• ...and so much more!
  • G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Josh,

Glad you were not hurt worse than you were.

I am not qualified to have an opinion on why the gun failed so I won't even attempt.

Hope you heal quickly and don't have a fear of shooting over this.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    People....come on....please read closer...

This is NOT Josh's personal experience, he's reposting something...

-J-

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    At the end of the thread the OP states that:

So from FNH's findings, the cause was excessive pressure caused by a double charge (~10grains of TrueBlue powder). Like everything both mechanical and human, there was an error. In all honestly I'm still not quite convinced that I double charged the load, but from their findings of excessive pressure that they were able to duplicate in almost the exact same manner, it is probably the result of a double charge.

I accept the findings of FNH's investigation and testing of the incident that happened to me on April 12, 2008. I accept full responsibility for the accident and hope that others can learn from my mistakes.

I also want to make clear that in my original post, my statements were based off of my observations and firearm at hand. [I kept the Five-seveN in the original condition it was in when the failure happened to preserve anything that might help in FNH's investigation and the only thing I did was handle it, I never tampered with(or cleaned) any part of the gun.] My original post was based on the lack of customer support I had received from FNH after my accident. I never asked FNH to replace my firearm for free, I merely asked if they would like to take the gun in for inspection.

So, for now, I guess I will not write it off as too dangerous to shoot and will stick to my Glock .40! :):

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Ok I have wanted to get into reloading. I haven't yet due to financial restraints. My question is this. Why do re-loaders, over load the cartridge in the first place. I know like most things it is most likely a "bigger is better" concept. But why not just step up in caliber? Surely there are better ways to enhance performance than to over load. Or is it simply a matter curiosity getting out of hand ?

I know that I have a lot more research to do, and a learning curve to over come, but why risk your health and safety / security as well as your gun?

My reason for wanting to reload stems from the desire to reduce cost, reuse the usable.

I don't like the way the government can tax individual items. I can see the use of taxes as a means of controlling gun owners. I also could see tracking ammunition sales as a way of determining gun ownership.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    My question is this. Why do re-loaders, over load the cartridge in the first place.

Because they make a simple mistake. That's all it is.

Double charging is a boo-boo that can cost you a gun or a hand. That is why attention to detail and workflow is vital when reloading.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    And I was about to say out of battery was out of the question, the violence of that was far too large of a charge. Five seveNs don't just explode for any old reason, they are very tough firearms.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Damn Josh, lucky you didn't lose more. Glad you're ok now, but damn.....

Just to clarify: It wasn't me. Thanks for the thoughts, but it was a thread I stumbled across, nothing more.

I found it interesting and wanted a fresh perspective from you find folks.

I still need a shell holder, die set, and priming machine (or do the dies prime..?) before I can start reloading, and I believe my focus will be on .45acp.

Thanks again for the concern though!

Josh <><

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    ...and I believe my focus will be on .45acp.

Even .45 can Kaboom:

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I am heavy into 5.7x28 and everything I have read about reloading is that the round is super sensitive to the amount of powder used. Even slight overloads can lead to ka-booms. Decided to stick to reloading other rounds and leave the 5.7x28 to the factory.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    That sucks a lot. My worst fear about about starting reloading. But it's actually money thats keeping me from it, not worrying about over-charging. Sucks to see any gun go boom.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have heard that any overage, even the slightest is running a huge risk in 5.7 pistols. Also, I have heard of out of battery explosions with improperly sized casings. If one is to load for 5.7, remember its a super tolerance cartridge from the year 2525 to defeat tactical robot assassin droids, get dies and reloading set up appropriate for the year. You MAY need a Delorean for this...

All kidding aside :D

Lee dies for this may be a little loose. I love my Lee dies and set up, but they are the AK of all dies, they will size anything, but not to the tolerance that people need for very high precision cartridges. My .223 sizing die is an RCBS as the Lee die left a part at the bottom unsized (and claimed it was full length). Professional grade dies (RCBS, Dillon, etc...) would be great for this, a minimum investment alone. My Lees are great for .38 and some .223, but something that crazy (5.7) may need something a little more.

Top Bottom