Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Florida City Considers Outsourcing Law Enforcement

police_cars_line_crop380w.jpg

November 16, 2009

PANAMA CITY, FL – A Panama City commissioner said Saturday the city might be able to save money by abolishing the Panama City Police Department and contracting with the Bay County Sheriff ’s Office for law-enforcement services.

Commissioner John Kady brought the issue up during a two day workshop that began Friday and ended Saturday.

“It might be smarter for us, from an economic standpoint, to contract with the Sheriff,” Kady said in an interview with The News Herald. He added he had no problems with the police department.

“I think the officers and managers do a great job,” Kady said.

Mayor Scott Clemons said he believed the commission was willing to, at least, investigate the cost savings that could come with such a move. “We have to be good stewards of our tax dollars,” Clemons said. However, Sheriff Frank McKeithen seemed to take a dim view of the possible change. “Number one, I think Panama City has an excellent police department and we work very well together,” McKeithen said.

He added he would only do a study into the matter if the commission voted for it at a commission meeting. McKeithen said individuals from various cities do ask about outsourcing their law enforcement responsibilities from time to time and that his department tries to avoid those requests unless the commission involved votes in favor of the study.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Hmm, I don't know much about either PD so I cannot say if it is a good idea or not. However, I thought that it is a fairly good sized city so I might assume they have a decent sized department. The Sheriff's department will have to hire more deputies to cover the new areas. I have a feeling that the transition will result in less coverage. Maybe they are talking about merging the existing PD officers with the Sheriff's dept so coverage would be the same. However, there is not usually much savings involved.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I'm sure it'll be kinda like what happened with Marion County Sheriff and IPD. Though in the case, the city cops will likely be absorbed by the County Sheriff.

Top Bottom