• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I am starting to think about getting a handgun, probably for protection and range use. I don't know if I will ever want to carry it. I know I want a 9mm, and I want a full size (next size down from a 1911). They just feel better in my hand.
    I have looked at a few. The Smith & Wesson M&P feels great, and so does the Springfield XD9. So, I have figured out that I want a full size(not a compact), and that I want 9mm.
    The next thing I am trying to figure out is whether I want a striker-fired or hammer-fired. Can someone please tell me why I would care? Also, I think I understand the difference between Single-action and double-action. Again, why do I care?
    I would appreciate any opinions/instruction that anyone feels like providing. Thanks.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Striker fired would be all internal, think Glock, whereas a hammer fired would be like a 1911.

Single action you have to cock the hammer back, double action just pull the trigger.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    In addition to what stephan87 said: Find a gun shop/range that rents guns and try them out on the range. Next to that, ask friends or other gun people you know to who have hand guns to take you to the range and fire their guns (you buy the ammo:D),

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Tell us your general location (no need to be too specific) and someone will likely be in your area and will help walk you through these things. A mentor, so to speak. I find it helpful to meet with new shooters, let them try some of my personal arms, discuss differences (and similarities) and take a trip to a local gun shop.

That being said, you mentioned 2 quality handguns in the M&P and XD series. Either would be a great start. Both are striker fired, double action, and are available with and without thumb safeties. I prefer without.

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I live in Fishers. I have been over to Eagle Creek Pistol Rnage. I have a Saiga 12 and an Oly AR15. I have taken both over to ECPR, the AR with a 22LR insert.
    I can ask the next time I am at ECPR, or I was thinking about going to Pop guns. Don't they rent guns?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I live in Fishers. I have been over to Eagle Creek Pistol Rnage. I have a Saiga 12 and an Oly AR15. I have taken both over to ECPR, the AR with a 22LR insert.
    I can ask the next time I am at ECPR, or I was thinking about going to Pop guns. Don't they rent guns?

Yes, Pops rents. You might post up a thread saying when you're headed to ECPR. I'll bet someone would be willing to meet you there and give you some pointers and let you try some stuff. I did just that to get a scope zeroed. I met with a member on here who is also an RSO there and he gave me some tips. Other RSOs jumped in to help me as well. I even had an issue with my SIG (read operator error) and an RSO helped me out with that.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Both the XD and Smith models you mentioned are both striker. If you live near Ft Wayne we can take my G17 and XD out to the range so you can try them

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    To me, I like the trigger on the striker fired handguns because you have one consistant trigger instead of going from d/a to s/a on some semi-autos with hammers.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I prefer striker-fired because of the reasons Audie Murphy listed above. Same trigger all the time. No switching between a long double-action pull and a shorter/lighter SA pull. It's all about consistency.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    if you are looking for a reliable pistol id say go for a glock 19. some folks may have a problem with the aesthetics but if you want a gun that will shoot every time you pull the trigger this is your best bet. i have a 2nd gen g19 and i carry it every day because i know that it will go boom every time i pull the trigger.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I prefer striker-fired because of the reasons Audie Murphy listed above. Same trigger all the time. No switching between a long double-action pull and a shorter/lighter SA pull. It's all about consistency.

To expand on this a little. There are Double action only(DAO) hammer fired guns and there are some "hybrid" versions of these. (HK LEM & Sig DAK) The DAOs tend to have a heavier trigger pull than the sticker fired (which are also offten called DAO). This typically makes sticker fired easier to shoot more accurately. The "hybrid" DAOs typically have a lot of slack to take up in the trigger before you get to the heavier trigger pull (usually about the same weight as a striker fired) right before the shot breaks. There are many different options out there and I can't say that one is better than the other(everyone has their own preference and each gun may have a different role), but I think many people like a sticker fired gun for two reasons; 1. The trigger pull is very manageable and consistent. 2. They are very simple to operate.

I would highly recommend taking a NRA basic pistol class. You may not even need to own a pistol before hand as the instructor may have some available to loan or rent for a small fee. Since you have been down to ECPR I will go further and highly recommend Guy Relford as an instructor. He is the owner of Tactical Firearms Training that operates the range at ECPR. He is very well articulated and has some good stories to share as to not make the class dry. I know there are other great instructors should you chose to not got with him.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I would highly recommend a training class. In our NRA Basic Pistol course you get to shoot several of today's most popular handguns. We include the ammo and guns at no extra charge. Once you take the course you will be "Armed With Knowledge" so-to-speak, and will make a much better purchase decision. You will also understand things like single/double/safe action and striker fired VS hammer fired. Check out our web site at Indy Gun Safety Home. Our school and gun shop are located in Fishers at 131st & SR 37.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I would highly recommend a training class. In our NRA Basic Pistol course you get to shoot several of today's most popular handguns. We include the ammo and guns at no extra charge. Once you take the course you will be "Armed With Knowledge" so-to-speak, and will make a much better purchase decision. You will also understand things like single/double/safe action and striker fired VS hammer fired. Check out our web site at Indy Gun Safety Home. Our school and gun shop are located in Fishers at 131st & SR 37.

There you go OP! IIRC, they are also closer to you than ECPR.

[/thread] :D

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    For a first gun I always recommend a gun with a decocker/safety, and those are almost always the DA/SA, hammer fired guns. So take a look at: Ruger P95, Beretta 92FS and PX4, and such. Despite what all the people say, safeties and decockers are useful, and not outdated technology, especially when you are new to handling weapons and need extra assurance that it won't go off accidentally. Most striker fired DAO pistols have no safety, and also require you to pull the trigger to decock them every time you want to break them down for cleaning, which is a recipe for disaster for a beginner. Of course, if you always enforce strict safety, and you learn to check the chamber multiple times visually prior to every dry fire, you'll be fine. But a decocker/safety eliminates the need to always be so paranoid, because you don't have to pull the trigger to decock, and even if you did pull the trigger after decocking it would be impossible to discharge the weapon without first disengaging the safety/decocker!

Reason #2 for a safety: If you ever put your pistol in a glove box or drawer without a holster covering the trigger, then it could accidentally discharge easier without a safety. For example, if you grab the gun and don't know a pen or other clutter has been wedged into the trigger housing, simply moving the gun could engage the trigger, but not if the safety is on. One time I grabbed my gun out of the side of the car door, and it had shifted, so I couldn't grip the handle well, and thought my finger was on the outside of the trigger housing, but when i lifted it was on the actual trigger--luckily safety was on (I pretty much always keep in a holster now ; ). Be aware that things shifting in a drawer can potentially disengage the safety too though.

Lastly, I always turn the safety off and have a loaded chamber when carrying, so the safety does not get in the way. When a holster covers the trigger then the holster IS the safety.

Sorry to rant, but every time I'm in a gun store I hear the guy behind the counter telling beginners that safeties are essentially dumb, and that they should buy a Glock. It is more important that you are comfortable with the weapon you choose IMO, and a Glock is likely not the best choice for a beginner.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom