• ...and so much more!
  • asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you had your choice of guns to hunt with which would it be, Contender , S&W , Encore or SBH. All of them are chambered in 44mag with a barrel length of up to 7.5" long. And why did you make the choice you made? Forgot to mention they all have open sights.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Old style gen one contender but I don't have any barrels that short. One well placed shot is all that is needed. I want the best trigger I can get and it is hard to beat the old pre lawyer friendly gen one contender. Lock up[ without the cylinder gap will get you a little more out of the round also. That being said there are better barrels than the 44 mag for the contender. I like the 7-30 waters round at the moment but have hunted with 357 max. 44 mag. 30-30 35 rem (another fine choice) and now 7-30 waters.

I often carry a smith model 29 in a shoulder holster on deer hunts, Mostly cause of the dirty harry feeling it gives me and it impresses the fellow deer camp hunter more than the contender. If 44 mag only i guess it would be as good as the contender but the contender gives more options. If you shoot a nice buck on opening morning then swap over to a 223 barrel with scope and hunt the gut pile the next morning for coyotes.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    2nd on the first generation Contender. Nothing disturbs me more than hearing someone chase a deer through the woods with several shots. Take your time and get the right shot the first time.

I would carry a 22lr barrel for next day squirrels.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    The Encore, because then I can get all kind of other barrels for it. (including ones the 'Tender can't handle)

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Contender for deer. It has a beautiful break on the trigger.

My Smith and Wesson for hogs. I took my Contender hog hunting once and learned what it was like to have a scope knocked off zero and try to to follow up shots in a break action while being charged by a 300 lb pissed off pig. I was #$*&ing lucky and hit it in the back leg on the 3rd shot at about 10 feet away from me, which gave me enough time to put one behind the shoulder.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If .44 Mag and max of 7.5" barrel is the only option then I'll take a Ruger Redhawk Hunter (KRH-44R)

Ruger Redhawk Double-Action Revolver Model 5003

If you prefer single action then make it a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter (standard or Bisley)

Add a scope later.

If .44 Mag is not the only option then I'll take a 14" Encore in .35 Remington or 7-30 Waters - with a scope.

That said, I have an affinity toward the .45 Colt and my *actual* hunting handgun is a 9.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have been using a Ruger Super Blackhawk for years. Also have a Redhawk in 44 mag, but I prefer the single action grip. All the guns you listed would be great for deer, it all comes down to what is most comfortable for you too shoot. While I do like my Smith $ Wessons, great trigger pull, the Rugers are built like tanks and will take any abuse you can dish out.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I grew up with a T/C Contender using .22KHornet, .38/.357 mag & .44mag barrels so that was the first .44mag deer pistol I purchased 20+ years ago.

Loved the T/C but for about 18 years I have hunted with a Ruger Redhawk 7.5" SS iron sights. Anything w/in 100 yds or so is definately fair game.

Its very smooth, 100% reliable, built like a tank, easy and comfortable to shoot.... and accurate if I do my part. Plus the Rugers are built well enough to shoot the custom 300+ grain bullets....

My :twocents:...

asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The reason for the topic at hand is I'm lookin for another handgun to hunt with. I have a Encore pistol in a 243 with a 3x12 scope(sweet). I'm looking for something with open sights. I've shoot a Tender 45LC , handled a couple other Tenders and I've handle a Blackhawk. Loved the feel and look of the blackhawk! Even though I'm mainly looking for open sites there's a strong possiblity Ill put a Burris fast fire on her. Even though she felt good I don't know how durable and reliable it is. I also ha a 629 or two but I'm wanting to stay away from a heavy piece.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    If .44 Mag and max of 7.5" barrel is the only option then I'll take a Ruger Redhawk Hunter (KRH-44R)

Ruger Redhawk Double-Action Revolver Model 5003

If you prefer single action then make it a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter (standard or Bisley)

Add a scope later.

If .44 Mag is not the only option then I'll take a 14" Encore in .35 Remington or 7-30 Waters - with a scope.

That said, I have an affinity toward the .45 Colt and my *actual* hunting handgun is a 9.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.

I've owned almost all of the Ruger models at one time or another but I personally like the 6" S&W 629 better than any of them. I think you should go feel the different guns at a gun shop and decide which one feels best to you. I think the Rugers and the S&Ws are both very accurate guns.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    44 magnum hunter

Since I have experience hunting deer with the 460. I would initially lean towards the S&W 629 given the restrictions. I will probably get a Ruger Redhawk since I have a XVR and don't have a Ruger revolver anymore. The Redhawk seems to be more of a purpose hunting pistol.

A .44 mag is one of the last revolver calibers I need to get. I would want something I could bang around and not worry about it.

asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Actually I've never shot my 243 without ear plugs. So as for the noise I couldn't tell you. And now that I think about it the Encore pistol feels somewhat like the 629 as far as the grip. Ill never get rid of my Encore as a matter of fact Ill be adding a couple barrels to her suitcase.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I was torn between the 29, Super Redhawk, and Taurus Raging Bull, all in .44. Ended up going with the Bull. Still would like to try out a Redhawk and a 29, but I'm pretty satisfied with the Taurus right now. 8" heavy lug barrel does a good job of taming the muzzle. Trigger isn't glass, but it is pretty sweet. Way above acceptable. Unfortunately, I didn't get a scope on it before season started, and I'm pushing my luck at 100 yards with iron sights, so "Big Brother" the 1894, ended up doing all of the work this year. I do hope to have a nice scope on it early in '11, and have enough practice time to be comfortable taking it out as my primary hunting tool. Thennnnnnn..... maybe try one of the other two.

Top Bottom