• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I have been checking around at a couple shops to replace my stolen XDm. Well today at plainfield shooting supplies I came across a FNP .45, I was impressed by the feel and design but really impressed by the 14+1 mag. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions or owns one and can tell me how you like the firearm?

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    I have been checking around at a couple shops to replace my stolen XDm. Well today at plainfield shooting supplies I came across a FNP .45, I was impressed by the feel and design but really impressed by the 14+1 mag. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions or owns one and can tell me how you like the firearm?
    I don't have the FNP .45 But I do have a FNP 9 . I really like the feel of it. I have only ran about a 100 rounds through it, but not one problem with it. It is also quite accurate. I hope this helps a little.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I have the FN45 I do like it but still like my 21 and 30 a little bit more. Not sure if I will end up keeping it or not

That was one of the other options was looking at a glock 21 or a XD 45 tactical. in truth the only reasons I looked more at the FNP 45 was the reviews I have seen the 14+1 and 15+1 mags and then the feel of the firearm was almost perfect.

This might be a good questions as I was looking around I saw issues with high prices mags and holsters being hard to find for the FNP 45 - is that still a issue or has that issue passed?

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    That was one of the other options was looking at a glock 21 or a XD 45 tactical. in truth the only reasons I looked more at the FNP 45 was the reviews I have seen the 14+1 and 15+1 mags and then the feel of the firearm was almost perfect.

This might be a good questions as I was looking around I saw issues with high prices mags and holsters being hard to find for the FNP 45 - is that still a issue or has that issue passed?

Ithink mags are about 30 to 35.00 not bad but wish they were cheaper,I bought the shooter pack and comes with a Bladetech holster and mag carrier

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    I too have an FNP 45 and really like it. Purchased last fall and have put almost 800 rounds through it---not one mishap---has been 100 percent reliable. I've been using it as a daily carry and it comes out and up to a natural point for me. Accuracy has been great. The handgun will outshoot me. (for whatever that's worth)
    If you prefer leather holsters, check with Kirkpatrick leather out of Laredo Texas. They didn't list the FNP 45 in their catalog, but when I called them they said no problem. Had the holster in my hand in about 4 weeks----fit perfectly.
    The handgun is very easy to breakdown and clean and as you mention the three high capacity magazines that come with it are nice.
    Would I by another? Definitely!!

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Serial Crusher rants and raves about his FN-P9 and FN-P45. I'm surprised he hasn't jumped on this thread yet.

Well I didn't see it until now. I'd like to take this opportunity to make the assertion that the FNP series of pistols are the finest pistols ever manufactured... just kidding. They are great pistols though, I have the 9 and 45 and have had no issues with them. On top of being good pistols they have a few other things going for them. Every thing is replaceable, trigger group and frame rails included. FN has great customer service. I haven't had any problems with mine, but I called FN to ask for some leads on where to get a holster, and they sent me one free of charge. I talked to several real human beings when I called their customer service as well.

The cheif difficulty with the pistols is holsters and accessories. If you're looking for a serpa you won't find it. FN doesn't hype their more conventional products like they do everything else they make, so market support is sluggish. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you buy one.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I just got home, so I got an opportunity to look through my bookmarks. Safariland, Blade-Tech and Galco all make holsters specifically for the FNP-45. You can also get a Crossbreed Supertuck for it, but I can't imagine that would be comfortable at all. It is a duty size plus pistol so concealing it will be a feat. That's very similar to any double stack .45. I talked to one of the customer service people at FN and was told that anything that will accommodate a USP45 fullsize will fit the FNP-45. I'm not sure it this is true or not. It seems closer in size to the MK23, but it's been a while since I've handled either. I'd say just based on your comment that the pistol fits your hand you should buy it, but you haven't commented on how the Glock feels.

Here's a picture of my babies. I carry the FNP-9 as my "deep concealment" rig - a high ride holster with a slight cant. An untucked shirt makes it disappear.
    p1010409e.jpg

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I tried the glock and the feel didn't match with me to be honest so I leaned away from the glock for now. The FNP .45 seems to be a great match and the fit was perfect even better then the XDm 40 which surprised me but then again every person is different. Well I guess I need to make a trip to see if I can put one on layaway. Thanks again everyone for all your help!

P.S.
    If anyone has any accessories sites for the FNP .45 please list them if possible. Im looking for sights, mags, holster, and if you can think of extra please list it.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I couldn't miss this, since I've been evangelizing the things for so long. The holster issue limits your options, but magazines can be found many places. All FNPs come with 3 magazines, so it's not much of an issue to me. All the FNPs have a standard 1913 rail on the dust cover so most lights/lasers/combos should fit it. These pistols have a lot of things going for them, but they're often overlooked. I think this is largely due to FN. Only recently have they started advertising for this line of pistols in major magazines, notably the NRA magazines. Hopefully holster companies will pick up on this and start making a full line of options for carry. The FNP-45 is a large pistol, but it is definitely not unwieldy. I have average sized hands and can reach well beyond the trigger guard. The trigger guard doesn't have a full finger recess in it like other combat pistols, just straight vertical with texture. The trigger guard has a lot of space in it, I'm sure I could fire it with welding gloves on. Seeing the pictures in ads and on the web, it looks small, so you're surprised when you pick one up. It isn't huge, and FN has done a lot to keep the controls together and make the pistol a size that most anyone can handle.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I couldn't miss this,

Could you post pics with your hand on the grip of the two? Also state the size of gloves you wear. I'd like to see how much the grip sticks out of the bottom. My hands are medium sized, but I wear large gloves. Medium sized gloves are snug on my hands. Not tight, but I like my fingers have extra room to wiggle...

Hasn't played with the 9, but I handled FNP-45 at Gander, man that grip is long. It sticks out about an inch at the bottom. For comparison, my G23's grip is a perfect fit for my hands, lengthwise. My fingers fit exactly into the figer grooves, and there's no extra room on the grip. The only sticks out is the mag floor plate...

Thx! :yesway:

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Both my father and I have FNP45s. Dad has roughly 1300 through his, around 900 through mine.

When shooting full-power ammo, not a single problem. When using light, money-saving target loads, it has a few fail to ejects every now and then. But never a fail to feed.

The instant we held them we liked them. Great guns IMO.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Could you post pics with your hand on the grip of the two? Also state the size of gloves you wear. I'd like to see how much the grip sticks out of the bottom. My hands are medium sized, but I wear large gloves. Medium sized gloves are snug on my hands. Not tight, but I like my fingers have extra room to wiggle...

Hasn't played with the 9, but I handled FNP-45 at Gander, man that grip is long. It sticks out about an inch at the bottom. For comparison, my G23's grip is a perfect fit for my hands, lengthwise. My fingers fit exactly into the figer grooves, and there's no extra room on the grip. The only sticks out is the mag floor plate...

Thx! :yesway:

I wear a large size glove, but as I've said, my hands are pretty much average in size. I have the flat backstraps on both the 9 and 45. It is less an issue of hand size and more about comfort. I don't care for the arched backstraps. Here are some of the FNP-45. All the talk about gloves made me think of how other manufacturers talk about being able to use a pistol with gloves as a feature.
    p8050008.jpg
    p8050010.jpg
    p8050009.jpg

Here are some of the FNP-9. You can see that despite the difference in size, the dimension and distance to the controls is very similar. It also has a generous trigger guard. The grip is shorter in height, but it accommodates 16 9mm to the 45's 14.
    p8050012.jpg
    p8050013.jpg
    p8050014.jpg

Top Bottom