• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hey guys i've been browsing these forums for a few weeks now, and decided to post. I'm close to getting my first handgun after being around guns all of my life hunting..shooting..etc..., I feel like now is the time for a handgun to plink around with as well as carry on occasion. I'm also looking for something relatively cheap ( I do not want a "cheap", junk gun).. just something that won't set me back a couple grand..

Right now.. i'm not completely sure on what I want..

I'm kind of looking for suggestions on what you all think a good first gun would be to own and both practice/ carry on occasion...
    As I wait for my lifetime permit to go through (who knows when that will be... ha!)

Thanks in advance!:yesway:

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Welcome to your new addiction. Lol. I'd suggest something in 9mm. Ammo is cheaper and under normal circumstances readily available. I love my glock 19 but I'd suggest going to a range and renting a few different ones to see what you like. You can get into a nice 1911 for under a thousand but the ammo is a lot higher. Good luck with whatever you choose!!

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Glock 17, 19, or 26. (Probably get pinky extensions for the 26.)

If you buy either of those firearms and change your mind about them (I don't know why anyone would), you can pretty easily find someone else to buy them from you.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    :welcome:Welcome to INGO :ingo:

Great first question, which you will discover soon enough. Reading here on INGO you will find your answer. I love my S&W bodyguard, and the S&W Shield. Consider how you will carry your firearm, that will determine what to get. Pocket carry, a small .380 is so easy. Inside the Waist Band, or Outside the waste band, you will find great comfort. All of these are debated, go with what fits your personality.

jchuff87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Overall, if you just want something to plink w/ get a .22 though you said you also wanted to carry. If you go the Glock route, get a Gen 3 19 or 26, because in my opinion the 17 is too big to carry. There are many other Glocks but I would stick with the 9mms if you don't want to pay a bunch for ammo. That being said if you don't want an auto handgun, there are plenty of revolvers in the 400-600 range that are good too, though the price of ammo will be higher since I can't think of a good 9mm revolver off the top of my head.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm a CZ and Sig fan. P228 Sig is a great carry gun. What you choose should depend on how the gun fits your hand and how and where you intend to carry as well as your percieved needs as to caliber.

My SIL loves her M&P compact 9mm. Easy to carry and easy to make left handed besides feeling right at home in her hand. Fits her criteria. Yours may be different.:dunno:

MillenniumC5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Wayne County
    For plinking I use a Walther P22, shoot 22lr all day for $20. It's actually become one of my favorite guns. For protection and plinking maybe a 1911 45 ACP along with a 22lr conversion kit?

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I personally had the same issue about 2 years ago. I started out with an ATI CS9 and a S&W Sigma 40. I highly disliked to Sigma but i fell in love with the ATI. Look around at you LGS and handle as many as you like. Try different size guns in your hand. If your friends have any pistols, ask to shoot them! Your friends can help you in that aspect. Like wise if there is a LGS that has an indoor range near you, ask them if they have any handguns you can rent. Also pay attention to how much ammo costs. Depending on your budget different guns may end up costing more! As far as brands, try to stick with a better known brand for your first gun. Espically if its your carry weapon. Dependability is a huge, HUGE factor when it comes to personal protection. Popular guns usually cost less because there are more available. Glock, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, CZ, Bersa, Taurus, Sig Saur, Browning, Ruger, Beretta, H&K. Those are just a few brands of the 'better' guns. Always look around and handle them as much as possible! Even better if you can shoot them!

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    It also depends on what size you are looking for and how you want to carry. For an OC/ range gun, I would reccomend either a ruger p- series. Good, reliable weapon that won't break the bank.

But, if you can fork out the cash, I'd go with a CZ75. Great gun, and you can't go wrong with it.

Let me put it this way- I liked the ruger, but ended up trading it. I've kept the CZ longer than any other gun I've ever bought.

Just my .02

nickc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    sounds like a lot of ppl like the cz's ... i've also thought of a revolver.. I've shot a handgun several times, i'll have to try out a revolver a friend of mine has..
    What would a good revolver to carry be?
    anyone used the bodyguards?

nickc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    i've also been thinking a j-frame.. but since i'm a rookie to handguns.. didn't know about it

Top Bottom