• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Okay I did my first batch of bullets last night. I'd used my 45 acp mold, my 357 mag mold, in my 9mm. The 45 acp and the 357 mag both dropped beautiful bullets with not much effort. With the 45 acp in the 357 mag I got 200 good bullets in the excalibur with a bout a 10 percent cull. The 9 on the other hand was a different story. I cast probly 100 9mm and did not end up with 1 usable bullet. They all look like they had paint sags in the lead. I tried different temperatures with the lead and mold in that did not seem to make a difference. What am I doing wrong? I do like making bullets though it's like magic, first I had no bullets now I have bullets...

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    My first guess is mold was not hot enough. What kind of mold? Cavities?

Second guess, vent lines are not cut through to the cavity.

Wavy boolits are usually the mold temp too low. If it is neither of the above, it could be your alloy. If it was the same alloy you were using in the other molds, that should rule the alloy out.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    +1 on the mold being not be hot enough. try dipping the corner of the mold in the lead for 20-30 seconds to help get the mold up to temp. You can also preheat it on a hotplate.

What kind of mold are you using?

How long does is it taking for the sprue to harden?

When the sprue does harden can you cut it with your gloved hand or do you have to tap or beat it with a dowel?

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Without pictures it's hard to tell exactly what your boolits loo like. But another possibility is that your mold is not free of oils, especially if it is new. I will usually spray mine with brake cleaner then I wash them with very hot water and dish soap, using a tooth brush to scrub them.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Well it was a mixture of things I figured out. One was I didn't have the mold clean. After I got it clean and nicking the edge of one. But after getting it cleaned up got good bullets out of the good cavity only after turning up the temp. The 45 n 357 poured good on number 4 and the 9 had to run up to 6the before they turned out. I'm using all lee equipment. Guess i'll chalk the ruined mold up too learning curve.
    Thanks for the help. I've already got 1000 good bullets. Don't know why I didn't try this before.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    You didn't mention it so I'll throw it out there. I'm wondering if you smoked each cavity with a candle or bic lighter ? It will help to clear impurities and aid in the bullets dropping out better.

onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I smoked them and had bullets sticking bad so I cleaned the w so simple green n carb cleaner then polished them with aluminum polish. Drops way better.

Top Bottom