• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iNDy-Josh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Hi everyone, first post here. So here's my dilemma.

I am looking to buy my first pistol, hold on hold on, no this is not a typical thread asking what's the best pistol or asking what I should buy or any of that lol. I already have made up my mind on two but can only afford one at the time.

Alright so I want a kel-tec 9mm for conceal-carry (will be getting the paperwork and everything of course) and I want a FNP-9 as a full-size home defense/range gun. I don't know which to get first though.

The conceal-carry is more practical as I will actually be carrying it day to day and it would be my self-defense in the unfortunate event it was needed. However, it is not really a range gun for its poor accuracy (understandable for size) and recoil. As I am not very experienced with guns I know it's important to hit the range often and get in as much practice as I can but I don't see it happening too much with this gun.

My other choice is to get the FNP-9 first, take it to the range for the next few months, practice with a full-size accurate gun and then get my cc gun later when I can afford it. I guess I just feel dumb buying and owning a gun while in the event I need to use it I won't have it on me...
    ____
    I know this is very much a question of my own preference but thought maybe some of you might have some advice. Perhaps if you own the kel-tec pf-9 and feel its not too terrible for range practice or if you feel very strongly about me getting a good range gun first before owning a cc gun.

Just interested in hearing your opinions. Thanks and hope to join in some discussions around here in the future.

(also if you are really for or against either guns or would like to suggest other options I am very inviting toward this advice!)

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The Fn's are underrated guns they are nice piece's, Before you go spend money How bout you come down to hhrp on Aug 20 and try several of the guns that people have, I think that there will be one of everything for you to take a look at.

Your thoughts of practicing is one of the best idea's you've had for sure, A gun that will be easy on you at the range IMHO should be the first gun. Finding a Rimfire handgun will get you more range time for the buck and everything learned will transfer.

But to Flat straight up answer your question. I think the FN9 would be the first gun. It takes a lot of rounds to build up skill, and trying to build skill with a "pocket gun" will not help your form and accuracy as fast as a full sized gun.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Come on out to Wilbur wright tomorrow. There will be around 10-12 of us Ingoers out there. It's free to go, you get to meet a bunch of folks, and while I can't speak for everyone, I'm sure most will let you try out whatever they've brought. Might give you a idea of your question.
    My two cents worth, I've have the Kel-Tec and while I would trust my life to it, and even felt like I had decent accuracy with it, it was pain to practice with. Not a fun gun to shoot. But it sounds like you already know that.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Welcome to INGO, me I would get the CC gun first as it serves two of your three roles, carry and home defense. Practice with it so you become proficient with it until you can get your range/fun gun. Good luck to you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    First, welcome to INGO! :ingo:

Second, welcome to the world of handguns, the 2nd Amendment, and actually carrying a gun.

As I am not very experienced with guns I know it's important to hit the range often and get in as much practice as I can but I don't see it happening too much with this gun.

While it is indeed very important to practice, what, as a newbie, are you going to be practicing? Practice is to be done after you've learned something.

How do you learn to shoot a handgun properly? TRAINING!

Where do you go to get quality training? Check out Tactics and Training - INGunOwners for training classes offered in your area. If you're in Indy, I'd HIGHLY recommend taking "Intro to Defensive Pistol", which is offered by Boone County Sheriff Ken Campbell. Check this link, shoot him an email and get on his training email list. ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tro_to_defensive_pistol_class.html#post273262 )

I'd also recommend the guys at ACT in the Terre Haute area. They provide excellent classes for the money. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...sses_-_21_22_march_2009_-_terre_haute_in.html You can PM "Coach" for more details.

So, to answer your direct question, I would recommend the FNP-9 as your first handgun. As a full-size service pistol, this will be the gun you take to your training classes to get familiar with defensive handgunning. Then, if you choose to at a later time, you can get the PF9 for more discreet carry. All the skills you then have will transfer over, however the smaller pistols tend to require more attention to reach the same level of marksmanship.

Good luck! :ingo:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Welcome. If you're looking for opinions, you'll find very few members unwilling to share them.;)

If you can get to a range that has rentals, it's a good way to try out different makes & models. I know that PopGuns has a fair selection.

But as esrice said. Practice, practice, practice

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    1st: get your license to carry a handgun. (at least get the paperwork in. it may take 8-10 weeks toget it back.)
    2nd: buy the handgun.

of your two choices, I'd get the FN first, and a good holster. It'll be your best bet for practice, as noted above. nothing wrong with concealing a full size 9mm. Lots of us conceal handguns that big or bigger. You could also consider open carry as well, if you are comfortable with that (still get the license first).

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    Not sure if you have your LTCP yet but I would go with the PF9 first because:
    • You can get one cheap for like $250-300
    • You get a full size handgun size round
    • It's easy to conceal
    • You won't be too worried about keeping it looking pretty just functioning
    • It's an easy gun to use with not a lot of safeties and gagets
    You probably already know all this but I just want to empasize how a practical gun should be your first gun. Especially if you won't be heading to the range frequently to start practicing on a regular basis.

