• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Ok, I have been taking my mom to the range and going over basics with her a few times here lately. She has owned a pistol for quite some time but never practiced much. However, here recently she told me that it is time to learn more about how to shoot and wanted to learn to defend herself as well as get her permit. So, we have went to the range and she has shot her .38 as well as my M&P autos and a couple others which led to her deciding she does not want a .38 anymore. It was interesting to see her come to the decision on her own as she said it was a major fear of her to only have five shots where the M&P9c gives her twelve. Also, it was her opinion that it was much easier to shoot the M&P over her .38 which kind of surprised me.

Now, I am still taking her to the range and we have went over safety A LOT as well as shooting but I would like to get her a pistol class as a gift later in the year. However, I do not know what would be a good class to teach more fundamentals to a newer shooter or better yet where to get it at? For me I am looking at different types of classes such as Tactical Response but for her I was thinking maybe NRA basic type courses. Are there any offered in central Indiana that are taught by good instructors or groups? Also, are there any tailor made for new women shooters?

Thanks

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Typically, the NRA basic class is a good first start for a beginner. This is always questionable because each "beginner" has a variety of different levels of experience so they are likely to cover material the person is familiar with already (ie cleaning, safety, etc.)

If you feel she is past such a point then it will be a matter of determining where she should start.

There is no shortage of instructors in the central/Indy area. Several are site advertisers and many others who are not.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Women's Event at Riley Conservation Club
    Sunday June 23, 2013
    Noon start
    $5 cost must rsvp via email. For more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women_and_firearms/286813-womens_shooting_event_june_23rd-3.html
    Still plenty of room in this one.

Do the women's event and this class:
    Basic Pistol July 6 MCFG
    When: 8am to 12pm
    Where: Marion County Fish and Game

Cost: $65 plus $10 range fee if not a MCFG member
    Instructor: Aron Bright

Basic Pistol
    This is a four hour class designed for the new gun owner or entry level shooter. There will be a two hour classroom session and a two hour range session that covers: safety, storage, loading, unloading, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, grip, malfunction reduction. Students will need 200 rounds of ammunition, gun, ear protection, eye protection, 2-3 magazines, and a case for their gun.

To register for the class email me for the registration form. Your spot in class will be held when the form and payment are returned. Range fee to be paid separately the day of class.

This class is the place to for new gun owners or new shooter or folks who have been away from shooting for some time. All questions will be answered in addition to the above topics. My experience is that 150-200 rounds is about the perfect number to learn to shoot initially. If you are looking for a great value and some quality instruction get signed up.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    It sounds like she is comfortable shooting. Is she comfortable enough to go to the range without you and shoot on her own? Does she have a holster? Does she have a good grasp of basic, static marksmanship fundamentals? Can she articulate what those fundamentals are? Does she have a good grasp of gun handling, muzzle awareness, etc? Does she need a class to teach those things? Does she want a class that focuses on shooting skills or that introduces some defense-related topics?-

Last edited:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Jackson asks some good questions. It sounds like she needs something more than NRA basic, since you have gone over safety and she has progressed to the point where she has chosen one pistol over another.

What is her approximate age and fitness level?

She would probably be well served to take a solid day long defensive pistol type class that teaches her how to fight with a gun, before the fight, during the fight and after the fight.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I agree with the above statements. I have seen newcomers (little range experience) handled quite well in ACT's DP101 course (Defense pistol with classroom instruction and range time), and Coach had my wife (Little experience shooting at the time) doing accurate double taps on multiple targets inside of 2 hours.
    Newer shooters tend to soak the instruction in much more than older shooters with years of bad habits. You may be surprised at just how well she does.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Jackson asks some good questions. It sounds like she needs something more than NRA basic, since you have gone over safety and she has progressed to the point where she has chosen one pistol over another.

What is her approximate age and fitness level?

She would probably be well served to take a solid day long defensive pistol type class that teaches her how to fight with a gun, before the fight, during the fight and after the fight.

I was thinking NRA basic might be not enough of a progression for where she is right now. She is mid 40's and descent shape (i.e. works 40-50hrs a week) and not a office worker. A class that teaches some more practical shooting and the when and when not to use a gun is something that really is an interest for me to find her. The reason I say this is that right now we are strictly range training and like most ranges have constrictions such as not being able to practice drawing and firing or other things that can be taught in a structured class. I am looking at the class offered by Coach but this month is a little early for a class but I know I would like to get her one for later in the year.

A few months ago I would have not thought about a class but over the last few months she has tole me that she wants to shoot and like said before decided on what she wanted to shoot. In my opinion that is a big step from having to convince someone they need to learn or need to go to the range. The mindset has changed and is more forward thinking now which is why the class idea is something that I feel will be a good gift. A shooting class is what is my first priority for her but I know that Mindset Labs force on force will be something I strongly suggest later after getting to take it with Shay a month ago.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    General firearms knowledge: NRA Basic Pistol (terminology, how to load a single action revolver, ...)
    Firearms self defense: James Ashby First Action Self-Defense | Certified Defensive Firearms & NRA Instruction
    Improving shooting skill: Coach

You are wise to recognize that she is likely ready for more practical training. If you get her to take one class you will be lucky. Don't waste that opportunity, and don't come up with some kind of 37 course ninja training plan that she will almost certainly never do. If her goal is to become more capable in defending her life, focus on that.

Good luck,
    Dave Rose

Top Bottom