• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    69   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    Next month I will be going deer hunting for the first time. But I do have a few questions about choosing my firearm that I will be using. I see that a lot of guys use a shotgun with slugs and I am looking at the Mossberg 535, the Remington 870, and last night I started to look at the HR Ultra Slug Shotgun. I would also consider a rifle that shoots 44 mag if I could get a decent one for around 400 dollars, maybe more expensive if I find one I really like. Any advice on those shotguns or on a decent 44 mag rifle.

Thanks for the help, I am really looking forward to my first hunting season.

Springer

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it's going to be a dedicated deer rifle, I'd say .44 mag. Look into a single shot in that price range, H&R, Rossi, etc. You'll be able to shoot the .44 alot more comfortably (recoil) and much more cheaply. More shooting = more accurate. The .44 will handle any deer in the state out to 150 yds without holdover, out to 200 with practice. At $400 you could get the rifle and a decent Nikon 2-7 to top it.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I use an H&R handi rifle in 44mag and am very pleased with it. I have a Bushnell trophy 3-9x40, nice padded sling, butt sleeve that holds 8 rounds and still have less than $400 tied up in it. You just have to learn what ammo it likes best, each one is different. Mine prefers wwb 230gr sjsp over any others.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Get a rifled 20 gauge and that would do just fine, The recoil isnt to bad at all and if you get the new style slugs like the hornaday sst's you can shoot 150-200 yards with the good scope on it

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I would suggest a modern muzzleloader. Gives you two seasons to hunt and a lot more opportunities.

I just started deer hunting a couple of years ago and took my first and so far only deer with a T/C Omega.

They are very easy to learn to use and about as accurate as you can get.

75 yards down hill with open sites, last weekend of ML season.

doepd4.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Firearms Season – Nov. 12 to Nov. 27
    Muzzleloader Season – Dec. 3 to 18

I sold my ML awhile back for a shotgun, but I'm wanting to get another.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I got the same advise when I started, nothing like giving yourself more time to hunt.

I'd also recommend you be scouting long before the season starts.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Ya a friend of mine is going to help me out with scouting. I am going to probably pick one up tomorrow, thanks for the advice Hickman.

any time. I used to live up there in Southport. Check the ads at Dick's and Gander Mountain, they put them on sale quite often.

The Walmart down in Franklin sells them too.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I was at the Walmart in Franklin yesterday. They have 5 models to choose from. The stainless CVA wolf is a nice buy at Wally world. Walmart on Emerson/Thompson rd. area on SE side also has them this year.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have used a muzzle loader almost exclusively for deer hunting the last 20some years. The only down side is rainy weather. Modern muzzle loaders will help that issue, as will a little accommodation for inclement weather. Range and accuracy is usually a bit better than what can be obtained with a shotgun.

My son uses a Rossi single shot rifle in 44 mag, and it has been very accurate, and has plenty of punch without too much recoil. Depending on your choice of muzzle loader load, the 44 may be a little more affordable to practice shooting.

Gandrews1450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Centerville, IN
    Usually a person would start with a shotgun then move to other firearms. But a muzzleloader is my suggestion. Thompson Center makes a nice one for 250 and its made in america. or you can get a scope combo for 300.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom