• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    Went to the range today to try out my new (slightly used) g30 had a little trouble with the trigger pull, but I'll have to get use to it. Ordered a 3.5 pound trigger. Very easy gun to carry.

Thanks again paddle_man :draw:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Excellent!! I'm glad you like it! With the octagonal rifling, lots of folks feel like the .45s are the most naturally accurate of the group from Glock. True or not, I'm glad you like it!

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Yeah, but cops generally have 8 pound triggers put on. Putting a lighter trigger on is why I believe he warned against it.

Do they have 8 lb triggers on their personal carry gun so it more closely matches the characteristics of their departmental issued Glock.

I believe the departmental guns, when ordered as LEO guns, are "LEO" packages coming factory with a 8 lb trigger.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    I'm no legal expert but if you are going to carry the gun you might want to keep the trigger stock!

Not this again! First, a 3.5 lb. connector in a Glock pistol does not make the pistol "not stock." Glock makes the 3.5lb connectors and in fact, some Glocks come with them from the factory (G34 and G35). Moreover, simply reducing the amount of resistance required to cause the pistol to fire does not make the pistol less safe. Remember the four rules?

I have heard all the arguments against the 3.5 lb connector. Some argue that an overzealous prosecutor will use the fact that you installed the 3.5 lb connector against you or that the same will happen in a civil suit brought by the person you shot or his/her family. Honestly, I don't see such arguments being raised at all and, even if raised, they are easy to defeat. For example, the 3.5 lb connector allows me to shoot the pistol more accurately and thus, makes it safer because I am less likely to miss my intended target (the bad actor in a rightous shooting) and hit an inoccent bystander).

All my Glocks, including and perhaps especially the ones I carry most often, have 3.5 lb Glock connectors and gently polished internals. They have smooth actions and I am more accurate with them in their current conditions that when they were new and unmodified. I sleep well at night and have zero concern that the 3.5 lb connector will put me in a weaker position if I ever have to use one of my Glocks defensively.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Do they have 8 lb triggers on their personal carry gun so it more closely matches the characteristics of their departmental issued Glock.

I believe the departmental guns, when ordered as LEO guns, are "LEO" packages coming factory with a 8 lb trigger.

A department that is purchasing multiple Glocks for its officers can probably requiest any trigger confirguration it wants. Thus it can have 3.5, 5 or 8 lb connectors and either of the NY springs or the standard spring. However, those Glocks sold by retail establishments to persons who are licensesd LEO do not come with 8lb connectors. I have seen several of these guns (the ones that come with 3 magazines) purchased by LEO friends of mine and each one had the standard 5lb connector and did not have a NY spring.

Each department will set the requirements (or have no requirements) for its officers' Glock confirgurations. I worked for a department in TX many years ago that issued the Glock 22. They required all Glocks to have the 5 lb connector and the NY1 spring. However, that does not mean any other P.D. would have the same requirement.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    TurkeyKiller, do whatever you need to do to your handgun to make it an effective self-defense weapon. If a lighter, crisper trigger does that for you, then go ahead. There is no case on record in which a prosecutor used the "Sure, it was a justifiable homicide, but he modified the weapon because he wanted to kill people" attack. It'd be like a cop who pulled you over for driving your car saying, "sure, you're driving legally, but your tires are not stock and they're rated for 170 mph. You wanted to speed, so here's a ticket."
    If you can carry a glock with a 3.5 lb trigger more confidently than one with a 5 lb, then that's your choice. It's an entirely legal modification.

Note: this does not include having "Born to Kill" engraved on the slide. I do not recommend you make any illegal mods to your weapon either (such as a full auto conversion).

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    jmb - Thanks for that response. That makes a bit more sense. I thought the 8# was sort of standard practice for LEOs and Glock. It is only logical that a department would spec the firearms they want in the order.

turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    Not this again! First, a 3.5 lb. connector in a Glock pistol does not make the pistol "not stock." Glock makes the 3.5lb connectors and in fact, some Glocks come with them from the factory (G34 and G35). Moreover, simply reducing the amount of resistance required to cause the pistol to fire does not make the pistol less safe. Remember the four rules?

I have heard all the arguments against the 3.5 lb connector. Some argue that an overzealous prosecutor will use the fact that you installed the 3.5 lb connector against you or that the same will happen in a civil suit brought by the person you shot or his/her family. Honestly, I don't see such arguments being raised at all and, even if raised, they are easy to defeat. For example, the 3.5 lb connector allows me to shoot the pistol more accurately and thus, makes it safer because I am less likely to miss my intended target (the bad actor in a rightous shooting) and hit an inoccent bystander).

All my Glocks, including and perhaps especially the ones I carry most often, have 3.5 lb Glock connectors and gently polished internals. They have smooth actions and I am more accurate with them in their current conditions that when they were new and unmodified. I sleep well at night and have zero concern that the 3.5 lb connector will put me in a weaker position if I ever have to use one of my Glocks defensively.

Thanks for the info I was going with the 3.5 connector anyway its already ordered, but that makes me more confident in my decision. :thumbsup:

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    The only reason I like leaving the trigger stock is just because if you ever do draw the weapon in a self defense scenario, you don't want to accidently discharge the gun before it's on target (during the draw). I just think that under high stress you probably will want the somewhat heavier trigger pull of the original factory one. Just my opinion though, if you train and practice with the 3.5 lb you may not have any issues.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    The only reason I like leaving the trigger stock is just because if you ever do draw the weapon in a self defense scenario, you don't want to accidently discharge the gun before it's on target (during the draw). I just think that under high stress you probably will want the somewhat heavier trigger pull of the original factory one. Just my opinion though, if you train and practice with the 3.5 lb you may not have any issues.

Again... if you follow the four rules, you will not have an negligent discharge. A Glock with 3.5lb. connector does not provide a 3.5lb. trigger pull. It's closer to 4.5lb. The standard trigger pull for a 1911 that will be used as a carry weapon or a duty weapon is 4lbs.

Thus, a Glock with a 3.5lb. not have that light of a trigger pull when compared to 1911s or the single action pulls on traditional double/single pistols like the Beretta 92FS. Furthermore, proper adherence to the four rules negates the negligent discharge argument. If you can't follow the four rules, you have no business carrying or owning firearms in the first place.

turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    I guess my theory is in a self defense scenario I what to be able to put the bullet exactly where I'm aiming. If it takes a 3.5 lbs. trigger to do that than I'm going home safe.:cheers:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    In a SHTF situation I doubt you would be able to notice a bit of difference to be honest with you.

I guess my theory is in a self defense scenario I what to be able to put the bullet exactly where I'm aiming. If it takes a 3.5 lbs. trigger to do that than I'm going home safe.:cheers:

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have a Ghost connector with over travel stop in my Glock, but Fenway is right. I wont hunt for the test info, but the average person in a bad situation pulls the trigger in the double digits.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom