• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    A question for the more experienced people --

1. Some flashlights click on (you press once, and the light comes on and stays on without having to keep pressure on the button). Some flashlights press for temporary on (the light is one for as long as you keep pressure on the button). While training with a flashlight and an unloaded pistol in the comfort of my home, it occurred to me that in a high-stress situation, applying pressure with my left thumb might translate into a sympathetic squeeze of my right index finger, which would be a very bad idea. Is that a realistic concern?

2. Is "clicking on" better than "pressing on" for preventing interlimb interaction?

I've never had an ND, even in low-light classes. But then again, in those courses I'm not going through a dark house with bad guys all around me.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target. Why would your finger be on the trigger before acquiring a target?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Anything you do with one hand could cause a 'sympathetic inter-limb interaction'-- grabbing at someone's clothing, opening a door, catching yourself falling, etc. I've read accounts of improperly trained cops accidentally shooting suspects due to using a light and gun at the same time (even weapon-mounted ones with a DG switch). So yes, it is a realistic concern.

As stated above, a strict adherence to keeping your trigger finger off the trigger and high on the frame is the best method of combating this phenomenon IMO. I used to keep my finger straight on the frame of the gun, just above the trigger. After doing FoF and some combatives I now keep my finger even higher on the slide.

To your second question, I still find the momentary-only switch a better option under stress. Using a click-y switch in classes I was never able to ensure it was ON when I wanted it to be, and OFF when I needed it to be.

Overall I think this is a problem better solved by adjusting your training than adjusting your gear.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Use of a click style switch allows the light to be left on with out turning an endcap or holding down on the switch which becomes hard to do after a very short time. The click switch also allows you to screw the endcap completely down removing the chance of the endcap backing off causing the switch to not work or worse loosing the batteries. Click switches typically allow for more light discipline as the switch is typically slightly harder to depress reducing accidental activation.

Intermittent use of a light is only effective for a short time. Once a shot if fired or you use the light multiple times your presence will be well known. It if better to leave the light on and see what is in the dark vs trying to sneak around in the dark which is typically short lived. Unless you are running night vision, being able to see where you are going is pretty important in the dark.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    To your second question, I still find the momentary-only switch a better option under stress. Using a click-y switch in classes I was never able to ensure it was ON when I wanted it to be, and OFF when I needed it to be.

Overall I think this is a problem better solved by adjusting your training than adjusting your gear.

I never had a problem with a clicky switch, and I never had an ND in class with it, whether due to sympathetic squeeze or anything else. But then I haven't yet gotten stressed in classes the way that some people do. (Maybe I need to try some other classes?) In other words, I'm thinking about a potential problem rather than a known problem. But maybe it's not really a problem after all... Or maybe I don't know yet.

Thanks for the input, guys!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I never had a problem with a clicky switch, and I never had an ND in class with it, whether due to sympathetic squeeze or anything else.

The NDs I've seen before involved illuminated lights swinging around on lanyards during reloads, or lights staying on after someone got smacked in the face with it. I won't suggest that either of those single things would directly get someone killed, but they were moments when the light was in an unknown state to the user (poor light discipline).

There are some pros to clicky switches, and the weighing of each isn't a huge game-changer, but I still find non-clicky tailcaps to be more controllable.

Top Bottom