• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    im wanting to buy a handgun. the thing is idk what to get...ive shot a few glocks and rugers but i dont have the cash to spend on something nice like that. what do you guys recommend i get? i want something in a 40 or 380. people keep telling me to get a 9, but ive always heard people either love them or hate them. ive shot everything from a 380 to a 45. so whats cheap out there, thats also good and reliable.

no high points, thats for the offer though. haha

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Shoot everything you can get your hands on, pick the one that feels the best. Alternatively, decide what you need it to do (daily carry, plinking at the range, deep cover, etc.) and then find one that fits those criteria.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The "love them or hate them" statement is more towards Glocks and less towards 9mm in every case I've ever heard it.

I know it's a drive from Columbus, but set back about $100~200 and go to either Indy Trading Post or Pop Guns and rent some guns and shoot them. I know at Pop it's $11 to rent their guns ($11, use as many guns as you like) but you have to buy the ammo and then there's also range time you have to pay for.

I shot around 8 guns when I went to Pop Guns before buying my first, and I paid $100. I just say to bring a tad more, because I only bought .40 and .45 ammo, if you want to shoot 9mm, 40, 380, 45 - you'll need to buy at least 4 boxes of ammo ranging from $20 to $30 or so each. You'll get 50 rounds of each to fire, so you should have plenty to get a feel for what you do or don't like.

I shot around 5 .40's and 5 .45's when I was there.

I actually bought a .40 and then ended up going for 9mm instead for two reasons:
    1. I shoot better with it
    2. The ammo is cheaper

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Also, go to the Indy 1500 and then you can pick up and handle (but not shoot!) as many as you want for free....ish. Buying a gun is like buying a car. There's no "overall best" one. It's just the one that fits your needs the best, and we don't know your needs.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Just as Scutter has stated, knowing your reasons for the weapon will help define the criteria of the firearm to purchase.
    In My Opinion, there's nothing wrong with any caliber handgun for persoal defense. Any gun is better than none. For me .380 is the smallest caliber for personal protection/defense.
    Scutter's analogy of cars is very accurate. I carry a Glock .40 in various models everyday. I truly respect the Glock for its reliability and commonality between platforms. I shoot my 92fs (9mm) significantly better and recently learned that I can shoot a Walther PPK (380) even better than that.
    BUT it all depends on what the task required of the weapon is. I wouldn't carry a PPK as a primary combat weapon and I wouldn't carry a Glock 22 as a deep concealed carry weapon.
    Good luck sorting out your needs vs. wants.

Stay safe

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You should consider going to the Camp Atterbury Range Complex as it'll be closer to you. They rent various handgun types. The cost will be much less than at a shooting range in Indy. I paid $17 today to shoot for 30 minutes to try out the Smith & Wesson Shield that I purchased today.

If you go to the Atterbury Range Complex, $17 will get you almost 3 hours of range time. You can rent pistols there for $5, but you have to purchase the ammo from them, so you can shoot several varieties. You can purchase targets there too.

I highly recommend this range. Their website: http://atterburyshootingcomplex.com

Grunt

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Cheap quality .380 = Bersa Thunder. There is one in INGO classified for $250.
    Also check out Kel Tec for about the same price, .380 and 9mm.
    For slighty more, Ruger makes great guns in 380 and 9mm.

9mm is the most popular round, and cheaper to shoot than .380 right now...

I would recommend the S&W M&P Shield in 9mm, or Bodyguard in .380 if you can spend $400 or more.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    There are so many fine guns, that in honesty, you've gotten the best advice in defining what you want, and what you want to do with it. Guns to my mind are a tool, are purpose built, and do not work for every person (not every gun works for every person).

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I have to admit (even also being a .40 and .45 enthusiast/user) that whomever told you 9mm is hate it or love it....
    Probably spends too much time on the internets and not enough time in the range developing a logical opinion on that caliber.

