• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Found out today that Flat Creek range here on the south side of Lafayette will be closed for the summer.

I did not frequent this range much because of their higher costs but it was nice to go to every so often when I just had an itching to shoot my handguns, like I did today.

I had noticed the last few times I had passed the place, their "Sorry, We're Closed" sign was up on days they should have been open.

Today it was in the window but the front door was open. I stopped and went in and was promptly told by an older lady sweeping the floor that they would be closed. She explained that the range would be closed for "about 14 weeks" because of "things they had to get done around there". :dunno: She told me they were putting freezes on the yearly memberships (thank goodness I never got one).

Just thought I would inform everyone so no one makes a wasted trip to Lafayette.

Last edited:

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    I'd heard they ventilation system need some work and without the range they couldn't afford to keep the place open. I'd alos heard it was closed for good. Rumors have a way of spreading like wildfire though. :twocents:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I agree and disagree, Sig.. sure, there's nice places to shoot nearby, but they're not nearly as good in the pouring down rain. I find it interesting that there isn't an indoor shooting range (other than flat creek) ANYWHERE nearby..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    there is just not that much rain ...

Some outdoor ranges have coverd shooting lines..
    stand there and use a popper....

As mentioned above, indoor ranges require expensive ventilation and lead clean up.. and have a very hard time getting zoning and other permits...

If there is an outdoor range , let alone 2 or 3, nearby then the $ base is not going to support an indoor range...

I hate to see any range close , but I can see how hard it might be to meet the costs...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I am saddened to report that Flat Creek is closed. When I went by a couple of days ago, there was a "for sale" sign in front, the building was empty, and there was a note on the door about a "court-appointed receiver".

I will miss going there to shoot and I will miss Walt, Sally, and Pat. I hope that they come out of this OK.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I am saddened to report that Flat Creek is closed. When I went by a couple of days ago, there was a "for sale" sign in front, the building was empty, and there was a note on the door about a "court-appointed receiver".

I will miss going there to shoot and I will miss the Walt, Sally, and Pat. I hope that they come out of this OK.

Blessings,
    Bill

Well dang... there goes the neighborhood. I thought something sounded fishy when I first heard about their "summer closing". Guess I have to find a new indoor shooting spot.

Maybe someone will come along and purchase and re-open the range.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a friend that had a firearm with Flat Creek when they closed down.
    At last inquiry, they had STILL not received their gun back, and could NOT get anyone to return their calls!

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Not sure how far of a drive it would be for most of you, but there is always Roby's Bullseye Outdoors over in Kokomo. It has an indoor range, thought I think it might be only one or two lanes. It's a straight shot over st. rd. 26 from Lafayette to Kokomo.

melloshmello

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Not sure how far of a drive it would be for most of you, but there is always Roby's Bullseye Outdoors over in Kokomo. It has an indoor range, thought I think it might be only one or two lanes. It's a straight shot over st. rd. 26 from Lafayette to Kokomo.

i havent been there for a few years (for the range, anyway), but i recall it being at least 4 lanes, and i really want to say its 6 lanes..

gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    does anyone know why they closed down? I hope everyone is in good health still, I know the range was a bit on the $$$ side but they were good people all in all.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    does anyone know why they closed down? I hope everyone is in good health still, I know the range was a bit on the $$$ side but they were good people all in all.
    JUST A RUMOR, but I've heard from different sources that it was due to EPA violations having to do with the ventilation system being either inadequate to the task, OR simply NOT being utilized properly.

Last edited:

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    RUMOR: I was told by someone who knows the owners to keep an eye on the local paper...you will read about them there in the very near future. Apparently there WAS an EPA issue and there was some other legal issues...but I would not know, I have only been there once and refused to return after that visit due to their business practices and the very rude attitude of the one person there that day.

As a business owner myself I predicted that with his attitude and the way they ran the business and treated a new/first time customer that they would not be in business long...guess I was right!!

gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    actually I was curious if it had to do with the EPA... I will be interested to see what comes of this.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a friend that had a firearm with Flat Creek when they closed down.
    At last inquiry, they had STILL not received their gun back, and could NOT get anyone to return their calls!

UPDATE: My friend called today to tell me that Walt had returned her call regarding her handgun and returned it (the gun) to her home two days later :yesway:

No explanation as to why it took so long to return, but at least she got it back! :rockwoot:

Still no word as to WHY they closed down.:dunno:

Just thought folks might like to know:patriot:

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    Before they closed, the lady told me that they were having a lead clean-up crew come in.

Either way, I can't afford $22/hour as a college student. If they went out of business, I would NOT be surprised.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I was a member there (you go often enough and it's worth it, since you could shoot hot/cold/rain/snow year-round), and it's a shame to have the only indoor range in town closed -- even if it's only 25 yards.

I have no inside knowledge, but I'm guessing they just weren't making enough money to pay the bills -- and I wouldn't be surprised if the crazy cost of EPA compliance with lead was a big part of that.

gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Walt is a good guy and I had no doubt he would return that firearm...he's probably just dealing with a lot right now. I hope everything goes well for the family.

Top Bottom