• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papa Tiki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    NE Indiana
    Thinking of picking up a Crossbreed holster for an FNH FNS 9 compact. Any input on the comfort and quality of these holsters or any other suggestions. When ordering they have some options on cut, leather type and belt clips. Wondering if the cost matches the comfort.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just do it. Im getting ready to order Supertuck #3. Yes, they are pricey. But you get what you pay for. Ive tried comp tac (not that comfy) and aliengear (bad experience). Both made me go running back to Crossbreed.

I personally opt for the combat cut. I have tried both (thanks to a member who sent me a combat cut pattern to convert mine myself) and although they say its not as comfy, I really dont notice much of a difference after cutting it except for how much better I get the initial grip before I draw instead of drawing and having to re-position.

Follow their lead on everything else... the site does a good job of explaining each of the options if you hover over the info circles it will explain each option nicely.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have a supertuck in horse hide and it's very nice. I however, never use it... I changed where I carry and can't use a crossbreed. I am more into kydex rather than hybrid.

However if that's the way you want to go and it's what works for you, crossbreed is a quality choice.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    White Hat holsters seemed to be a superior holster if you are set on a hybrid type.

Personally, they don't work for me. I use a JM Kydex type 2 IWB.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thinking of picking up a Crossbreed holster for an FNH FNS 9 compact. Any input on the comfort and quality of these holsters or any other suggestions. When ordering they have some options on cut, leather type and belt clips. Wondering if the cost matches the comfort.

What are your intended purposes for your holster?

gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Dear Papatiki I know you are a holster newbie and crossbreed would be an excellent choice but you may want to consider all options. The holster your looking at is a hybrid holster. That is simply one style of IWB holster you can choose from. A full Kydex holster for example may not be as comfortable but would make it easier for drawing your weapon and re-holstering with 1 hand. It holds it's form perfectly. A full leather holster might be another option to consider. The hybrid holster you're considering has a disadvantage of being wider holster on your belt. There are even nylon holsters to consider, those seem to be the cheapest option.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Dear Papatiki I know you are a holster newbie and crossbreed would be an excellent choice but you may want to consider all options. The holster your looking at is a hybrid holster. That is simply one style of IWB holster you can choose from. A full Kydex holster for example may not be as comfortable but would make it easier for drawing your weapon and re-holstering with 1 hand. It holds it's form perfectly. A full leather holster might be another option to consider. The hybrid holster you're considering has a disadvantage of being wider holster on your belt. There are even nylon holsters to consider, those seem to be the cheapest option.

I'm not sure how the Kydex alone would be much easier to reholster, unless it was OWB. I use an IWB hybrid and have no issues drawing/reholstering with one hand, and doing so on the range/during a class, etc. I carry with mine in the 5 - 5:30 position.

And I'd stay away from the nylon. Generally poor retention and floppy.

A good hybrid can be a great choice for someone just starting out depending on intended purpose.

Also, a good belt makes all the difference. I have a Daltech Force Biobelt and it makes a huge difference (do some searches on the forum for Biobelt, you will find they are well regarded). I'm using a Galco King Tuk hybrid but have used a borrowed Super Tuk when traveling before and had no issues with it at all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not sure how the Kydex alone would be much easier to reholster, unless it was OWB. I use an IWB hybrid and have no issues drawing/reholstering with one hand, and doing so on the range/during a class, etc. I carry with mine in the 5 - 5:30 position.

And I'd stay away from the nylon. Generally poor retention and floppy.

A good hybrid can be a great choice for someone just starting out depending on intended purpose.

Also, a good belt makes all the difference. I have a Daltech Force Biobelt and it makes a huge difference (do some searches on the forum for Biobelt, you will find they are well regarded). I'm using a Galco King Tuk hybrid but have used a borrowed Super Tuk when traveling before and had no issues with it at all.

+11!!! Floppy nylon holsters are evil. The only proper use for a floppy nylon holster is for an obscure gun that a custom fit holster just isnt made for, and preferably ONLY for range use.

Friends dont let friends buy nylon holsters.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I'm a big fan of Crossbreed Supertuck. I like mine with the "combat cut" and made of horsehide. I took me about 3 years of nearly everyday carry before I decided that the standard cow leather M&P Supertuck had become "floppy" enough that I was concerned about possible (though highly unlikely) trigger fouling on re-holstering. That's a lot of time and sweat. Highly recommended.

Papa Tiki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    NE Indiana
    Thanks for the replies so far. I will be carrying IWB 5:30 position. Seems like a hybrid may be the way to go first then. That biobelt looks great too!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I just got done testing a hybrid IWB for a couple of weeks (Alien Gear). Drawing there is no difference (other than the angle), but I found reholstering to be significantly more challenging with the hybrid than with a rigid, all kydex IWB holster. It was comfy though.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If you carry at 5:30, you'll have a sharp metal clip digging into your couch or car seat every time you sit down.

Unless you choose one of the non standard clips.

I think, but am not certain, the J hooks are less damaging.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Why do people get so caught up in the need for one hand reholstering? If the situation was bad enough to pull the weapon what is the big rush to put the gun away?

MTAC is my favorite ISWB holster.

I don't know why you would carry at 5:30, 4:30 hides the weapon while still being able to get a good hold of it as well as not putting it behind your back when seated.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Why do people get so caught up in the need for one hand reholstering? If the situation was bad enough to pull the weapon what is the big rush to put the gun away?

Training, in that you can get many more repetitions in a given amount of time. It's also been my experience that an IWB holster that's easier to re-holster is usually safer as well. YMMV.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you carry at 5:30, you'll have a sharp metal clip digging into your couch or car seat every time you sit down.

Unless you choose one of the non standard clips.

I think, but am not certain, the J hooks are less damaging.

Never had any issues... and I drive like that all the time, and have driven comfortably straight through to FL from IN, with IWB hybrid and Glock 26 in that position many times, with no seat wear, etc.

... I don't know why you would carry at 5:30, 4:30 hides the weapon while still being able to get a good hold of it as well as not putting it behind your back when seated.

Personal preference for comfort. Yes, it puts the pistol further back than 4:30, but fits body type better. If I slim down a bit, I'd move it further up. At 4:30 my seatbelt would likely be in the way to some extent anyway, so not much difference for me on accessibility while driving.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I just got done testing a hybrid IWB for a couple of weeks (Alien Gear). Drawing there is no difference (other than the angle), but I found reholstering to be significantly more challenging with the hybrid than with a rigid, all kydex IWB holster. It was comfy though.

I have carried an Alien Gear for 2 years now, and have basically a similar experience. Very comfortable, have done everything from work in the yard all day, work underneath the truck, drive long distance without any retention issues. Depending in the fit of the pants, it is sometimes uncomfortable driving, but usually not. It has held up well as well. I too have noticed an issue from time to time with ease of reholstering, usually when I wear the holster farther back. 5 o'clock carry is a bit more comfortable, but 4 o'clock is faster and bolstering is easier. Of course, the body type and needs of the individual shooter will dictate everything.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I am a HUGE fan of Milt Sparks. The VM2 is what I have for my 1911 and I have a XDM getting made now. You will wait since they run about 10-16 weeks out but worth it. Avg price around $130 so not too bad. I have a Crossbread and whether I'm just a dumbass of what I could never get it on in less then 10 mins. These milt sparks are 100% leather and conceal well, in and off in about 30 secs.

Top Bottom