If their argument is "it's not big enough of a round to kill anyone"... ask them to be your first test target and see if it hurts.
    If they're saying +1 to .380.... well, again, caliber size arguments [insert personal preference here].
    Hate it or love it is going to come down to what specific firearm you shoot best and handle well.

ie. You may hate a Glock 19, but love the feel of M&P9 (both in 9mm caliber).

Good luck with your decision,

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    What is your budget? That would be a good starting point.

I would highly recommend purchasing something in 9mm PARA; inexpensive to shoot, easy to locate ammunition, major caliber.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    For lower cost guns, I like a Bersa, a Stoeger Cougar or a Ruger LC series pistol (LCP or LC9). You might find a Kel-Tec that is a bit cheaper than a similar Ruger, but I would take the Ruger over the Kel-Tec. I would also lok at a S&W SW series.

I am a bit confused by your preference for 380 or 40. For the budget conscious shooter, 9 MM is usually a better choice.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    I had forgotten about the Stoeger Cougar; I have seen prices that start with the number 2 for lightly used Cougars. Excellent pistol for the money.

mrp010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Granger IN
    I would go with a quality 9mm. Excellent first gun. Cheap and easy to shoot but still in a very effective caliber.

Glock, XD, M&P are all good choices that can be found in the 400-500 dollar range.

Kahr CW9 or CM9 can be had for a bit less. 340-400.

Go handle them all and see how they feel. Rent or borrow to see how they shoot.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    My first is going to be a full framed 22. I had my eye on a M&P but I found a great deal on a Sig 226 that I am going to get. I took a NRA class and shot the class Rugers very well. When I moved up to the larger calibers I had a flinch that was really bothering me. I had the same issues when I went to the rang with a friend.

Ive shot many thousands of rounds through pellet rifles since I was a kid. At that range day I shot all my buddys rifles very well and without any flinch. I attribute that to all teh rounds I shot through the pellet rifles.

My hope is to get comfortable with the large framed 22 and then get a conversion barrel for 9mm and by that time I will be used to that gun and will shoot it without any flinching. In the mean time I will have honed my skills on a quality gun with cheap to shoot ammo.

Rip007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    If you plan on shooting it ( which I recommend) I would get a 9mm. The ammo is cheaper and more available.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Fondle as many as you can. Don't get a 380 unless you are looking at a pocket pistol (LCP), which I don't recommend for your first. 380 is expensive and 9mm packs more punch. I have never heard someone shooting a 9mm say "Man, I wish this was a 380 instead". Go with whatever feels best. If you have no intention to use it for defensive purposes (bedside gun, carry gun) then consider a 22 like the P22 so you can afford to shoot it a lot more.

cluznar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    I carry my Bersa Thunder .380 sometimes and trust it completely.
    I also carry a Ruger SR9c 9mm at times, very nice weapon.

If you like .40 check out the Ruger SR40 and SR40c they are nice shooting guns.

:welcome:

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    The brand Taurus gets a bad rap for being made in Brazil and thus "cheap" guns but I disagee. I've owned 4 pistols and 1 revolver. And had good experiences with all of them. Recently I purchased a used PT24/7 in .45 for $330 out the door and its worked great (only shot 100 rounds so far), but zero problems so it has become my truck gun since it works well but is way less then say a mid or high end 1911 Or even a glock. So if it gets stolen it won't make me shed a tear Then again I suppose you could find a second hand glock for around the same price.

Last edited:

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    The brand Taurus gets a bad rap for being made in Brazil and thus "cheap" guns but I disagee. I've owned 4 pistols and 1 revolver. And had good experiences with all of them. Recently I purchased a used PT24/7 in .45 for $330 out the door and its worked great (only shot 100 rounds so far), but zero problems so it has become my truck gun since it works well but is way less then say a mid or high end 1911 Or even a glock. So if it gets stolen it won't make me shed a tar Then again I suppose you could find a second hand glock for around the same price.

I bought a Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm last year and have shot about 400 rounds through it and I absolutely love it. This is my first Taurus, but I can't figure out why people don't like them. I paid $389 for mine.

Top Bottom