• ...and so much more!
  • AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I am forwdewring this from the Marion County ARES EC

IDHS has requested I send this urgent request for ham radio operator help to all I can.

The flood waters have impacted several counties here in Indiana severely. Ham Radio operators have been operating continuously since activated and are growing weary. Some counties do not have a vast amount of active hams to relieve these tired operators.

Bartholomew, Johnson, and Brown are among these counties.

Bartholomew County is asking for relief operators to work evening (night) shifts beginning tonight so that those heavily tasked can get some needed rest.

This radio work will be in the Columbus Area: three shelters and the EOC are needing hams.

One would think, "Why not just use telephones or cell phones?" Well, it is because many phones do not work down there at this time. With the high waters, electric transformers are out all over, even those servicing cell towers are out. Even with today's technology, we find ourselves looking at ham radio to assist.

If you can spare a few hours or an entire evening, please consider helping our neighbors to the south.

To contact Bartholomew County EOC, call (812) 379-1680 and tell them you are a ham radio operator willing to help. They will guide you ... ask your questions of them, not me, as to hours you are available or what you are willing to work.

I was told by IDHS the radios are in place, so you will not have to rely on your gear.

Thanks to all who are giving of your time to assist others in this time of need.

Michael R. Palmer, N9FEB
    Marion County Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) Emergency Coordinator (EC)
    Staff Coordinator for EMA
    www.IndyHams.org

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer."

73 Rich WI9NDY

Top Bottom