It'll be your best bet for practice, as noted above. nothing wrong with concealing a full size 9mm. Lots of us conceal handguns that big or bigger. You could also consider open carry as well, if you are comfortable with that

Although like cc21302 mentioned you can conceal carry a full size as well...it is just a little harder and not as comfortable IMO.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would go with the FN first, all do ket tech has a good report overall I would same my money and buy something better build, you need to ask yourself how much is your life worth?. I currently carry a Kahr CW9 and is not a whoke lot more than kel tech in my opinion is much better build just my :twocents:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    If you want my opinion, get the concealed carry gun as your first. Have you shot both guns yet? Try to do so, if you have the opportunity. If not, at least try to find a place where you an dry fire the FNP-9. Some people loathe their squishy triggers. Some seem to get pistols with gritty pistols. Some don't complain at all about the gun. I can't remember if they have frame locks on them or not but I try to stay away from guns that have internal key mechanisms that prevent the gun from firing.

I think you won't be disappointed with whatever quality pistol you end up purchasing, but I would recommend getting the pistol you plan on carrying first. Why? You'll have it longer, practice with it more and when you do finally get your LTCH permit, you'll be more experienced with the carry gun.

iNDy-Josh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Thanks everyone, I've got to admit, all your opinions have been very helpful. This is definitely a forum full of knowledgeable people (I heard they existed). It seems like there is a pretty balanced base of advice for both sides of this topic.

I appreciate the invites from X10 and Archbishop. As for tomorrow I can't come, super busy, wish I could. I'm guessing saturday is the day most of you go to shoot at wilbur wright? If so I will make sure to stop by sometime soon. And for Aug 20th, that's the Blink 182 concert at Verizon :) so I can't miss that.

Esrice, thanks for the links and advice. I will send Ken Campbell an email this week and see about getting signed up for that class since I live here in Indy. If I don't purchase a handgun before the class will one be provided?

I think I am going to go with the FNP-9 first to get adjusted to firearms, put a lot of shots down range, get consistency in my form, and in the meantime of saving for the PF-9 have the paperwork for everything going through the system. (Thanks to cce1302 for reminding me of the slowness of bureaucracy, would be stupid to have a gun for CC and not be able to carry it for 2 months until the paperwork gets through)

I'm not going to purchase anything until after the 1500 gun show at the end of the month (because who knows what kind of a deal I could get there and be kicking myself if I had no money for it), so maybe if I get a good deal on a used kel-tec or something I could get both. I have my fingers crossed.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Esrice, thanks for the links and advice. I will send Ken Campbell an email this week and see about getting signed up for that class since I live here in Indy. If I don't purchase a handgun before the class will one be provided?

You could probably request a loaner at an ACT class, but I'm not sure about Campbell's class. You'd be more than welcome to use my Glock 19 for any class if you took it before purchasing your own. I'm in Indy near I65/County Line Rd.

If you come to the 1500 be sure to stop by the INGO table and introduce yourself.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    FNP 9

Its not a huge gun lots of safety 16 rounds night sights decocker reliable gun and a good feel. As Far as accuracy its the same as shooting any gun Josh. SIGHT PIC, GRIP, TRIGGER, thats it. Why a lot of people are shooting 22lr pistols to save money not that its easier. Call ill give you a good deal and not steer you wrong Jimmy
    Father and Sons Firearms
    765 647 5200

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    CC gun first. I have a Kel-Tec PF-9 and keep it in my front pocket everywhere I go.

Occasionally I'll use the belt clip when wearing shorts.

iNDy-Josh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Well I'm glad to hear very positive things about both guns I have picked, at least I can't go wrong with either choice. One of the reason's I picked the fn is because of its ambidextrous design, me being left-handed and all, feels real nice in my hand. I haven't fired either gun but have held them. I of course won't buy either before testing them so hopefully that won't turn out to be a deal killer. Seems to be more of a concern for the pf.

I will definitely stop by and introduce myself at the 1500, I'm planning on going Friday before most people get off work.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/esrice.htmlesrice, I really appreciate your offer to use your gun for any upcoming pistol class I will let you know if I end up needing to do so. I haven't gotten a reply from Officer Campbell yet, I'll give it another try since that class is coming up fast.

Father and Sons Firearms, when I am ready to start shopping I will be sure to give you a call.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My advice would be to get the full sized gun and learn to carry it, whether you choose to conceal carry, open carry, or do as I usually do and go somewhere in between.

It is more difficult to carry a full sized gun, but they are easier to hit with, and IMHO are a better choice as an only "all around" gun. They are much easier to shoot well, usually offer more rounds, and are more fun to practice with, which means you are more likely to do so. You can save up and buy the smaller gun later.

I currently carry a full sized 1911, in the past I've carried Beretta 92FS', Taurus PT99s and PT92s, S&W Model 15s, 19s, 66s, Ruger GP100s, etc. It's more work to conceal them, you may have to modify your wardrobe a bit, but it can be done.

That said, if you know that you absolutely will not carry the FNP, perhaps the Keltec is the way to go. A gun sitting at home isn't much use when you are out and about.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom