• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What type of softener salt do you use?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    What type of salt do you use? I am getting ready to place a large salt order, and as we expand I would like to get some idea of a Pellet/Solar salt ratio. So, your help would be greatly appreciated! For logistic purposes, it would be appreciated if you listed your county as well. Thanks in advance.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, you and I live in the same county. I use Morton's Rust preventer salt in mine. I buy mine through Sam's club for a bit over $5 a bag. They have other salts, but I don't know their prices off the top of my head.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think ours is solar salt, but not 100% sure. We get it from Kenetico in 40# bags. It is not in uniform pellets, which is why I think it is solar. Very little waste, so it must be pretty pure. I use about 2 bags every few months, give or take.

Oh, and Hendricks Co., home of water so hard you can chew it!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Well, you and I live in the same county. I use Morton's Rust preventer salt in mine. I buy mine through Sam's club for a bit over $5 a bag. They have other salts, but I don't know their prices off the top of my head.

Same here, I use Morton's Rust Preventer salt in mine and I buy it at Sam's club around $5 But I have begun to mix every other bag with the Cheaper Morton Salt. Clay County

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I buy the yellow bag of Morton's salt at Sam's. I've also bought the 50lb bag that they have at Costco but I don't know what brand that is.

We have a whole house water purifier system, IONICS, that we bought after we first built the house.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks for all the responses so far! Please keep them coming.

I did use rust preventer, but a water softener guy told me we do not need this in Hamilton County (at least on city water). So I use only solar salt now. However, I am not a water softener guy, I just deliver the salt:D

I buy the yellow bag of Morton's salt at Sam's. I've also bought the 50lb bag that they have at Costco but I don't know what brand that is.

We have a whole house water purifier system, IONICS, that we bought after we first built the house.
    Our "new to us" house came with an IONICS, and we just had it serviced. It has that special additive that makes the water pure, but our fridge water isn't soft, and it's the only water we drink. I don't think I'll have the additive added again, for $200.

Same here, I use Morton's Rust Preventer salt in mine and I buy it at Sam's club around $5 But I have begun to mix every other bag with the Cheaper Morton Salt. Clay County
    I think your on the right track here. A co-worker in Brownsburg uses a ratio of 4 bags of solar or pellet, to 1 bag of red-out.

Thanks again, and please continue with feedback!

Also, feel free to vote pellet or solar even if you do not know the bag size.

And, a special shoutout INGO's GRIMOR, for helping with the temporary website and hosting! He is a very generous person!

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for all the responses so far! Please keep them coming.

I did use rust preventer, but a water softener guy told me we do not need this in Hamilton County (at least on city water). So I use only solar salt now. However, I am not a water softener guy, I just deliver the salt:D
    Can't speak for city water, but my well has iron in it and we have to use acid based cleaners for everything. Even with the rust preventer salt. None of the softener folks or well folks have ever been able to give me a good method of getting rid of the iron.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Can't speak for city water, but my well has iron in it and we have to use acid based cleaners for everything. Even with the rust preventer salt. None of the softener folks or well folks have ever been able to give me a good method of getting rid of the iron.
    My well is pretty iron-heavy as well. The front porch is red from the sprinkler!

In addition to my softener, I have a greensand (potassium permanganate) filter for iron, manganese, and sulfur. Works fantastic. Works just like a water softener, only takes the "purple powder" instead of salt.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    So far a 4:1 pellet to solar ratio (Sorry, I didn't mean to make this a private poll).

I am a little surprised by the lopsidedness. Please, continue with feedback!

Thank you.

savage 1212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    NE Indiana
    We use the Morton pellets, yellow and green bag at a 1 to 1 ratio. I used to use the solar and found that the brine tank needed to be cleaned about once a year. The deer liked it when I put the dregs on an old stump back in the woods but I didn't relish the chore.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Kinetico pure salt. Solar salt is way to dirty and pellet salt uses binders to get the cute pellet form. I will use pellets in a pinch.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    grant county, probably some of the oldests wells around heavy iron content, I run pellets from tractor supply because they are about 3 dollars a bag. Seems to work the best as well so the wife is happy the soap makes suds and my wallet stays a little less skinny.

Top Bottom