• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    My first thought when reading the OP was that it was meant to reassure people who are wary (or weary) about OC to give it a try (come on in, the water is fine!). I realize the intent was good, but there are people who are quite happy "not to get wet," so to speak. To those people, the OP may come across somewhat as an insult (more or less) of their ability to make a choice concerning the matter.

FWIW, I OC pretty much everywhere I'm able to with nary an issue from anyone. Though, it's more important that people carry (and train that way) than it is the method.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    My first thought when reading the OP was that it was meant to reassure people who are wary (or weary) about OC to give it a try (come on in, the water is fine!). I realize the intent was good, but there are people who are quite happy "not to get wet," so to speak. To those people, the OP may come across somewhat as an insult (more or less) of their ability to make a choice concerning the matter.

FWIW, I OC pretty much everywhere I'm able to with nary an issue from anyone. Though, it's more important that people carry (and train that way) than it is the method.

I didn't take it that way. I thought it sounded like a genuine invitation to those who ARE interested in OCing but haven't tried it yet for whatever reason.

Those that have made up their mind to CC exclusively were not called out for their choices.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I didn't take it that way. I thought it sounded like a genuine invitation to those who ARE interested in OCing but haven't tried it yet for whatever reason.

Those that have made up their mind to CC exclusively were not called out for their choices.

I CC and that's what I heard as well: an open invite.

And potentially a story from a CCer who OCd once and enjoyed it.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You'll get more negative reaction to OC HERE on INGO than you ever will in real life.... just sayin'.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    ryknoll3 said:
    You'll get more negative reaction to OC HERE on INGO than you ever will in real life.... just sayin'.

He speaks the truth...which is really unfortunate.

I'm with Titanium and Nomadic on this one...seems to me to have been a casual invitation.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I CC and that's what I heard as well: an open invite.

And potentially a story from a CCer who OCd once and enjoyed it.

I CC too. I heard what you did. I didn't hear any preaching. But if anyone wishes to preach you need to sing Amazing Grace first if you want me to listen. I really like that song so you can sing it even if you're not preaching. :)

I liked the OP's post and was glad he brought it up. I'm a small frame girl and I CC, someday I hope to have the confidence to OC. This post was perfect timing for me.

The people who OC are not the enemy of those of us who prefer to CC or vise versa. We all like guns, it shouldn't matter how we prefer to carry.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    This was meant as a reassurance to those who are nervous about OCing. Personally, I don't care how or what you carry. I know people who were a little *wary* to OC. I just wanted to point out that it isn't as big a deal as it seems to "outsiders" who do not OC regularly.

If you would rather CC, by all means, CC. Sometimes it's necessary, like when you go to get stamps.

I OC, and know a few people who do as well, all INGOers. It's just that, when I read stories about the brave OCer who nervously walks to the street to get the mail, then runs back inside before anyone sees him, it makes me think.

Not saying, "We're all doin' it. You should, too!" Just saying, "We all do it. We're fine. If you want to try it, give it a shot."

It all comes down to choice. We, as OCers, respect the choice of CCers, even though there isn't much reciprocity on that front (Dinkus and Meager.)

Again, carry how you carry, it won't bother me. I was simply saying that it is not an attention getter or anything like that.

If you're considering OCing, just don't be an assclown.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    This was meant as a reassurance to those who are nervous about OCing. Personally, I don't care how or what you carry. I know people who were a little *wary* to OC. I just wanted to point out that it isn't as big a deal as it seems to "outsiders" who do not OC regularly.

If you would rather CC, by all means, CC. Sometimes it's necessary, like when you go to get stamps.

I OC, and know a few people who do as well, all INGOers. It's just that, when I read stories about the brave OCer who nervously walks to the street to get the mail, then runs back inside before anyone sees him, it makes me think.

Not saying, "We're all doin' it. You should, too!" Just saying, "We all do it. We're fine. If you want to try it, give it a shot."

It all comes down to choice. We, as OCers, respect the choice of CCers, even though there isn't much reciprocity on that front (Dinkus and Meager.)

Again, carry how you carry, it won't bother me. I was simply saying that it is not an attention getter or anything like that.

If you're considering OCing, just don't be an assclown.

Might want to change that...seeing as how carrying in a post office is a federal crime regardless of OC/CC status...

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i thought the op was fine and took it as an invite to try and an attempt to reassure.

yea carrying in government buildings usually not allow

jake

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've been CC, and that's pretty much what I do, but I don't really care much anymore if I print, and the way I dress (year round) I just have a shirt on that's big enough to cover it, so it doesn't make any difference in operation, and the difference between CC and OC is just pulling my shirt up and putting it behind rather than in front. I've had LEO see it and ask if I had LTCH. Never went any further.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Mind posting the law that says it is illegal? ;)

I'd like to see it, too.

Wait, I did! And it said that an exception to the law was a lawfully carried firearm for a lawful purpose. What about my EDC is unlawful?

Also, Federal law dictates that a member of the Armed Forces, Reserve or National Guard, while on duty, is not prohibited from carrying a firearm into a federal building.

They still throw a stink about it. Every year, my unit has a family day. Last year, we went bowling. I ended up educating my chain of command on OC. My Platoon Sergeant got on my ass about it, and I simply told him what the law was. He had a LTCH, and never heard of that.

Later, the 1st Sergeant was talking to me at lunch, and he agreed with me, told me that the PLT SGT was out of line talking to me like that.

Our Admin was interested in it, because he also didn't know that you could OC.

Shoot, our Commander was talking to me while I was OCing, and he didn't seem to mind.

Just can't do it in the Reserve Center, even though Federal law says I can.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Even after having a bad experience with OC I still do on a day to day basis. If someone asks, I view it as a chance to educate them. Don't be afraid to OC, people are too busy with themselves to even notice you half the time. And I bet you'll totally forget your ocing after about half a hour.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Even after having a bad experience with OC I still do on a day to day basis. If someone asks, I view it as a chance to educate them. Don't be afraid to OC, people are too busy with themselves to even notice you half the time. And I bet you'll totally forget your ocing after about half a hour.

Don't forget you're OCing!! That's when the 5 year old girls strike!

Seriously, be aware of the firearm at all times. Be aware of your surroundings. One story of a disarm, successful or not, is too many, and I've heard a few. Have something for retention. I carry a Ka Bar TDI cross draw, and have a Kel Tek PF9 in the left front pocket. Reach for the Glock, you're gonna have a really bad day.

Top Bottom