• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Does the NE Side need an Indoor Range?

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    After a chat with a pal of mine the other day concerning shooting all year round and the available ranges within or near Indy, we were wondering why there isn't an indoor range on the North East side. Well, fellow INGOers, is that something you all would be interested in? I'd love to start one if I could come up with the capital. So, does Fishers, Carmel or Castleton need an indoor range? Would there be too much competition with Pop's and Don's?

Last edited:

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Would love a range on the northeast side. I wouldn't worry about competition - you can never have enough places to shoot. If you can make it happen, I'm sure it would be a big hit. You might also check with someone like IndyGunSafety on here - he's right in Fishers and does NRA and personal protection classes - giving a place like that a spot to do classes in the winter could be a win / win proposition for everyone involved. Good luck.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Having a range on the north side would be KILLER!!!
    If you keep the prices reasonable you could clean house. Ive been going to Roby's in Kokomo a lot lately because they are reasonable ($12 an hour, $8 for a half hour).
    Good luck!!! Hope it happens soon!

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've joined up at HCFG now, but if that didn't exist I'd be all over that. I'd still stop in at least a couple times to support it.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I voted no. I do not enjoy indoor ranges. At the risk of sounding like a hippy, the thought of breathing and ingesting the lead and fumes turns me off.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    We are still in the VERY beginning stages, but we hope to keep membership prices comparable. Looking into 10 pistol and 5 rifle lanes. It will be some time out, so don't get too excited. But the more feedback we hear the range is needed the better.:ar15:

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    If we had a good range in Fishers/Carmel/Westfield/ Noblesville I'd never have to go to Pops again - and Dons is an absolute no-no! Beech Grove has been working on a new range, but from what I hear they have been having many, many problems - mainly to do with the government.:ar15:

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Good luck getting zoning in Carmel, and Westfield, for that matter. If you could swing it, I would probably visit and support you in the winter months (I have access to land during the warm months).

I don't know if I would make the trip over to Fishers/Noblesville, the traffic is to ridonkulous.

I have been contemplating the same thing, actually. BTW, if you decide Westfield is the place for you, then I may be able to help get you in contact with the right people. We went through the zoning board a year or so ago, and let me tell you, it was a major PITA. I think things have gotten a little better, but be prepared to lawyer up.

My :twocents:.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Also, sooner( :) ) or later ( :/ ) Beech Grove Gun Shop will be opening their brand spankin new indoor shooting emporium. Haven't read the thread in a bit so I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading something about 25 or 30 lanes, with some of them 50 yards. In any event, that range will be about a 15 minute drive from the Northside...it is only a minute or two north of the 465/Emerson exit.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd certainly go there in the winter months. Or rainy days. Keep to Fishers or Noblesville and away from Indy and you'll do pretty well. Noblesville loves new businesses and it's the county seat.

DepTaylor

Plinker
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Westfield
    I think it would work out really well. I think another angle for you to sell it is with departments. I am an LEO in a city in Hamilton County and we are always looking for a place to practice and qualify. There are a few outdoor ranges that we use, but before we go, we have to figure out if they are flooded and what shape they are in.

I know we need to be able to shoot in all conditions, and I dont mind shooting outdoors when it is 20 degrees out with a 30mph wind, but man, I hate loading glock mags when I cant feel my fingers for 3 or 4 hours.

I can only imagine that every department in Hamilton County would be interested in utilizing this range for training and qualifications.

I am in Westfield and personally ready to sign up for a membership!

I know I am jumping ahead a little bit, but can you create an online calendar that patrons can fill in slots online and know that they will have a lane when they arrive?

All for it,

Kyle

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I think it would work out really well. I think another angle for you to sell it is with departments. I am an LEO in a city in Hamilton County and we are always looking for a place to practice and qualify. There are a few outdoor ranges that we use, but before we go, we have to figure out if they are flooded and what shape they are in.

I know we need to be able to shoot in all conditions, and I dont mind shooting outdoors when it is 20 degrees out with a 30mph wind, but man, I hate loading glock mags when I cant feel my fingers for 3 or 4 hours.

I can only imagine that every department in Hamilton County would be interested in utilizing this range for training and qualifications.

I am in Westfield and personally ready to sign up for a membership!

I know I am jumping ahead a little bit, but can you create an online calendar that patrons can fill in slots online and know that they will have a lane when they arrive?

All for it,

Kyle

As an LEO, would you know whether or not the local departments would release how many licensed citizens are in each area? This would help a little with the biz plan. I know that there would also be shooters who don't have an LTCH, it's just that you can't calculate them easily.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I'm probably in the minority but really what the greater Indy area lacks more than anything is a passable rifle range.

If you could have an indoor pistol range with a 200-300 yard rifle range out back, you'd be in the money for sure.

avalonbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With as much growth there is in the area on the Northeast side. A range in the area would be out standing.I could stop in on my way to work or on my way home and get in a half hour or more every chance I could. I know many of the ranges are out of my way to get to because of living in Anderson. Driving down to Don's takes 45 minutes. and Pop Guns takes about the same amount of time. With both Rifle and handgun lanes I know I would try to shoot more often seeing it would be closer.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As an LEO, would you know whether or not the local departments would release how many licensed citizens are in each area? This would help a little with the biz plan. I know that there would also be shooters who don't have an LTCH, it's just that you can't calculate them easily.
    After July 1st an LTCH won't be required to visit a range. So, it'll be a wide open market! Above and beyond the LTCH carriers!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom