• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Going home to Indiana next week. Due to short time home will have to fly. Since I am not comfortable leaving a firearm in the car the air port. Looks like I will have to fly with it. So here is the problem there is a connection in IL. So is there anything I need to be concerned with?

I wont. Be leaving the Air port.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It must be unloaded, in a proper FAA approved locked case and checked with your luggage. Don't forget to declare it when you check in at the ticket counter.

Double check with your airline for the specifics.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I would double check local laws before taking possession of your bag if your flight schedule changes and leaves you stranded where your firearm is illegal...i.e. People's Democratic Republic of New York.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    call the airlines
    they will give you accurate information.
    place your unloaded weapon in a case. all ammunition and mags in another case.
    nothing in a carry on.

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Don't turn over the key or combo to anyone you should be the only one with it and if they ask you to your response should be that you will open it in a safe location. There is a nice list of the laws and your rights you might want to carry with you. If someone could provide or I will later tonight.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    If your fierarm is properly packaged and declared you'll have no problems if its checked to IND. If you have to switch airlines, or deplane, claim your bag(s) and re check them, you may be in trouble, happens all the time at JFK. But if they are checked through legally, and just switched from plane to plane they dont normaly go back through security at a connecting airport.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yup. Seems I remember reading in the news people being arrested even though they follow all the laws. Flying with a gun would be a last resort for me. But people do it all the time, Im just paranoid.
    They were driving and didn't even have a gun with them, The MD police simple knew, from his records, that he held a carry permit and pulled him over in an attempt to see if he had a gun on him. He chose to leave his firearm behind while traveling so the held and searched his car, interrogated his wife and two children for hours until they were finally satisfied he didn't have a firearm in his vehicle with him. In general a completely arrogant over use of police power and I hope the two officers find themselves needing a job and blackballed from law enforcement of any kind for life. They should do time too IMO but I don't know what the charge might be.

This was in Last Night's NRA-ILA email if you want to check it out, also the link is on their page as well.

I've flown with a gun a LOT and the only thing I was ever mad about was a time they cut the locks off my case to inspect it rather than calling me over the intercom for my keys as they usually do. The airline paid me for the cut padlocks and apologized though so I guess I can't be too angry.

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    They were driving and didn't even have a gun with them, The MD police simple knew, from his records, that he held a carry permit and pulled him over in an attempt to see if he had a gun on him. He chose to leave his firearm behind while traveling so the held and searched his car, interrogated his wife and two children for hours until they were finally satisfied he didn't have a firearm in his vehicle with him. In general a completely arrogant over use of police power and I hope the two officers find themselves needing a job and blackballed from law enforcement of any kind for life. They should do time too IMO but I don't know what the charge might be.

This was in Last Night's NRA-ILA email if you want to check it out, also the link is on their page as well.

I've flown with a gun a LOT and the only thing I was ever mad about was a time they cut the locks off my case to inspect it rather than calling me over the intercom for my keys as they usually do. The airline paid me for the cut padlocks and apologized though so I guess I can't be too angry.

that came from left field...

One other suggestion I have is it might be worth it making the locked case as big as possible like a pelican rifle case. It is no secret that cases that are small have a way of making it out of airports. It would be hard for an employee to steal a rifle size case....

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    • All firearms must be declared to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    • The term firearm includes:*Please see, for instance, United States Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44 for information about firearm definitions.
      • Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.
      • The frame or receiver of any such weapon.
      • Any firearm muffler or firearm silencer.
      • Any destructive device.
    • The firearm must be unloaded.
      • As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 - "A loaded firearm means a firearm that has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm."
    • The firearm must be in a hard-sided container that is locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.
    •  If firearms are not properly declared or packaged, TSA will provide the checked bag to law enforcement for resolution with the airline. If the issue is resolved, law enforcement will release the bag to TSA so screening may be completed.
    • TSA must resolve all alarms in checked baggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
    • If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.
    • Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.
    • Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
    • Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.
    • TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.
    • Rifle scopes are not prohibited in carry-on bags and do not need to be in the hard-sided, locked checked bag.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    They were driving and didn't even have a gun with them, The MD police simple knew, from his records, that he held a carry permit and pulled him over in an attempt to see if he had a gun on him.

I was trying to be lazy, but heres a couple top results:

Arrested and Detained at New York's LaGuardia for Declaring Toy Guns in My CHECKED Luggage |

Tea party's Mark Meckler arrested on gun charge - CBS News

Pregnant Mom Arrested in New York for Unloaded Handgun in Checked Baggage | TheBlaze.com

the risk would be, what if your bags get lost and end up in an anti-gun state. What if winter weather foreces your plane down for 3 days and you are forced to take possession in a state where you are not allowed to have it.

i will grant you the chance is low, but so is the chance of a person getting attacked - yet we still carry based on remote "what if" scenarios.

in other news: 1,000 posts.....wow, I've wasted a lot of time....

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    • All firearms must be declared to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    • The term firearm includes:*Please see, for instance, United States Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44 for information about firearm definitions.
      • Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.
      • The frame or receiver of any such weapon.
      • Any firearm muffler or firearm silencer.
      • Any destructive device.
    • The firearm must be unloaded.
      • As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 - "A loaded firearm means a firearm that has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm."
    • The firearm must be in a hard-sided container that is locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.
    •  If firearms are not properly declared or packaged, TSA will provide the checked bag to law enforcement for resolution with the airline. If the issue is resolved, law enforcement will release the bag to TSA so screening may be completed.
    • TSA must resolve all alarms in checked baggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
    • If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.
    • Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.
    • Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
    • Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.
    • TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.
    • Rifle scopes are not prohibited in carry-on bags and do not need to be in the hard-sided, locked checked bag.

That's. e xactly what I found thanks.

I went to a few local stores here and found its going to be about $100.00 for a case that would be Faa approved plus the cost of checking a bag. Yuck. So I was talking to the manager here at the Residence Inn I have been staying at and he told me what he could do for me.

Then he called the managed at the Brentwood location who advised they offer free safe deposit boxes to their guest. He advised it takes two keys to open the box and the manager would retain the other key. Also they are insured against loss or damage.

So looks like problem solved a big plus one for the Marriott chain of hotels.

hochwald

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    South Bend

OP is flying, not driving. People get into hot water while flying when plans go astray (missed connections, bad weather, cancelled flights) and you take possession of bags in intermediate localities before your destination. For example:

Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court | Fox News

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just check it in per FAA and airline rules, put your own lock on it and you will be fine. Thousands of hunters do it and they even fly through Europe into Africa etc. Chicago won't be a problem.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    OP is flying, not driving. People get into hot water while flying when plans go astray (missed connections, bad weather, cancelled flights) and you take possession of bags in intermediate localities before your destination. For example:

Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court | Fox News
    I was replying to someone other than the OP within the thread.
    I read English well and can even read several other languages so I know what the OP is asking.
    Did you read the bottom few lines of my post or did you just jump at the chance to correct me?

hochwald

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    South Bend
    I was replying to someone other than the OP within the thread.
    I read English well and can even read several other languages so I know what the OP is asking.
    Did you read the bottom few lines of my post or did you just jump at the chance to correct me?

Just providing info to the OP, apologies.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom