• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I have read that the plastic factory box your gun came with is suitable for commercial air travel if it can be locked and not be pried open to the point the gun can be removed. Has anyone flown with these cases? Is it advisable to purchase a better made case designed specifically for air transport?

Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    My friend flew with 2 handguns in a manufacturer case to California. He just had to have the case locked and I think he had to have his bag locked as well. I can't remember. On his way back he flew with a new shotgun and it wasn't in a manufacturer case. He did say though that they had to be in a locked case, I'm pretty sure that you have to have your bag locked as well, and when you check in for your flight you have to tell the people at the desk that you have a firearm in your checked luggage. They will have you check with someone from security/ police who will check it and then slip a piece of paper in your bag in case it gets checked somewhere along the way. that way the person who checks it knows that you didn't try to sneak it in. Different airports will have different reactions when you tell them you're checking a firearm. But before you should check with the airport to see what they and the airline wants you to do.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've always bypassed the airline nonsense by shipping my guns ahead.
    Usually to a friend, family member or business acquaintances I trust. If using USPS for a handgun, I field stripped the gun and called it "Machining Parts". Ship it with the holsters you wish to wear. Buy some ammo when you get there and send it all back home before you leave.

If traveling a lot to the same location, just leave that gun and set up there for the future.

I haven't flown anywhere that there aren't people that I don't know - yet. Not sure what I'd do then.

I trust any shipping company way more than I trust TSA. :draw:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Listen to the Duck ^^^

That's a good idea but I don't know anyone to ship it to. Just going to Florida for a couple of weeks vacation. We have always driven before because I like the drive. We usually split the drive into two days. Well my wife doesn't enjoy the ride as much as I do so we will fly this time. I wonder if I could ship it to the hotel we will stay at? Or better yet to a post office by the airport. I really just wondered about the case. Thanks for the response.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    as long as the case can be locked, and not easily pried open it is fine with the TSA.

do NOT use a TSA lock. every TSA agent will then have a key to your firearm, and you are the only person who should have access.

if the lock is in the middle, and you can open the latches to pry it open, i would get something more secure.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've always bypassed the airline nonsense by shipping my guns ahead.
    Usually to a friend, family member or business acquaintances I trust. If using USPS for a handgun, I field stripped the gun and called it "Machining Parts". Ship it with the holsters you wish to wear. Buy some ammo when you get there and send it all back home before you leave.

If traveling a lot to the same location, just leave that gun and set up there for the future.

I haven't flown anywhere that there aren't people that I don't know - yet. Not sure what I'd do then.

I trust any shipping company way more than I trust TSA. :draw:

I'm pretty sure that even when disassembled a handgun is still legally a handgun... and shipping a handgun via USPS without being an FFL holder is a BIG NO-NO... long-gun is ok though...

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have transported handguns in plastic gun cases on American and United airlines in the USA, flying out of Fort Wayne via ORD and on to Florida and Texas. The handguns had to be locked in the case with empty mags removed from gun. Ammo had to be in a separate container in original package. The case had to be locked.

I had to declare the firearm to the agent at check-in. The procedure varied with the airlines, but in both situations the case had to be opened for inspection by the agent. Once inspected and approved, the agent observed the weapon being locked in the case with the ammo secured separately. A signed inspection tag was placed in the luggage with the case, to alert TSA that inspection had been completed.

I started the process at check-in by stating to the agent, "I need to make a declaration about the contents of this bag." Both times the agent knew immediately what I wanted and initiated the procedure without hesitation.

Follow the rules, word your declaration carefully, comply with all instructions at check-in. You will not have any problems. Plastic manufacturer's case is not a problem. Just be sure you can lock the case, as well as the bag, with TSA approved locks. TSA will inspect it after it is checked in.

Safe journey.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I have transported handguns in plastic gun cases on American and United airlines in the USA, flying out of Fort Wayne via ORD and on to Florida and Texas. The handguns had to be locked in the case with empty mags removed from gun. Ammo had to be in a separate container in original package. The case had to be locked.

