Fixed power scope with Horus type reticle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I'm considering a new scope for a .223 bolt gun that I plan to shoot (mostly) paper and (sometimes) steel at 500 yards. What I'd like to do is to be able to try making wind adjustments with a Horus type of reticle as opposed to dialing. I currently use Mil-dot reticles and elevation isn't a problem, but I suck at consistantly holding out in space for wind. I'm not (NOT) looking for a BDC reticle that ties me to a mythical set of circumstances that I'll most likely never encounter. I'm looking for a fixed power scope as I don't want to drop the cash for an FFP variable when I might not like the Horus method if accuracy suffers in order to gain speed. My guess is that in order for a fixed power Horus-ish reticle to be effective I'd want a somewhere around a 16x scope?

Has anyone already gone this route? I'd like to keep the price around $400 since this is a test...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It seems like a neat idea, but I am not sure how well a reticle like this would work.

_318-49595.jpg

Oh, you said 'horus', not 'horse'. :):

postell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2015
    Indiana
    I have a couple of LR Leupolds that I had Horus recticles installed years ago, but mine are adj power. I really like Horus's products, I still have a PDA I can use if needed. I would tend to think for shooting 500 and less on a descent budget I would definitely look at the Vortex listed above.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany

That's a really good deal, and the Viper PST FFP that you sold me is still in heavy rotation! But I think in mils... I guess that wouldn't matter for my use? I'd be shooting at a KD, so I wouldn't be estimating range. If (when :rolleyes:) I miss and can see the splash, it wouldn't really matter if I adjust off the reticle... Hmmm...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That's a really good deal, and the Viper PST FFP that you sold me is still in heavy rotation! But I think in mils... I guess that wouldn't matter for my use? I'd be shooting at a KD, so I wouldn't be estimating range. If (when :rolleyes:) I miss and can see the splash, it wouldn't really matter if I adjust off the reticle... Hmmm...

I know its not exactly what your looking for, but I bring it up because its probably the best deal I've ever offered on a scope period. I bought the last crate Vortex got in, and sold a bunch to other dealers (650 is cheaper than dealer price was on that scope) and Im down to 2 or 3 left. To be honest Im not sure I dont want to keep them because I use that scope on a couple rifles, and absolutely love it.

Top Bottom