• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Hello again everyone. Now that my LTCH is finally on its way, I will be buying a 45 to carry. Ive shot some XDs and S&W 45s before. But as with a lot of people, the 1911 fits perfect in my hand. I understand the capacity differences from a 1911 to a XD.

I have been looking at the Ruger SR1911 Cmd. At my price point of 500-750, it seems like the best I can afford. Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks

ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Well, I have a 3" barrel Kimber, and a full sized SR1911. Shooting I prefer the Ruger, carry would be the Kimber simply because of size. People freak out when they can actually see the gun, and there just isn't that much room in my pants.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Well, I have a 3" barrel Kimber, and a full sized SR1911. Shooting I prefer the Ruger, carry would be the Kimber simply because of size. People freak out when they can actually see the gun, and there just isn't that much room in my pants.

Yeah that just kind of paints a vivid picture. Anyways......

Cannot go wrong with a Ruger 1911 from all that I have heard about them. My first carry was a Springfield 1911 and I still have it, but do not carry it anymore. I bought a Glock G22 over the summer and after taking it to the range, I was sold on carrying that. Nice fit, feel, lightweight, high capacity mags, tough finish, the list of positives goes on. Of course between the 1911 and the Glock I have carried many other things including a 6" Ruger 44 mag, a bunch of second and third generation S&W autos, and a few smaller pocket guns too. I would not hesitate to go back to the 1911, especially a Ruger. At this point though I am happy with the poly model and will stick with it for a bit.

Whatever you are going to carry, make sure you have a good holster and a good belt to hold that holster up. Get yourself out to the range and practice your shot. Make sure your ammo of choice is reliable in your gun. Practice your draw and re-holstering until you do not have to look down to do either.

9MillSBR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Glock 19 in Gen3 or Gen4 is a great investment. I carry mine with a WML, because without light at night how do you know who you are shooting at?

You will be happy with it, but you should make sure you try out any carry pistols. It really comes down to the user.

9MillSBR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah that just kind of paints a vivid picture. Anyways......

Cannot go wrong with a Ruger 1911 from all that I have heard about them. My first carry was a Springfield 1911 and I still have it, but do not carry it anymore. I bought a Glock G22 over the summer and after taking it to the range, I was sold on carrying that. Nice fit, feel, lightweight, high capacity mags, tough finish, the list of positives goes on. Of course between the 1911 and the Glock I have carried many other things including a 6" Ruger 44 mag, a bunch of second and third generation S&W autos, and a few smaller pocket guns too. I would not hesitate to go back to the 1911, especially a Ruger. At this point though I am happy with the poly model and will stick with it for a bit.

Whatever you are going to carry, make sure you have a good holster and a good belt to hold that holster up. Get yourself out to the range and practice your shot. Make sure your ammo of choice is reliable in your gun. Practice your draw and re-holstering until you do not have to look down to do either.

+1

I wouldnt use the size of your gun as a bargaining point though :)

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Decided to keep it around the under $600 range. Reason is so I can get a .22 my girlfriend can shoot (never shot a gun before). So that narrows down to the Xd, mp or glock. I prefer .45acp but Im not a caliber snob.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Keep your eye on the Classifieds here on INGO, as there are some great deals out there. I just picked up a Glock 26 Gen 3 for a good price last weekend and I've seen a couple Glock 17's and Glock 23's go for decent prices recently as well. Nice things I've found about the experience is that you don't have to pay anything extra, just the price agreed on, you get to meet a fellow INGO'er and you get some feedback scoring for a good transaction. All positives in my mind. If you do want to buy new, you can look into joining the GSSF for 2 years in order to get vouchers (1 per year) to pick up a Glock at blue label pricing (around $425 for a Glock 19 with standard sights, as an example). You'll need to verify your LGS has blue label priced guns in stock, but it's a good way to save a little money if you're buying new.

BTW, my advice is to echo Tyler-The-Piker. Just find a way to fire a few different ones until you decide on the size, caliber, etc that you prefer. Good luck.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Get a CZ 75B in 9mm or .40. With the safety model you can still carry cocked and locked and with extended magazines you can have 19+1 available. You can get a new one for around $500 and it is one of the most reliable and accurate you will ever shoot. Plenty of after-market parts and accessories.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I see SR1911s in the classifieds in that $600 range. The CMD is a bit harder to find. For the money these might be the best value in 1911s right now.

I carry a Glock 23 and full size 1911. To be honest the only reason I carry the Glock anymore is because it is just a bit smaller. My 1911 has a magwell so the grip is long. Otherwise I think the 1911 sits better on the hip. The SR1911CMD would carry very well. If that is what the OP likes then go for it. (I would recommend staying with the 4.25" or 5" 1911s when getting started)

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I carry a Glock 27 daily. The 40 S&W will expand to 0.80 or larger depending on the bullet type. It can have a sharp recoil that you can master with practice. I use a Pearson extension on the magazine and that provides 10 rounds in the gun. If the grip is too short, then go to G23. I do carry a 45acp at times but it is "old school". I carry a Detonics Combat Masterpiece. The only problem it is heavy (all SS) and only has 6 rounds. Great caliber but I carry a S&W 642 as a BUG. I prefer the 10 rounds of 40 S&W for my primary carry firearm. The Glock 27 or 23 will hit your price point with ease. There are 100s of after market parts to use if wanted.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Ive decided to go the 1911 route. Im liking the sr1911 cmd a lot. Cant beat it for the price i think. Maybe the r1 but i would have to add different sights

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ive decided to go the 1911 route. Im liking the sr1911 cmd a lot. Cant beat it for the price i think. Maybe the r1 but i would have to add different sights

R1 is pretty nice gun. The R1 carry commander size is nice looking. I think a bit over priced. I would go with the Rugser myself.

Sledge357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    Bluffton
    You can't go wrong with the SR1911CMD. As a 1911, it is one of the best values on the market. If you are set on a 1911 for EDC, you won't be disappointed choosing this model. Out of the box, it's a good set up. And if later you want to throw some slim grips and night sights, maybe a short safety it's easy. I have the 5" SR1911 I've upgraded the grips and sights on and love it.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I'm going to risk coming across as a bit of a dick, but get it and shoot it before you start customizing it.

PLM2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Ashley, DeKalb County
    IMHO if you are going to go with a 1911 I would go with the Taurus PT1911. I have one and it feels good and shoots great, plus it has a lifetime warranty. You can get one for less than $700.

Top Bottom