I had to declare the firearm to the agent at check-in. The procedure varied with the airlines, but in both situations the case had to be opened for inspection by the agent. Once inspected and approved, the agent observed the weapon being locked in the case with the ammo secured separately. A signed inspection tag was placed in the luggage with the case, to alert TSA that inspection had been completed.

I started the process at check-in by stating to the agent, "I need to make a declaration about the contents of this bag." Both times the agent knew immediately what I wanted and initiated the procedure without hesitation.

Follow the rules, word your declaration carefully, comply with all instructions at check-in. You will not have any problems. Plastic manufacturer's case is not a problem. Just be sure you can lock the case, as well as the bag, with TSA approved locks. TSA will inspect it after it is checked in.

Safe journey.

This here is it. Flew a couple weeks ago. Abide by the above and you should be fine. BUT, check the air lines web site to be sure. There may be some that won't permit it no matter what.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy

Safe journey.

i've heard people say to use TSA locks before - but read the wording carefully. TSA rules state (from what i remember - correct me if i am wrong) that ONLY you shoudl have access to the firearm. using a TSA lock means that every TSA agent will have access to that luggage. once it is inspected, and that tag is put on (it shoudl be put on so that if it is opened, the tag must be torn) there is NO reason for it to be opened until YOU open it after leaving the airport. the TSA at the arriving airport has no reason to open it.

again - if my understanding is incorrect, please correct me.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    That's a good idea but I don't know anyone to ship it to. Just going to Florida for a couple of weeks vacation. We have always driven before because I like the drive. We usually split the drive into two days. Well my wife doesn't enjoy the ride as much as I do so we will fly this time. I wonder if I could ship it to the hotel we will stay at? Or better yet to a post office by the airport. I really just wondered about the case. Thanks for the response.
    Stop by my parent's house in FL and ask to borrow my Mom's Ruger SR9c.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    i've heard people say to use TSA locks before - but read the wording carefully. TSA rules state (from what i remember - correct me if i am wrong) that ONLY you shoudl have access to the firearm. using a TSA lock means that every TSA agent will have access to that luggage. once it is inspected, and that tag is put on (it shoudl be put on so that if it is opened, the tag must be torn) there is NO reason for it to be opened until YOU open it after leaving the airport. the TSA at the arriving airport has no reason to open it.

again - if my understanding is incorrect, please correct me.

That is correct. Use TSA locks on the luggage itself, which allows TSA to open the lock for inspection, then lock it up when they are done; and use your own lock to which TSA does not have a magic key for locking the firearm case.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    As somebody already said, check your airline's regulations. I will be flying back to Indiana next month and already booked my flight through AirTran. I have to have my gun and ammo in separate pieces of luggage, not just separate containers but separate pieces of luggage. I don't know about you, but I don't really want to check another piece of luggage just for a box of ammo. That said, I also don't want to take the chance of not being able to find any when I get up there. Decisions... I looked at UPS prices and they are pretty darn expensive.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Where can I get a TSA lock?
    That is correct. Use TSA locks on the luggage itself, which allows TSA to open the lock for inspection, then lock it up when they are done; and use your own lock to which TSA does not have a magic key for locking the firearm case.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    TSA locks you can usually find at hardware stores i believe?

for the regular locks on your firearms case, you can buy packs of masterlocks at home depot that all use a matching key. pretty nice if you have more than one case, or are using more than one lock per case

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    TSA locks you can usually find at hardware stores i believe?

for the regular locks on your firearms case, you can buy packs of masterlocks at home depot that all use a matching key. pretty nice if you have more than one case, or are using more than one lock per case

Even better are the locks from Master Lock that use your home key so you don't have to carry an extra key around. I think you have to have a Kwikset lock on your home for that to work though. That or Schlage.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Do NOT use the little locks that TSA and everyone else can open. YOU should be the ONLY one able to open your case!
    you can put your locked gun case inside your regular luggage, or better yet, use your regular luggage AS your "secured case". That way you can keep all your stuff locked up away from prying eyes!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom