• ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    PHOTO%201%20SIGN.jpg

The fast-food world has proof positive that size matters: a foot-long cheeseburger.
    A cheeseburger sold as a foot-long sandwich, with three burgers and three cheese slices, is being tested at 50 Carl's Jr. restaurants in Southern California and 50 Hardee's units in Indiana. That's the same chain that introduced the world to the 1,400-calorie Monster Burger and the Monster Breakfast Sandwich, with 47 grams of fat.
    The move comes at a time fast-food chains are focused on concocting more items intriguingly low in price but large in size. This summer, there's serious foot-long-on-the-cheap mania.
    The Carl's foot-long fetches $4 without lettuce and tomatoes, $4.50 with.

Sonic just added a $2.99 foot-long hot dog this month. Subway, the king of the $5 sub, will roll out a line of spicy foot-longs in mid-August. Quiznos is eyeing a line of premium foot-longs early this fall — one made with prime rib — for $5.

"We live in a society that's fascinated with all things big," says Scott Hume, editor of BurgerBusiness.com, an industry trade site. "It's inherently American to push for something bigger and better than anyone else has."

The foot-long burger idea was hatched two months ago from a product development chef at Carl's, says Brad Haley, marketing chief. The chain is especially eager to create products that appeal to its core customers: young men ages 18 to 24. "Obviously, the foot-long sandwich has been very successful at Subway. But we decided to do it the Carl's way."
    That means big — and controversial. The sandwich has 850 calories with 20 grams of saturated fat. It's served on a white sub roll, sliced in half and wrapped in butcher paper.

If it's a hit in testing, it could be sold at all Carl's and Hardee's — sister chains in different regions of the country — within three to six months, Haley says.

The move, Hume says, is clearly a response to the wild success that Subway has had with its $5 subs. "Subway is taking 'share of stomach' from the burger places, too," Hume says.

Responds Haley, "I'd rather have a charbroiled, foot-long cheeseburger than a cold, foot-long deli sandwich any day."

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Gotta be better than KFC's Double Down! Nastiest thing ever, tasted like a dirty old blue jay!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    While most other companies are moving towards healthier offerings...not Hardies. They are excelling is producing the closest thing to heart attacks in bags. I haven't eaten at a Hardies in many years. I'll live longer.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    While most other companies are moving towards healthier offerings...not Hardies. They are excelling is producing the closest thing to heart attacks in bags. I haven't eaten at a Hardies in many years. I'll live longer.

Well if you stayed out of Dunkin Doughnuts, you could go to hardees once in awhile :D

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    What I find disturbing is how can they sell that much food for $4.50?

How much did it cost to feed the cows?

How much did it cost to grow the vegetables?

How much do they pay their employees?

How about all the money it took to get all that stuff in a Hardees store to assemble this foot long burger?

:dunno:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This sounds like an April Fools joke. Can't believe it isn't.
    Nope. I saw the ad for it at Hardee's near MCF&G at the beginning of this month when I was there for the mini-Appleseed.

Looked good, but I was busy at lunch; I had stopped in for breakfast.

And yes, bacon would make this awesome to the awesomesauce power.

Blessings,
    Bill

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008

As little as possible
    As little as possible
    As little as possible
    How about all the money it took to get all that stuff in a Hardees store to assemble this foot long burger?
    As little as possible

they are probably making 2 or 3 cent a burger.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Forget the 3 burger patties, I just want a hamburger on a bun that delicious looking instead of the crap you normally get at a fast food place.

And Fenway, the cost analysis applies to lots of things we buy these days. How can the Chinese junk people buy at Walmart possibly be so cheap? Even with the cheapest components and cheapest labor, they still have to manufacture it, package it, ship it halfway around the world, pay American workers to load it onto trucks, pay a driver to drive it to the distribution hub, pay another driver to take it to the store, pay a Walmart employee to unload it and stock it, pay a cashier to ring it up, pay a manager to supervise the employee...etc. How in the world can it still be so cheap?

Last edited:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!

Ours is not to question why!! ours is to buy, eat, and watch our arteries harden and die!!! :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    That thing makes me want to vomit.

1. It's really not that much food...If that is the prettiest the burger is ever going to look, how frail and nasty is the one you pick up at your local Hardee's going to look?

2. Even if they lose a few pennies on the burger, they are still making ~$1.50-$2.00 on a beverage the same on the fries(I don't eat all that much fast food, so I don't know the exact prices).

hmm...I wonder if I can sneak THAT into Burger King? :D

That thread still sucks, quit plugging it.

:D

Top Bottom