First time at an actual shooting range…..what to expect.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Hey All,
    I am not new to shooting but have always done it on family property not an actual range. My family has recently sold the property. So I need to find a new place to shoot.

I am thinking about heading down to Wilbur Wright soon, but I have no idea what to expect. So I have a few questions.
    I assume I will need to bring my own targets and other shooting gear.
    Do ranges have limitations on what ammo I can use ( I will be shooting a pistol)
    I have heard some people mention no holsters. What does this mean?
    Ball park range of the cost of a day at the range?
    Is there any unwritten range etiquette?
    Any other helpful advice would be awesome,

Thanks in advance
    -Zip

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I cannot comment on specifics at the WW range, I belong to a private club and its at times as casual as shooting in my backyard but....

Read or if you have to ask, check out their range rules and abide by them.

See if its slow fire only or if rapid fire is allowed.

Im sure they will use the cease fire and range clear commands, even when its just individuals and no range officers are present.

Never pick up any firearm when others are down range, they should stay unloaded, actions open and left in the appropriate position (on shooting mat, bench or in the rack).

Use your safety equipment: eyewear, earwear and stay alert.

I know these sound like common sense but at the public ranges many do not know or follow the rules and often look for examples from others.... and then others dont care.

If someone is doing something unsafe, call them out.... I do it pleasantly at first if its not something life threatening. If its immenent danger then a yell to taking the firearm out of their hands has and will take place!!! Its your life, protect it when they do not.

Ammo is range directed, but I imagine most handgun ammo is ok... usually tracers, steel core etc... are not allowed. Bring your own targets, backers, spotters, tape, staplegun etc....

Enjoy and shoot straight.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Hey All,
    I am not new to shooting but have always done it on family property not an actual range. My family has recently sold the property. So I need to find a new place to shoot.

I am thinking about heading down to Wilbur Wright soon, but I have no idea what to expect. So I have a few questions.
    I assume I will need to bring my own targets and other shooting gear.
    Do ranges have limitations on what ammo I can use ( I will be shooting a pistol)
    I have heard some people mention no holsters. What does this mean?
    Ball park range of the cost of a day at the range?
    Is there any unwritten range etiquette?
    Any other helpful advice would be awesome,

Thanks in advance
    -Zip

Best thing you could do is call ahead and ask them these questions.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Thanks for the info Lock and Load. I will admit tho that the terms Backers and Spotters are foreign to me. :dunno:

also thanks to jack and Airborne for the info and link

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Backers are larger pieces of cardboard to attach targets to and spotters are either store bought or political stickers ;) that can be used to cover the holes to reuse the targets.

Even if the range supplies backer boards, many times they are shot up and will not hold a target.... I bring more than required because its a shame and frustrating to drive to the range and not be able to set up properly.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Wilbur wright is free and you can pretty much shoot whatever you want. Just do it in the correct area. They have a spot setup for trap. (Bring your own pigeon thrower.) They have a 25 range for pistols. (I think you can shoot 22 rifles and the like, but not sure.) Last they have a 50 yard range for rifles. Anything goes. No rapid fire, and I think no .50 cals. I personally like shooting at WW. Range Masters set the tone for how strict or laid back your day may be. Usually it's pretty laid back. By that I mean no one will say anything to you if you choose to have a gun on your hip. But the other day I was there they had a volunteer range master up from attabury and he got on to someone for moving ammo while the line was cold. (Not his gun his ammo.)
    Hope this helps.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Cost of the day at the range will be pretty much determined before you go. As someone pointed out, that range doesn't charge a fee. But you will have to figure out how many rounds you are going to bring and that is your main cost.

Shooting handgun ammo adds up $$ quick. Might want to take a buddy and shoot some clay pigeons as well. Shotguns are cheaper to shoot. Also buy/make targets beforehand.

I have no idea why they would say no holsters. That makes no sense to me. You have the right to carry if you have your License. And that should certainly apply at a shooting range.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Cost of the day at the range will be pretty much determined before you go. As someone pointed out, that range doesn't charge a fee. But you will have to figure out how many rounds you are going to bring and that is your main cost.

Shooting handgun ammo adds up $$ quick. Might want to take a buddy and shoot some clay pigeons as well. Shotguns are cheaper to shoot. Also buy/make targets beforehand.

I have no idea why they would say no holsters. That makes no sense to me. You have the right to carry if you have your License. And that should certainly apply at a shooting range.

Not whether or not I agree with it, but the no gun on the hip thing is a safety thing. You're carrying a live gun and the safety concern is that someone will do something stupid with there gun and someone will get hurt. You're only supposed to have a live gun when you're at the line shoot. (and of course the gun is pointed down range.)

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Went to WW for the first time about a month ago and going again tomorrow afternoon. When we showed up, we had to fill out a pink slip of paper and keep it on us until we were done, and then had to drop it in the box before we left. There were only 2 of us from our group and 2 others that were already there. The elderly DNR man stopped by to make sure you have something scribbled on the pink slip (used the golf course pencil that was supplied and all you could read is chicken scratch) and then told us to have fun. He did mention they are no longer allowing people to use the supplied sandbags that are next to the shed (guess people weren't taking care of them) so just leave them be and bring your own. There wasn't a range officer marking the range hot or cold... you just shot and when everyone had enough we called it cold ourselves and walked down range. Just make sure you pick up your brass and you will be good to go!

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    anyone got any ideas for targets? i am shooting at the range comes friday morning and i am shooting my glock for most the time i am there but also have an open sight rifel i want to shoot. i want to improve my accuracy with cheap targets hope to be home made stuff easy to make?

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    if you do post anything about target PM me or visitor post me cause i am off to bed now and not going to remember to check this post thanks.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    anyone got any ideas for targets? i am shooting at the range comes friday morning and i am shooting my glock for most the time i am there but also have an open sight rifel i want to shoot. i want to improve my accuracy with cheap targets hope to be home made stuff easy to make?

Paper plates and duck tape are cheap and last and last. The bright white also helps see your shot placement. Bowling pins are just a blast to shoot - especially with a rifle

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    x2 on the paper plates. I keep a bunch in the range bag. For more of a challenge, I use a red Sharpie to trace a circle using the inside of the duck tape role. Hang 3 or 4 plates on the target stand, so you don't have to swap out too often. I also mark the top of the plate, so I can check shot placement after pulling the plates down.

BTW: Walmart has those high-visibility targets - 12 for $5. The ones that show green/yellow/red for hits. My wife likes those.

IndySKS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    LaPorte
    ask around to others there. i went a day ahead of time and talked with the range manager and others shooting there. people were cool and got an idea what to expect

Trevorreplys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Paper plates and duck tape are cheap and last and last. The bright white also helps see your shot placement. Bowling pins are just a blast to shoot - especially with a rifle
    Post it notes, They have neon colored post it notes that are a dollar per one hundred I think. They work nicely
    -And to answer your "Is there any unwritten range etiquette?" question. You can always ask the person operating the range. Most people that own or work at ranges love seeing people getting into the sport of shooting (atleast from my experience)
    Also.. Don't have your gun loaded when not shooting. And keep a eye on your gun barrel. When people walk passed me at the range I hate when there barrel is pointed right at me.
    Have fun!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Sharpie, ruler, paper, clothes pins, paper tape, real estate or political sign.

Top Bottom