• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    A buddy and I are heading down to Texas in August to hunt wild boar. I've read about what to use, 30-30, .308, .270... :biggun:I am thinking of using a 12 or 20 gauge slug. Or is that just not a good idea?? :patriot:

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I have friends in Texas that only hunt with semi auto rifles so they can kill as many as possible. Other guys like stalk hunting with a lightweight bolt action.

What kind of hunting do you plan to do? How many hogs are you going to kill?

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the options you posted above.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Is a 120 gr 25-06 good enough then? Ive got one im very good with but someone told me thats too light for hogs.

I know the importance of placement.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    where are you guys going to hunt? I have been thinking about going somewhere to hunt hogs but havnt really found a place yet. I find it kind of off that hogs are a nuisance animal yet some places want to charge a TON of money to hunt them. Seems like its almost backwards of how it should be. Seems like it should be cheaper to hunt and animal that you dont want around at all.

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    where are you guys going to hunt? I have been thinking about going somewhere to hunt hogs but havnt really found a place yet. I find it kind of off that hogs are a nuisance animal yet some places want to charge a TON of money to hunt them. Seems like its almost backwards of how it should be. Seems like it should be cheaper to hunt and animal that you dont want around at all.

I totally agree. We are going to a couple national forests. Davy Crockett NF and Angelina NF. I hear there's hogs aplenty. Your only required to get a license if its government property. The ranches down there have guided tours and certain guns your forced to use. I prefer to just buy the licence and do our own thing. Even if it means to purchase a permit. Or we could use the, "It Attacked Me" excuse. :draw:

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    I think the average hog is given a little too much credit as far as beign bullet resistant goes. I shot a nice hog (about 175 lbs) with a recurve bow, got complete penetration. Any rifle that works for deer will work on hogs. I would pick a bullet designed for controlled expansion.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I totally agree. We are going to a couple national forests. Davy Crockett NF and Angelina NF. I hear there's hogs aplenty. Your only required to get a license if its government property. The ranches down there have guided tours and certain guns your forced to use. I prefer to just buy the licence and do our own thing. Even if it means to purchase a permit. Or we could use the, "It Attacked Me" excuse. :draw:

Do me a favor and let me know how it goes for you because i have a couple friends that want to go on a hog hunt (and well as me) and i just find it kind of funny people want to charge quite a bit for something that they want gone so bad. If its possible to do what you guys are planning i will just go that way. Keep me posted!

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I took a hog with a 30-30 and he pretty much just dropped. On the other hand, that same day my dad was using a 44mag Marlin and put 6 or 7 well placed shots straight through a big hog (in one side and out the other) before he even thought about going down. Based on my very limited experience I will disagree with UncleNorby... I think for hogs bullet expansion is important.

Last edited:

daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've hunted hogs with a spear before with my Grandpa. He would go rustle some up over a hill and send them my way. I had to find a point where only one could get to me at a time and stick the butt end in the dirt. They run themselves down the spear. Try not to miss the heart. Had one get halfway down the shaft once and almost gored my arm because I missed the heart.

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    Need I say more???
    hogzilla-JamesonStone.jpg

Top Bottom