modern class.

If I send it back to S&W does any one know how much it would cost to have a lock installed??????

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Those had crappy triggers. I think you need to take it apart and file it some to make it shoot faster and smoother. With you on the Hogue grip idea too. That may even give it a new tactical look. Would be nice to knock some of that gloss off of it and go with some flat black Krylon.

I guess you can make it work for you. Stick it on the floor board of your truck or in your Jon boat or something.

All kidding aside nice find. Seems like they are getting harder to find especially in that kind of condition. My father in-law has the same gun. He unfortunately doesn't believe in cleaning and maintaining anything. Despite his neglect his is still pretty nice and probably has not been shot much. May end up with it some day.

SS 396

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Coatesville
    Wow i would bury something that ugly in the backyard. Just kidding beautiful Smith you got there,nothing beats the old Smith blueing and the target grips great find.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I will probably shoot it once, clean it, and store it away. I knew it was a keeper as soon as I saw it, but all joking aside it's not my cup of tea and will live the rest of its life in the safe as an investment.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Gonna lock it in the safe huh? That's a mortal sin. I have a safe full of old S&W revolvers and every one of them gets shot. A lot. For many years. They will never make handguns that fine again.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Nice find. I'm a Fanatic...if you ever want it to meet its twin 6" ..or not quite as gifted 4" twin :) or the flashy cousins from the big city 27's. Lmk lol

Top Bottom