First Rifle Thoughts (Mega Indecisive NooB)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'm a fan of the Olyimpic Arms logo and I've always had a huge spot in my heart for the raw dependability of the AK platform. So I have to ask, are Olyimpic Arms carbines dependable, reliable, and made of quality parts? Also what AK manufacturers are note worthy, obviously a WASR10 is a dream price but seems from what I've read that it's a slag rifle. I've heard Arsenal is a dream but at $1200 I might as well get an AR or save up for a SCAR or ACR (crosses fingers) with so many different manufacturers of AK's it's to daunting for me to tackle this question solo. :n00b:

Red Jacket
    WASR
    Arsenal
    Polish
    Bulgarian
    Hungarian etc...

Colt
    Olyimpic Arms
    Armalite etc...

SMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    What I'm looking for is fun, price, accuracy, dependability, and quality =/ asking quite a bit, but I knew there would be a lot of you guys on here that could point me in the right direction. :patriot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I have to ask, are Olyimpic Arms carbines dependable, reliable, and made of quality parts?

IMO, no.

For dependability, reliability, and quality I tend to give the nod to Noveske, Spike's Tactical, Daniel Defense, BCM, or Colt.

I have no idea about the AK questions.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    WASR-10's are the typical bottom of the barrel; its all that I have experience with at this point. However, it IS an AK; its a weapon that is supposed to be made from scrap metal, with very high tolerances. Even a crappy one tends to run like a beast with pretty much any ammo you can throw at it.

Doesn't mean the more expensive ones aren't worth it; just that, if you're on a budget and want an AK, there is no reason to shy away from the WASR's.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok LAST reply, I'll have a few hundred dollars in the near future, should I go for a CCW OR put it in the AR15 fund?

Wow you ARE indecisive. :D

First put your money toward whichever you are more likely to use. I'm going to go ahead and guess that means a pistol. ;)

SMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    lol yes SUPER my girlfriend is about ready to kill me because I crunch numbers on these things with her (she doesn't really care lol.) Else I can find a WASR that isn't a risk to shoot (I'd really rather not waste my money if the gas is cracked or cantid anything.) Colt would probably be the way I'd go I mean how much more American can you get, I'm not a huge fan of the bells and whistles but I would love an Eotech at some point.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I really like my Olympic K-23, granted the fit & finish isn't as good as my more expensive AR's but it has been just as accurate & reliable, even with el'cheapo dirty & underpowered steel cased Wolf ammunition it runs just fine.

DSC05499.jpg

As far as AK's vs AR's go, well I have owned/shot both regularly for decades & while I personally prefer the ergonomics & accuracy of my AR's, my AK's are still a lot of fun.

stroyed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Andersonville,IN
    Think about what you will do with it mostly. Are you going to mostly shoot 2.5 " inch groups in a paper target at the range with precision? Or are you more the type to load and empty clips into something a little bigger. My personal favorite is blowing up things like plywood, junk cars, dead trees. An AK is a real destroyer.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I recently purchased a WASR and went last weekend and put 120 cheap rounds through it. It was awesome. Looking forward to more fun with it this weekend. If you want a inexpensive AK that would be my suggestion.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My head is spinning. I read this like 4 times. What do you want to do? Is the choice you are trying to make between an AK, AR, or a pistol? And then broken down between best to worst for each one?

Buy a S&W K frame with a 4 inch barrel for a hand gun.

Buy an AR15. They all work just fine with good mags

I don't know about AK's. I have been told that they all work too.

Maybe this won't help at all, but you have to admit that your question is kinda vague.

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    What I'm looking for is fun, price, accuracy, dependability, and quality =/ asking quite a bit, but I knew there would be a lot of you guys on here that could point me in the right direction. :patriot:
    A WASR sounds like it would fit your bill. Though they have a rough finish to them, they are ruggedly built, and barring some sort of mechanical problem, will always fire. Plus, the rifles and ammo are fairly cheap too.

My only other advice would be to buy it in person and look the thing over; my WASR 10/63 was missing it's firing pin (:dunno:), so I had to buy one for 10 bucks.

SMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Sorry about the confusion, I'm mainly just looking for an AR now. I'm leaning towards Olyimpic Arms as the carbine I want is $949. The WASRs seem to have problems but it also seems to be a gun you can let get beat up and not feel like a terrible parent. I'm willing to take those risks I just don't like that they don't have the mag "dimple" so they have to use 10 round magazines, right?

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    The WASRs seem to have problems but it also seems to be a gun you can let get beat up and not feel like a terrible parent. I'm willing to take those risks I just don't like that they don't have the mag "dimple" so they have to use 10 round magazines, right?
    From what I've read, earlier WASRs had problems, but recent ones, not so much. So long as you know what to watch out for, it won't be a problem.

As for the dimple, I'm pretty sure those are welled out to accept regular magazines. Mine came with two 30-rounders, and work fine.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Depending on what your requirements for it are (if you can deal with no FA and no dust cover), you could look into an S&W M&P Sport. I picked up one earlier this year as my first AR and have been very pleased.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Wasr's get a bad rap, some things sound legit, mine is fine. The no mag dimple isn't a deal breaker, my wasr has noticably more mag wobble than my mak90 and NoDak receiver home builds, but I attribute that to be a bigger magazine hole, not as much the lack of a dimple, could be wrong though. My fav ak is a yugo of any kind, if you can find one for just a little more than a wasr id go that route. You probably CAN'T go wrong! Good luck!

matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    Here's what I did....
    1) I found the right defensive handgun and learned to shoot it very well.

2) Bought an AR and built it to my preference. Used what I learned from shooting handguns; ie. trigger pull, breathing, stance, etc. This became my defensive rifle.

3) Bought an AK and many more to make my fun guns.

So I bought one for my hip, then my back, and finally my heart. Hope that is good advice for your situation

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    that sounds like good good advice.what I do is keep is list of things I want and be patient and look for deal seems to work well. if someone needed an entry level ar i saw mp15 sport flat top slick side car stock for 689 with $100 mail in rebate probably tough to beat that

SMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I like your thought process 4shadow. That's the route I'm going to go. I'm in the local Police Academy so I'm going to wait on the hand gun, I already have a Springfield 1911 GI series, I'll most likely get an Olyimpic Arms A3 Patrol (unless the finish sucks) then a Colt. THEN a Sigia? Sagia? AK I saw Sturmgewehre's current Russian model on YouTube and it got my attention, though I would love the a 47 as apposed to a 74.

Top Bottom