• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Hey all, I'm thinking of taking up hunting as a sport/hobby and I was wondering what I needed to know to legally hunt game in Indiana. I already know I need to take a hunter's ed course, but what else is there to do? I'm thinking about starting with small game, like squirrels and rabbits and stuff. Any suggestions?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    For squirrel and rabbit, shotgun is going to be easiest. When there are leaves on the trees, it is often hard to get shots at squirrels with a .22. However, I prefer to hunt late with the leaves down and shoot .22. At times, hunting shotgun can be just too easy.

I have hunted rabbit with a red dotted .22, which was a hoot. But they are fast. Shotgun works well.

I may not take much game. I see it as time in the woods, which I don't get enough of. It is an excuse to go out.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    For squirrel and rabbit, shotgun is going to be easiest. When there are leaves on the trees, it is often hard to get shots at squirrels with a .22. However, I prefer to hunt late with the leaves down and shoot .22. At times, hunting shotgun can be just too easy.

I have hunted rabbit with a red dotted .22, which was a hoot. But they are fast. Shotgun works well.

I may not take much game. I see it as time in the woods, which I don't get enough of. It is an excuse to go out.

I actually managed to land a shot on one of the many rabbits that's decided my Mother's garden is the new all-you-can eat buffet earlier this evening, and boy are you right. That suckerwas fast! I landed a hit on it but it took off before I could finish the job. Poor sucker probably bled out and died.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm in the same position. I'm going to be picking up a .22 soon and start working with it, also planning to start with small game. I've got a few buddies who do it, so hopefully I can go out and play with them this fall.

Good luck.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    You can use a .17 on squirrel and rabbit, but be forwarned; anything other than a head shot will blow all the meat right off of it.

A .22 and shotgun will work great, and I would try to stick to a number 7 or 6. Coyotes on the other hand, go ahead and feel free to use anything. .17hmr to 00buck. I use my .308 and it drops them like a sack of potatoes

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Hey all, I'm thinking of taking up hunting as a sport/hobby and I was wondering what I needed to know to legally hunt game in Indiana. I already know I need to take a hunter's ed course, but what else is there to do? I'm thinking about starting with small game, like squirrels and rabbits and stuff. Any suggestions?

I would start with a .22lr and a 20 gauge shotgun.

The .22lr is a fun plinker and I find it more fun to use to squirrel hunt with. No pellets to deal with.

The 20 gauge would give you a squirrel gun if you want and not blow the meat up as bad as a 12 gauge. You would also have your rabbit gun, crow gun, and even a starter deer gun which if you do start hunting are most likely to do one day. Pick up a short barrel and now you have a home defense gun.

My personal opinion thogh is go with a remington 870 over a mossberg. I have had both and I have had more problems with my mossbergs than my 870s. Just personal preference and my experience.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I would start with a .22lr and a 20 gauge shotgun.

The .22lr is a fun plinker and I find it more fun to use to squirrel hunt with. No pellets to deal with.

The 20 gauge would give you a squirrel gun if you want and not blow the meat up as bad as a 12 gauge. You would also have your rabbit gun, crow gun, and even a starter deer gun which if you do start hunting are most likely to do one day. Pick up a short barrel and now you have a home defense gun.

My personal opinion thogh is go with a remington 870 over a mossberg. I have had both and I have had more problems with my mossbergs than my 870s. Just personal preference and my experience.

Thanks for the advice, but I have to say that I'm a Mossberg guy when it comes to shotguns.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Squirrel hunting is a great place to start. Its probably where most people get their start hunting. You gotta be quiet and Identify sign in order to get them. I would start with a shotgun and I know most people think a squirrel will get blown to pieces by a shotgun but I shot #6 High brass game loads and never have trouble. The early part of squirrel season they are high up in trees cutting on nuts but as the season progresses into the packing stage where they are on the ground more storing nuts for the winter.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I already know I need to take a hunter's ed course, but what else is there to do?
    You will need to make some ethical decisions that all hunters face. One example is if the opportunity presents itself, would you shoot Bigfoot?

Learn anatomy of your game and shot placement for ethical kills. Anatomy is pretty much the same for all mammals, it is the angles that are different. Learn to have the control to pass up on bad shots. Ethics drives you more than the laws. Even the laws are more about ethics then the rule of law since you in essence self enforce them. Either you follow them or you don't.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    You will need to make some ethical decisions that all hunters face. One example is if the opportunity presents itself, would you shoot Bigfoot?

Learn anatomy of your game and shot placement for ethical kills. Anatomy is pretty much the same for all mammals, it is the angles that are different. Learn to have the control to pass up on bad shots. Ethics drives you more than the laws. Even the laws are more about ethics then the rule of law since you in essence self enforce them. Either you follow them or you don't.

If I'm out hunting and I see Bigfoot that suckers going down!

Top Bottom