• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maperry2125

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    I am in looking to buy my first food dehydrator and was wondering if anyone has and suggestions on brand, reliability, durability and over all ease of use. I am budgeting around $100-$150. I plant a garden every year am an looking to dehydrate and as well as can this year. Thanks

:patriot:

czyhorse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Seymour
    Don't get the cylindrical ones that have the heating element on the bottom. Those are usually cheaper and don't dry your food evenly. We went with an Excalibur dehydrator. It has the heating element in back with a fan that does a better job at evenly drying your food. Excalibur Food Dehydrators Official Factory Website - Commercial Dehydrators & Living Foods Dehydrators For Raw Food Dehydration
    We're happy with it. I'm not sure, but you may be able to find similar designs for a lower price point, however, Excalibur is made in the USA. :patriot:

Also check out the link here: Dehydrate2Store.com | Welcome - Educating and Helping Those Who Want To Learn About Dehydration for beginners guides to dehydrating.

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    +1 for Excalibur. They are more in the $200 range. If you search "refurbished" on their site they often have good deals. We have had a refurbished unit for two years with no problems. They still have a 10 year warranty.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    +3 for the Excaliber. Don't just dip your toes in the water. If you really want one that will work and give years of good service, spend the extra $50.

My wife ran ours nearly 24 hrs a day last fall putting veggies up. Can't say enough good things about it.

maperry2125

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    After reading all the reviews and specs on the the Excaliber dehydrators I think that is what I am going to go with. It looks like a really nice unit. Do you guys have the 5 or the 9 tray model?

Last edited:

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have the 9 tray and would recommend it. Almost double capacity for just a little more $. I do not have the timer. It may save a little energy, but I have never hurt anything by overdrying.

I have gotten hooked on dried dandelion green crushed on top of scrambled eggs. Apples sliced and coated with lemon juice and cinnamon are great too.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    After reading all the reviews and specs on the the Excaliber dehydrators I think that is what I an going to go with. It looks like a really move unit. Do you guys have the 5 or the 9 tray model?

We have the 9 tray. Decided that it would be better to get it than the 5 tray and end up wanting a larger one. Glad we did. We even used it to dry and season 7 bushels of black walnuts that we gleaned from our trees. Could have done the job in the time that we did with the 5 tray.

Top Bottom