Footage of Officer shooting "unarmed" man.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Sorry Frank. I took your suggestion of this being department standard and ran with it. I did notice that none of the others seemed too concerned lending credence to the idea that this is how that department rolls.

I said that handcuffing a shot person may be department SOP and that I would do it myself if presented with the situation. Shooting someone that is down? Probably not part of the SOPs but could be justified in certain situations.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If these animals would shoot up a school in Connecticut, they would shoot anyone.

Fair?

No?

There was only one animal shooting up the school. He was not part of a department of sociopaths, but yes, I would say that he would have killed most anyone, he just arbitrarily choose that school for whatever reason.

I would go along with the plural if he were part of an organization with standardized doctrines that sanction such activities.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    If you stop the video around 42 - 43 seconds, when the suspect is standing right food in the cab, left hand on the door, he appears to have in his right hand (which is on top of the cab, above the bed of the truck) an object which could be a knife (or a corn dog...it's grainy).

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    There was only one animal shooting up the school. He was not part of a department of sociopaths, but yes, I would say that he would have killed most anyone, he just arbitrarily choose that school for whatever reason.

I would go along with the plural if he were part of an organization with standardized doctrines that sanction such activities.

From what information has been released so far, he doesn't sound all that dissimilar to a certain social group that, while not formally organized, certainly does exist and is fairly consistent in its doctrines.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I will not judge the officer. If you crank the SFGate video up to full screen and watch the suspects chest area right as the officer begins shooting something is blurred out. WTF is up with that? It's in all the youtube videos as well. Hard to claim there is no cover up when something is obviously covered up.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    From what information has been released so far, he doesn't sound all that dissimilar to a certain social group that, while not formally organized, certainly does exist and is fairly consistent in its doctrines.

OK, the information...the man appears to be a sociopath, a group which takes in between 2 and 3 percent of the population. His mother was a prepper, which takes in a greater percentage than sociopaths, but still is a minority. OK, I will go along with the notion that most sociopaths have a complete lack of conscience in common. To the best of my knowledge, he is the first mass murderer to have been homeschooled--not sure how to factor this in.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    If you stop the video around 42 - 43 seconds, when the suspect is standing right food in the cab, left hand on the door, he appears to have in his right hand (which is on top of the cab, above the bed of the truck) an object which could be a knife (or a corn dog...it's grainy).

It is well known that a suspect with a knife can cover 7 paces and deliver deadly force with a knife in less than 2 seconds.

Any tactical trainer worth his salt will advise you to shoot an attacker to the ground. If he tries to get up (as it appears this suspect did), shoot him some more.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    OK, the information...the man appears to be a sociopath, a group which takes in between 2 and 3 percent of the population. His mother was a prepper, which takes in a greater percentage than sociopaths, but still is a minority. OK, I will go along with the notion that most sociopaths have a complete lack of conscience in common. To the best of my knowledge, he is the first mass murderer to have been homeschooled--not sure how to factor this in.

Sociopaths are not a social group. Preppers? You are getting warmer. :)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Sociopaths are not a social group. Preppers? You are getting warmer. :)

OK, his mother was a prepper. That doesn't make him one. My mother was a nurse. Do you want me administering medical care to you? (Hint: Given my skills, you really don't.)

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Good shoot.

Parolee with a history of violence, suspected of domestic violence very recently, disobeying lawful orders in a traffic stop, and making furtive movements? Even if no weapon was found, which one was (and the officer identified audibly on video), this offender was looking for the police to use force upon him. Maybe he didn't expect it to be lethal force, but as numerous people have said on here before:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    It is well known that a suspect with a knife can cover 7 paces and deliver deadly force with a knife in less than 2 seconds.

Any tactical trainer worth his salt will advise you to shoot an attacker to the ground. If he tries to get up (as it appears this suspect did), shoot him some more.

Yep.

I should have kept this as a reply rather than a general post.

Others posted that the officer yelling "drop the knife" seemed inconsistent or, at least confusing, with an unarmed decedent and a knife in the bed of the truck.

A knife in his right hand, while it is on top of the cab is consistent with both...the (possible) knife is only there for a frame or two...so maybe the officer saw it for the equivalent of six frames...what's that, 1/8th of a second...5 times longer than a blink of an eye...

I find it entirely plausible that the object I'm seeing was a knife and the suspect lost hold of it while climbing out of the truck, without the officer's knowledge...while the empty mag and the handcuffed corpse may seem excessive, based on what I've seen, I can't say that the initial decision to use deadly force seems wrong.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Good shoot.

Parolee with a history of violence, suspected of domestic violence very recently, disobeying lawful orders in a traffic stop, and making furtive movements? Even if no weapon was found, which one was (and the officer identified audibly on video), this offender was looking for the police to use force upon him. Maybe he didn't expect it to be lethal force, but as numerous people have said on here before:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I would agree that the first three shots were a good shoot. The following eight, not so much. As for the 'play stupid games...' quote, I would ask these people if they are really OK with summary execution.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Given his prior history, the fact that he WILL re-offend and the fact that he was on parole and failed a drug test as well as having the home staked out because of domestic violence I honestly fail to see why anyone is bothered by this piece of **** being killed.

What can i say. I hope his death was slow and it hurt every moment of it.
    Filth deserves no mercy. Give the cop a medal.

He was still an American. :patriot:

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I'm not trying to second guess the officer, as I wasn't there. A couple of things come to mind though. While I didn't see a knife, the article reports that a knife was found in the bed of the truck.

Now, a man within 5 meters with a knife presents a lethal threat, even to someone armed with a gun. There's a name for that scenario, but it escapes me at the moment. So, I think that the initial shooting was in fact justified. However, 11 rounds, more than half of which were fired and struck the suspect/assailant after he was incapacitated seems excessive.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    FROM THE FOOTAGE...

I say the officer at the time thought he was just in pulling the trigger, however... he really had no reason to pull the trigger. The guy was getting out to run and got caught in the seatbelt and the cop shot him when there probably wasn't much threat there.

Afterall, the cop was the one who decided he should put himself within 5 feet of the suspect. When he seen that the suspect wasn't cooperating he panicked and pulled the trigger.

Had he given the guy 20 feet (considering this is a suspect in a domestic violence call and not a murder) he would had given himself more time to make the right decision.

You can justify the shoot... but ultimately it was a poor shoot. IMO he just shot someone who was running away....

Exo594

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    I know that the cop could have done something else. He could have gone for a taser, he also could have gone for his rifle or shotgun. But, I think he was justified in drawing his weapon on an uncooperative previous offender.

As to comments about "X would have been plenty of shots", someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most departments trained to shoot until the threat is neutralized? How was he to know that a potentially violent man who had been dancing around and suspected to have a weapon at that moment wouldn't get up and attack?

Top Bottom