• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've got a 1911 thats shooting way too low. I don't have a measurement on the front sight but does anyone have the math to let me know how much to file down the front sight or order a new lower front sight to fix about 6 inches low at 25 yds.

Also who sells new front sights for Kimber's in steps to maybe keep me from making a good gun look like a hack job

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Make sure you shoot it from a rest to be darn sure you want to file it first.

Then you just have to hit it two or three strokes with a file and see how much it moves. Take all your shots from a rest while you are doing this.

No one is going to be able to seriously tell you to file off .o25" or something like that. Do you even have the mics or a dial caliper to measure it if they did?

Just take the file and a rest to the range and be darn sure you are shooting the amo you want to shoot a lot of in that gun.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Wouldn't think of changing my sight picture, every other pistol in the inventory has the same 6oclock flat tire hold, its ridiculous that a top dollar pistol doesn't shoot as well as a used taraus that I traded off to get this.

the gun is only going to shoot 200gr swc with 5 gr of 231 or equivalent load for the entire life while I have it.

Also I've found that you have to watch shooting off the bench, you can easily screw up your purpose built hold on your pistol, I agree that you rest your arms on a bench but don't let the gun touch the bench.

I think that my shooting stance and habits are far too set to change to fit to the gun. The gun should fit the shooter

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    It may not be realistic to move the sight in exact increments, but to determine how much to drift the sight and file from the top, use this formula:
    Sight radius x (distance to move group / range to target in inches) = POI movement.
    A full size 1911 has a radius of 7".

circle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    It may not be realistic to move the sight in exact increments, but to determine how much to drift the sight and file from the top, use this formula:
    Sight radius x (distance to move group / range to target in inches) = POI movement.
    A full size 1911 has a radius of 7".
    Wow! What a nerd! :rockwoot:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    the sights are a nice Black on Black with no glare on them. if I can get the elevation correct and move the rear sight over a bit I might have a decent shooting gun.

If I was going to change among loads or stuff like that I would look at an adjustable rear.

What Rears will drop right in on this kimber, On the colt I have I had to have the back of the slide milled for the rear.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Check with the Midway USA or Brownell's catalogs about a model suitable for a Kimber, but there's a relatively inexpensive adjustable rear that fits the 'standard' Novak-style cut made by an outift called "Champion" which might work for you. It's an easy DIY and pretty rugged. A whole pile less trouble than farting around with files or even changing-out a 'pinned' dovetail front blade.

Top Bottom