• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    In the training environment for just about anything (except maybe basket weaving, lol!) instructors are taught to watch for the "Five Hazardous Attitudes". Well I see no reason this should be kept a secret. Each of us should be aware of these attitudes and that they are a result of natural human behavior. If you find yourself thinking these don't apply to you, or that you are well trained and disciplined for these attitudes to appy to or affect you, you have one or more hazardous attitudes ALREADY!

So keep an eye out for this kind of stuff when at the range:

Invulnerability: "That can't happen to me! I know what I'm doing!"

Machoism: "I can do anything!" OR "Well if HE can do it I can too."

Resignation: "What's the use? Who cares?"

Anti-Authority: "Don't tell me!"

Impulsivity: "Do something... quickly!"

Impulse actions are tricky because defensive situations often require us to act quickly. Even so, there's a huge difference in acting impulsively and using training recall to act quickly.

At an IDPA qualifier a few years ago I was running a shooter through, acting as safety officer. During one segment the shooter stepped behind cover to reload. While doing so she had her finger on the trigger and I yelled "finger!" She looked down at the gun (the slide was forward) and jerked the trigger before I could blink. The gun was pointed right at the wall. This is impusivity. We were lucky. For whatever reason the gun was empty and the slide did not lock back.

Doing a TAP-RACK-ROLL instant action at light speed is not impulsive. It's trained and planned. I just wanted to point out that not all fast actions are impulsive.

Watch out for these attitudes in yourself as well as other at the range! They are going to creep in because no matter how well trained we are, we are still human.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Good points. What are the commonly accepted ways of dealing with these attitudes?

In other words, how do you deal with these people in specific suggestions?

Thanks.

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    no what you mean did stupid thing last weekend,wanted to break down CVA WOLF and hit trigger and brk dwn lever at same time.....thank god or my trainning i always have weapon pointed down range..it scared the poo out of me and i aint scared of nothin LOL Thanks Eddie

Top Bottom