• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mahlss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    My wife and I just received our LTCH's and we are shopping for best options for carry. We have been told to look for low maintenance, revolver, lightweight, hammerless, .38. Possibly Ruger LCR or S&W 442. Any suggestions and/or advice? Thanks.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Do you have experience shooting handguns? A revolver can be a not so good choice for a first gun.

Find a gun range that rents guns, or a friend, and shoot as much as you can. Decide for yourself if you like semi-autos or revolvers more. Then to what brand you like best. Shoot as much as you can and reach your own conclusions.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Revolvers can help institute proper trigger control and front sight focus, but you need to practice A LOT and become proficient with it. Small guns are not the best for a first weapon. Carry the biggest gun you can comfortably carry. Something with a full grip is easier to control.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Take a Basic Pistol Course BEFORE you ake the purchase! There are several instructors on here and believe me you will be glad you did! I have student show up all the time with new guns they can't operate for a multitude of reasons. Al because they had no experience and bought what somebody told them to get. In a class you get to try several on for size and practice loading unloading and dry firing a wide variety of handguns. (At least in MY class!) This will help you with your purchase. Good luck!

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    If you're a beginner;
    While the operation of a revolver is easier than a semi-auto they generally speaking have a longer, harder trigger pull and can a lot more practice to accurately shoot. I would highly recommend trying out as many different guns as possible before putting several hundred dollars toward a gun that may or may not suite you. All reviews can only go so far there is a big personal factor involved with how the gun feels in your hand, and how you handle the recoil.
    That's my two cents worth now I'll step aside and let others chime in. Oh, if you go pops they have several guns that you can rent and try out. might be worth checking out. (Just don't buy your gun from Pops. They're too high.)

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    From personal experience, I don't think your first handgun should be purchased as a carry gun. Invest in a nice Ruger MKIII, practice (cheaply) the basics, then graduate.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    FWIW

I read somewhere that to choose a firearm that will be comfortable in your hand, do the following.

Pick up a handgun and aim it at a chosen target. As soon as you have achieved a sight picture, close your eyes for ten seconds. Open your eyes and note how far off your target you are now aiming. If the handgun is of the correct size and weight, you will not be far off your target. IF, however, you are WAY off, try another make/model, until you find one you can hold close to "on target".

Sounds a little odd, but it HAS helped a few friends choose their first handguns? :dunno:

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I read somewhere that to choose a firearm that will be comfortable in your hand, do the following.

Pick up a handgun and aim it at a chosen target. As soon as you have achieved a sight picture, close your eyes for ten seconds. Open your eyes and note how far off your target you are now aiming. If the handgun is of the correct size and weight, you will not be far off your target. IF, however, you are WAY off, try another make/model, until you find one you can hold close to "on target".

Sounds a little odd, but it HAS helped a few friends choose their first handguns? :dunno:

I'd never heard that before, but it sounds like it would help.:yesway:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IMO and experience, a "snubbie" DAO revolver is about the most difficult weapon to learn to shoot well with there is. It takes training and a lot of dedicated practice to become even modestly proficient, and the very lightweight models such as the LCR and Air Weight S&Ws mentioned above can make that an even more challenging process.

I'd also agree with those who've suggested that enrolling her in a basic handgun class where she can have the opportunity to try an assortment of different platforms and calibers and/or going to a shop with range facilities and rental weapons available before making a purchase decision.

As Clint Smith is fond of repeating, choosing a handgun to carry for self defense needs to be based primarily on what is most comforting rather than what seems to be the most convenient or comfortable to wear. It may take some looking to find out which weapon does that for her, but her choice needs to be based on trial and first-hand experience rather than hearsay or "conventional wisdom", IMHO.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Take a Basic Pistol Course BEFORE you make the purchase! There are several instructors on here and believe me you will be glad you did! I have student show up all the time with new guns they can't operate for a multitude of reasons. Al because they had no experience and bought what somebody told them to get. In a class you get to try several on for size and practice loading unloading and dry firing a wide variety of handguns. (At least in MY class!) This will help you with your purchase. Good luck!

I couldn't agree more with IGS. Take the class and see what you like.. I took one about a year ago and I was stunned at the people that had guns that they couldn't shoot for one reason or another.. It's also something that can be fun to do together. Have fun and enjoy the community:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I have to agree with IndyGunSafety, too. I made the mistake of buying my first weapon on the advise of a well meaning friend. Then, I took the NRA basic class and was able to shoot wheel guns, semi autos and different calibers. Ended up trading my first gun for my M&P and I LOVE it!
    I recommend the class first, but if that isn't an option, go to Pop's or a place where you can rent different guns to shoot and try out what you will like. Or, find a shooting friend and go to the range with them. I've taken a few of my friends out to shoot what I have so see if they like it. Then you can make a choice suited to YOUR needs. :)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My wife and I just received out LTCH's and we are shopping for best options for carry. We have been told to look for low maintenance, revolver, lightweight, hammerless, .38. Possibly Ruger LCR or S&W 442. Any suggestions and/or advice? Thanks.

I recommend 3" or 4" revolvers as a first gun, but not the snubbies. They can be difficult to shoot well, and unpleasant to shoot. Not a good choice to learn to shoot on. In revolvers, a 3" Ruger SP101 is a great gun both for carrying and shooting. At 27 ounces, it's much heavier than the lightweight choices, but with .38 Special +Ps it's very pleasant to shoot and the extra barrel length (and attendant extra sight radius) makes for a much easier gun to shoot well.

Other choices for carry guns that are pleasant to learn on and still easy carrying (and there are certainly others):

Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact, my every day carry and a gun which has very quickly become one of my all time favorites
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Glock 19

The above are listed in order of my personal preference. Objectively, each is as good as the other. Subjectively, they are very different, and the subjective factors are important. Best bet is to get with folks that have what you want to try out and actually shoot them.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Take the basic pistol class before you buy. Remember it may be tough to find a firearm that both of you can be proficiant with. Each of you may want to get your own pistol or revolver.

luckydog465

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    You will more than likely have to buy two guns. Once for each. Also, more than likely you will not be together at the same time anyhow. Two is always better when it comes to guns:draw:. I would take the advise of others and take a course and see what you each like. Whatever you buy always be careful and responsible with it and you will up a happy customer.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    choose like you buy shoes. With training and practice, you can learn to shoot anything proficiently. If you're near Grant County, I can put a bunch of different guns in your hands to try out.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I agree with Jay, you can learn to use anything proficiently with practice and proper techniques (and there are several techniques that will work).

A lightweight DAO (double action only) revolver is easy to learn use but is difficult to shoot quickly and accurately.

A compact semi-auto is, in my opinion, no more difficult to learn to use properly than a revolver, but in my experience, is easier for more people to get to the point where they are shooting quickly and accurately with a semi-auto.

For a first gun I would choose a steel frame revolver over a lightweight one, and a double action over a DAO.

I would chose an semi-auto without safties over one with safeties (Springfield XD, Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P).

And if you know this will be for carry I would go ahead and get a compact or subcompact (Glock 19, 23, 26, 27 or XD9sc, XD40sc, or M&P 9c or 40c) whichever one fits your hand best and then learn to use it.

9mm will kick less and give you a few more rounds than .40 S&W

If you decide revolver then make sure (if it's a .38 Special) that it will handle +P loads. You will eventually want to work up to +P even if you start out with light target .38 loads.

I'm in the Westfield area and teach in Danville and would also be glad to help out.

It's also very likely that you and your spouse will choose different guns.

Top Bottom