• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ontario

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Frank Yuhas did not leave for the Amazon. He flies for airlines in Toronto and still has one of the cabins on 5 mile lake. Dave does not fly. John Theriault Air is a seperate outfitter. He flies. He does not fly a Beaver. See JTair.com.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Frank Yuhas did not leave for the Amazon. He flies for airlines in Toronto and still has one of the cabins on 5 mile lake. Dave does not fly. John Theriault Air is a seperate outfitter. He flies. He does not fly a Beaver. See JTair.com.

Did you get a hit on google or what?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I go to SW Ontario fishing for lake trout and pike every year (this was my 8th year). We have really good luck using spoons for the pike but honestly they seem to hit just about anything we throw at them but we're fishing lakes that don't get much pressure. This was the first year we made it to a lake that had walleye and smallmouth. It was a very warm year so the fishing was slow (fewer numbers) but we didn't go hungry and still managed to pull some nice one's out of the water.
    IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I didn't read all the posts but when I was 15 we had our cabin broke into by a bear while we were out fishing. So I would take some bear pepper spray, or whatever the repellent is called.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I just got back from Lake of the Woods. I mostly used Northland's Studfinder which is a muskie sized chatterbait and did well. My wife got more fish than I did using a Johnsons Silver Minnow which is about 5" - 6" long and weedless with one hook. It was much easier to unhook a single hook as opposed to a treble. While my wife got more, the majority of mine were bigger using the Studfinder, which is also weedless.
    It also is good to have a large net. We netted the bigger pike and kept them in the water until I got the hook out. I also have a knockoff brand of Boga-Grip from eBay for about 20 bucks that really worked well on the pike.
    Every pike we kept and ate had crawfish in their bellies. One had a baby duck!
    We caught many of the pike trolling from 2 to 4 mph depending on how they were biting.
    Buy all you gear and food on the US side. Lures are 200-400 percent higher once you're there. Food is about 30-100 percent higher in Canada and they have a sales tax of about 13%. The Gander Mountain in Duluth, MN has an great selection of muskie and pike lures. If you are going through Michigan, Mackinaw Outfitters in Mackinaw City has a great selection.
    Lastly, if you are going through International Falls coming back, leave early or be prepapred for a two to three hour wait at the border on the weekends. We saw the line going in so we left Friday morning and got to the border at 6:30 am and were only three cars back.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Canoed into the Boundary Waters in early June... Pike were after anything shiny. Treble hooks were a witch to get out. Smallies were hitting well on Chartreuse Worms. Walleye seem to like the outlets of lakes where some current develops.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

I knew that he never made it down there, though it was my understanding that that's what he wanted to do...also heard he had initially gotten on with Air Canada...never know how much is lost through the grapevine.

Never met John Theriault, just heard he was a decent outfitter from someone up there once. Looking at his website, it seems John may have retired.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Learn to do this really well before you ever leave home. Make sure your partner can do it. Try doing it with one hand, it's not that hard once you've done it but it's kind of a pain in the butt learning to do it with one hand in a boat rocking, getting dark, raining or all three.

Practice with a nice big hook you can see how every thing works, use a clean one and practice in real meat, second best is practicing on an orange.

Ya don't need it often but it can be the difference between a little owie and a ruined trip.

How to remove a hook from a human painlessly

Make sure you've got some pliers strong enough to cut through the shank of the hook...the method above might not work so well for treble hooks, which you'll find on pretty much all of your spoons/spinners for Northern.

Thankfully, I got to learn this without using my own hand ;)

Top Bottom